The Resource For Musicals

Les Miserables Forum

Reply to topic  [ 176 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next
Les Mis FAQ 
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Current Obsession: MUSIC in MUSICals
Main Role: Fan
Yes, Moci put up even a better one in the past.

Now, i think this has some very useful stuff, but there is something i categorically disagree with. The issue of frequently discussed topics.

While Moci is right in giving a warning, i think people who start a topic that has been discussed shouldn't be attcked, because it is against the very core, and spirit of this forum.

Just try and put yourself in their shoes. Try and remember when YOU first saw Les Miserables and were desperate to talk about it. Why denying other people something that you enjoyed? This is very unfair.

If there are enough people who want to discuss who was the better Eponine/Enjolras, i say good luck to them. I probably won't join, but let them enjoy the ride.

And so what if some teenage girl thinks she is like Eponine? Giving her the same answer that "You are not living in the street blah blah blah" is becoming just as boring as the statment itself.

If you don't like the topic, leave it alone.

At the end of the day, the purpose of this place is to talk about Les Miserables, and it seems absurd to me to attack people for doing that.

Wholeheartedly agree with every point you made.

Fri Sep 21, 2007 11:02 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Yes, Moci put up even a better one in the past.

Yes, I rather stupidly seem to have misplaced the disc that I'd saved it on and it was deleted from the forum when it was pruned. I tried to include everything that I could remember being important, although some things were now pretty unnecessary (I seem to remember that a chunk of it helped with dates for the 3NT and that there was a question asking "Is 'Les Mis' going to be back on Broadway soon?", to which I'd replied saying that it was unlikely and give it ten years or so!).

LesMisForever wrote:
While Moci is right in giving a warning, i think people who start a topic that has been discussed shouldn't be attcked, because it is against the very core, and spirit of this forum.

Just try and put yourself in their shoes. Try and remember when YOU first saw Les Miserables and were desperate to talk about it. Why denying other people something that you enjoyed? This is very unfair.

If there are enough people who want to discuss who was the better Eponine/Enjolras, i say good luck to them. I probably won't join, but let them enjoy the ride.

And so what if some teenage girl thinks she is like Eponine? Giving her the same answer that "You are not living in the street blah blah blah" is becoming just as boring as the statment itself.

If you don't like the topic, leave it alone.

At the end of the day, the purpose of this place is to talk about Les Miserables, and it seems absurd to me to attack people for doing that.

I have to admit, the repeating of topics is one of the reasons why I re-wrote the FAQ. You are right that it's not particularly correct to yell at people for starting a topic and I wouldn't set out to condone it, but it happens and is going to continue happening and avoiding these areas of confrontation by not starting the topics in the first place, to me seems like a fair solution. I completely agree with your statement of "If you don't like the topic, leave it alone", but thinking back to when I was 13 or so and first started posting on messageboards, at first one of the things that I was most interested in was other people's responses to threads which I'd started. Whilst I would never presume that anybody else was the same as I was, I always think that it's nice and welcoming to post on a thread that a 'newbie' starts, yet I have absolutely no intention of posting my thoughts on my favourite song in 'Les Mis' for the considerable future. The topics mentioned above though are naturally ones which people understandably want to post their thoughts on when first entering the fandom, which is why in the FAQ I've included a link to the 'Dead Horse' thread. Although it was probably started by OF as a place for taking the mickey out of the oft-posted questions, it does seem to me to be as good a place as any for people to post their thoughts, without expecting too many responses, as you might to a nice, shiny new thread. That was, we can all hopefully ignore it better contained in one thread, whilst still having the ability for those who we are welcoming to the forum to post their thoughts and if any particularly interesting ideas are brought up, then they can be replied to. For example, if anybody posted that their favourite song was 'Turning' or that Hal Fowler in 'Hey Mr. Producer' was a considerably better Enjolras than Warlow and Maguire put together, I'd be most interested in discussing it with them and finding out why and would be perfectly happy to return to a thread that I'd normally not reply to.

