The Resource For Musicals

Les Miserables Forum

Reply to topic  [ 827 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69  Next
The silliest things you've heard people say/ask about LM 
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Main Role: Fan
Post Re: The silliest things you've heard people say/ask about LM
Anyway...

I am getting more and more annoyed by the constant use of belting in modern musicals.
Come on... Do we really need that particular sound for every sentence ? most of the time, it sounds phony...

In the 25th anniversary concert, it end up to be quite ridiculous. Every ensemble member feels necessary to belt the hell of every note they sing in solo, just to prove that "they can belt".

I DON'T CARE !!! :evil:

I just want you to sing something beautiful. I don't care if it's head voice, chest voice or belt voice. Just make me cry.
This is supposed to be art, not a damn circus number ! ](*,)

Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:13 am
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Current Obsession: Les Miserables
Main Role: Performer
Someone commented on a YouTube video that Javert is a tenor part just famously played by baritones.

Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:19 pm
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Current Obsession: MUSIC in MUSICals
Vanessa20 wrote:
A minor one, just because it confuses me...

People claiming that Samantha's singing is weak in the OMO clip from the movie.

I don't get it! She's not sing-talking, she's not sacrificing vocal beauty for emotion, she's not departing in any radical way from the stage version... yet they call her singing weak?! Just because she's being understated in a section of the song that's soft to begin with?!

Sometimes I think these "UGH! WHERE'S THE BELTING?!?1" fans just want the whole movie to be screamed as loudly as possible.

Oh, and this Eppybopper gem...

Quote:
Love this. "On my Own" and Eponine are the only 2 factors of the story one can realistically relate to (except the being shot and still being able to sing part)

Really? I understand if you personally relate the most to her... but to imply that no other character or aspect of the story is realistic or relatable to anyone?! :?

Gargamel, I wholeheartedly agree with what you said about the belting trend so prominent today.

Vanessa, among entertainment fare, ONLY Les Mis and musical theatre-related things have the ability to stir real anger in me, and that Eppie-bopper quote you posted did it to say the least. Obviously, I'm angry at the Eppie-bopper and not you. Want to make that clear since, if you haven't made me angry by now, then you must be good people. And you're good people. :mrgreen:

Back to silly Eppie-bopper: It's upsetting that so many people cling onto the woe angle of the character and ignore the rest. I view the entire cast of characters as extremely valuable in some way. Eponine doesn't stir "woe is me" feelings of self-indulgence in me, never has and never will, and I've enjoyed her story as a part of that whole saga. Liking it on its own, is missing so much. And with so much to love, it just makes me wonder if some people even pay attention, lol.

But more than that, the part about being able to sing while having been riddled with bullets is one of those things that makes me red in the face. Because not only are they missing a HUGE part of the tale, they are not getting musical theatre. At all.

And that's why so much new stuff sucks so badly these days: they cater to people like that. Argh!

Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:10 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

This just in from IMDB.com.

Someone was ranting about the finale of the movie, about how the image of the giant barricade and guns clash with the lyrics describing hope for peace... a valid criticism, but then came this:

Quote:
Why glorify the rag-tag revolutionaries after mocking them in the rest of the film?

And don't blame "Turning" for this. The movie reduces it to a fragment. I just want to know what version of the movie this person saw and what other planet's version of the musical s/he's familiar with!

Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:48 pm

I wouldn't blame "Turning" for that even if the film included an expanded version of that song.

The finale is clear. So clear. Don't know how much clearer it can get.

And I have a problem with how they summarize the message as one of hope for peace.

I agree that peace as an objective is a large part of Hugo's message. But sometimes there has to be battles and barricades in order to force that peace into existence. Sometimes humanity can be so dark, that we must fight to see the light in the horizon.

The message of the musical and film, as well as Hugo's, is one of pure revolutionary spirit: fighting to end injustice and fighting for peace at all costs. Yes, one of those costs is giving up peace in the process.

But what do you do when there is no recourse? You fight for it, and hope for the best: that good will prevail.

Last edited by Quique on Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:37 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Here's one that seems to be cropping up a fair amount in comments about the movie:

The idea that the revolutionaries are poseurs only pretending to care about the poor/their cause - that it really is just a game to them.

Judging by the IMDB.com message board (which I don't think I'll visit anymore, it's become overrun with trolls!), this seems to be becoming almost as widespread as the "poor little naive schoolboys" fallacy. Apparently Éponine's new line about Marius "pretending to be poor" has given a lot of viewers some non-Hugoesque ideas. For goodness' sake, she's just ribbing him about coming from a rich family, not questioning his idealism!

Did they completely miss the part where Enjolras realizes they're doomed and gives everyone a chance to leave, but instead they break into a reprise of DYHTPS?

Last edited by Vanessa20 on Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:59 pm
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Main Role: Performer
I've heard some pretty horrible misunderstandings over the years...one of which may be my fault (the first time I ever saw LM, I didn't realise Fantine had died; I figured "gone to rest" meant she was actually sleeping).
In a book entitled "Music of the 20th century" (or some such title): "Les Miserables, which premiered in 1985, includes such celebrated songs such as 'When Tomorrow Comes'".
Right...
And in the Glee season 1 annual, in Lea Michele's background section: "...played little Cosette, a younger version of the woman who would grow up to marry the hero, Jean Valjean" :shock:

Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:10 pm

I saw this in the Youtube comments for the trailer:

"Another high school musical, halo 4 is the game you need to play will definitely give you the goosebumps best love story written..."

Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:40 am

I've been thinking about the rampant use of metaphors in the show being a possible key element in so many people's confusion regarding specific plot points.

I was of the opinion not too long ago that the use of metaphors is actually very clever in a show like Les Mis, which can very easily run into "emotional" excesses and melodrama. I felt it's a "safer" way to be emotional without hitting the audience over the head with it. People buy "poetic" more than they do the expected. Most people want the freedom to decide for themselves and that's a way to hint at something while also ensuring it taps into collective understanding.

Now, with all the film reactions and reviews and questions, I'm wondering if:

Enjolras asking, "where are the swells who run