I don't know if anyone will consider this a satisfactory response, but I felt that I should try to justify my reasoning for placing what I did into the FAQ. :D

Sat Sep 22, 2007 7:38 am
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

OK sorry, I know I'm not part of your discussion, but I just read Les Mis FAQ and wondered something about the show I thought maybe you "veterans" can answere.. :)

What cast was actually part of the Tenth Anniversary Concert, where did they sing ten years ago? I started to wonder, because when I saw the show at the Queen's two weeks ago (this very evening :wink: ) i got this big brochure that had a list of the persons who were part of the Original Cast, 21st Anniversary etc, but only a few of those in the 10th Ann. Concert stood there...? Like Philip Quast for example, in what show has he been Javert before? :?:

I'm confused! :P

- Sorry for the English, I am originally Swedish :wink:

Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:52 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

OK sorry, I know I'm not part of your discussion, but I just read Les Mis FAQ and wondered something about the show and thought maybe you "veterans" can answere..

No need to be sorry and feel welcome to join in any discussions that you'd like to. :D

soph-les-mis wrote:
What cast was actually part of the Tenth Anniversary Concert, where did they sing ten years ago? I started to wonder, because when I saw the show at the Queen's two weeks ago (this very evening :wink: ) i got this big brochure that had a list of the persons who were part of the Original Cast, 21st Anniversary etc, but only a few of those in the 10th Ann. Concert stood there...? Like Philip Quast for example, in what show has he been Javert before? :?:

Here's a list of the TAC cast and where they'd been in Les Mis before, to the best of my knowledge:

Valjean: Colm Wilkinson
London- 1985 - 1986
Broadway 1987 - 1988
Toronto 1998 - 1999
UK Tour (Dublin) 1999
Third National Tour (San Francisco and Shanghi, China) 2002
Tenth Anniversary Concert 1995
Hey Mr Producer! Segment 1998

Javert: Philip Quast
Sydney, Australia 1987
London 1989
Adelaide, Australia 1991
Brisbane, Australia 1991
Auckland, New Zealand 1991
UK Tour (Manchester) 1992

Fantine: Ruthie Henshall
London 1992
London 1996
Chelmsford Concert 1997

Thénardier: Alun Armstrong
London 1985-1986

Mme Thénardier: Jenny Galloway
London 1993/4
Broadway 2006/7
Sweden/Norway/Denmark Concerts 2002

Marius: Michael Ball
London 1985 - 1986
(Jean Valjean at Windsor Castle Concert 2004)

Eponine:Lea Salonga
Broadway 1993
London 1996
Third National Tour (Honolulu) 1996
(Fantine on Broadway 2007)

Cosette:Judy Kuhn
Broadway 1987-8

Enjolras: Michael Maguire
Broadway 1987-8

Grantaire: Anthony Crivello
Broadway 1987-8
(Javert on Broadway 1987/8-ish)

Little Cosette: Hannah Chick
London 1993/4

Gavroche: Adam Searles
London 1994
Chelmsford Concert 1997
UK Tour (Plymouth) 1997

Convict: Craig Pinder
(Courfeyrac)
London 1985-6
(Valjean)
London 1988

Convict: Mark McKerracher
(Valjean)
Broadway 1992 - 1993
London 1993
UK Tour (Edinburgh) ?
First National Tour ?

Convict: James Staddon
(Comberferre)
London 1992
(Javert)
London 1993 - 1995

Convict: Phil Cavill
(Valjean)
London 1994 - 1996
London 2006
UK Tour (Edinburgh) 1998

Convict: Jeff Leyton
(Valjean)
UK Tour (Manchester & Edinburgh)- 1992/3
London 1995
London 1997
UK Tour (Bristol)- 1998
UK Tour (Manchester) 2000
Chelmsford Concert 1997
Belfast Concert 2001
London 2003/4

Farmer: Halcro Johnston
(Brujon)
London 1989-90

Labourer/Jean Prouvaire: Peter Polycarpou
(Jean Prouvaire)
London 1985 - 1986
(Grantaire)
London 1986
(Thénardier)
1992 - 1993

Bishop: Paul Monaghan:
(Bishop/Lesgles)
London 1992/3
(Bishop/Combeferre)
UK Tour 2000
London 2000 -2002

Constable: Jonathan Hart
(Jean Prouvaire)
London 1995
(Grantaire)

Constable: Glyn Kerslake
(Swing)
London 1988
Enjolras 1996-8

Factory Foreman: Michael McCarthy
(Factory Foreman/Combeferre)
London 1990-91
(Javert)
UK Tour (Manchester & Edinburgh) 1992/3
London 1995-7
Sydney/Melbourne, Australia 1997/8
London 2001/2
Third National Tour (San Francisco & Shanghai, China) 2002
Broadway 2003
London 2003-2005
Chelmsford Concert 1997
Windsor Castle Concert 2004

Worker: Nigel Richards
(Factory Foreman/Combeferre)
London 1992
(Grantaire)
London 1993

Worker: Christopher Beck
(Joly)
London 1985-6

Worker: Gary Huddleston
(Feuilly)
London 1985 – 1987

Worker: Catherine Breeze
(Ensemble)
London 1992/3
(Mme Thénardier)
UK Tour 1997-9

Worker: Rachel Spry
(Ensemble)
UK Tour 1992
Chelmsford Concert 1997
London 2001

Worker: Sally Bourne
(Swing)
London 1995/6
(Ensemble)

Worker: Sally Mates
(Ensemble)
London 1985/6

Factory Girl: Jackie Marks
(Factory Girl)
London 1985
(Fantine)
London 1985/6

Sailor: Shaun Kerrison
(Swing)
London 1992/3
(Feuilly)
London 1993/4

Sailor: Graham Gill
(Joly)
London 1986-8

Sailor: James Powell
(Joly)
London 1993-6

Crone: Beverly Klein
(Crone)
London 1985/6

Whore: Juliet Alderice
(Swing)
London 1986/7

Whore: Rosemary Ashe
(Mme Thénardier)
London 1992/3
London 2002/3
Exeter & Romsey Concerts 2004

Whore: Valda Aviks
(Ensemble)
London 1990-2
(Crone)

Whore: Mary Louise Clarke
(Cosette)
London 1988

Whore: Lindsey Danvers
(Swing)
London 1992
(Fantine)
London 1993-5
UK Tour (Bristol and Manchester) 1999-2000

Whore: Sarah Jane Hassell
(Cosette)
London 1990-2

Whore: Liza Hayden
(Ensemble, u/s Gavroche)
London 1985- 87

Whore: Lisa Hull
(Cosette)
London 1989/90
London 1996

Whore: Alison Jiear
(Ensemble)
London 1993

Whore: Aline Mowat
(Ensemble)
1985-7

Whore: Jayne O’Mahoney
(Little Cosette)
London 1985-6
(Ensemble)
London 1995
London 1997
UK Tour 1999/2000

Whore: Fiona Sinnott
(Cosette)
UK Tour 1992/3

Whore: Gemma Wardle
(Ensemble)
UK Tour 1992/3
(Eponine)
London 1993-5
London 1997/8
UK Tour
London 2004/5

Whore: Helene Witcombe
(Ensemble)
UK Tour 1992/3

Pimp: Andy Reiss
(Combeferre)
UK Tour 1992/3
London 1994

Bamatabois: Gareth Snook
(Grantaire/Bamatabois)
London 1988

Old Prostitute: Jill Martin
(Ensemble)
London 1985-6

Madeleine: Jacinta Whyte
(Ensemble)
London 1989
(Eponine)
UK Tour 1993
London 1995

Combeferre: David Bardsley
(Combeferre)
London 1994
(Grantaire)
London 1994
(Enjolras)
London 1995/6
UK Tour (Dublin) 1999
Chelmsford Concert 1997

Feuilly: Matthew Cammelle
(Jean Prouvaire)
London 1993/4
(Feuilly)
London 1994/5
(Marius)
London 1995/6
Chelmsford Concert 1997
(Enjolras- alternate for the nights when Glyn Kerslake was in ‘Martin Guerre’)
London 1997/8
(Enjolras)
London 1998
(Ensemble)

Courfeyrac: Jérôme Pradon
(Marius)
Paris 1991
(Javert)
London 2002

Joly: Darryl Knock
(Marius)
London 1992

Lesgles: Mike Sterling
(Feuilly)
London 1991/2
(Marius)
(Valjean)
London 2002
(Combeferre)
Chelmsford Concert 1997

Montparnasse: Keith Burns
(Montparnasse)
London 1985-6
(Enjolras)
London 1992/3

Claquesous: Stephen Matthews
(Babet)
London 1993/4
London 1999 - 2000

Babet: Tony Timberlake
(Jean Prouvaire)
London 1990/1
(Thénardier)
London 2001
Bournemouth Concert 2002

Brujon: Nick Holder
(Brujon)
London 1988
(Thénardier)
London 1997/8

Loudhailer: Christopher Howard
(Enjolras)
London 1988/90
Stage By Stage: Les Misérables

Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:20 am

Thank you Moci, that was very interesting.
I always noticed that on the TAC there is a young girl (well, young woman) singing along with Turning. Is that the woman who had been understudying Gavroche?

Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:58 am
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I always noticed that on the TAC there is a young girl (well, young woman) singing along with Turning. Is that the woman who had been understudying Gavroche?

The standby for Gavroche was male- Ben Evans- he's one of the Gavroches at the end. He's in the West End production of LOTR now.. Lucy Evans was a standby for Cosette, who seemed to have played the role 1995/6-ish, so I'd presume that she was a current little Cosette at the time. This is her website, so you can see what she looks like now. I've no idea if she was in the ensemble, sorry.

Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:20 am

Fantine wrote:

The standby for Gavroche was male- Ben Evans- he's one of the Gavroches at the end. He's in the West End production of LOTR now.. Lucy Evans was a standby for Cosette, who seemed to have played the role 1995/6-ish, so I'd presume that she was a current little Cosette at the time. This is her website, so you can see what she looks like now. I've no idea if she was in the ensemble, sorry.

She wasn't that young, lol. I think that she must have been around 17 years old at the time (well, she looked that age to me). She is singing in 'Turning.' Still, I found that pretty young to be in such a concert.

Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:06 am
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Moci wrote:
Fantine wrote:

She wasn't that young, lol. I think that she must have been around 17 years old at the time (well, she looked that age to me). She is singing in 'Turning.' Still, I found that pretty young to be in such a concert.

There's no way that she was 17. I remember her on CBBC in Microsoap and she was about 12 or 13 then, in 1998.

Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:18 am
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Wow:D I'm not going to quote all you wrote to my answere, Moci, but thanks, that was brilliant!! When I get obsessed with something (mostly musicals) I always look for the details...So this suited me perfect! :wink:

((Like when I was going to tell my family the story of the show, (who saw Les Mis with me two weeks ago) they got really annoyed and told me to get to the point, I was constantly going into the details... :P but hey, they asked for it! :P))

- Sorry for the English, I am originally Swedish :wink:

Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:35 am

Fantine wrote:
Moci wrote:
Fantine wrote:

There's no way that she was 17. I remember her on CBBC in Microsoap and she was about 12 or 13 then, in 1998.

No what I mean is that is must be another person. Not the little Cosette.

Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:39 am
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Moci wrote:
Fantine wrote:
Moci wrote:
Fantine wrote:

No what I mean is that is must be another person. Not the little Cosette.

Ah, I get you. :D

Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:52 am
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Hey Moci, you forgot the choir/chorus! :mrgreen:

Liza Hayden didn't understudy Gavroche, she played the role regularly.
(At one time, 2 out of 3 London Gavroches were female. The line-up was LH, Zoe Hart and Ian Tucker.)

Jayne O’Mahony understudied Cosette (and went on at least once) when she returned to the show.

Tue Sep 25, 2007 3:30 pm
Reply to topic   [ 176 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next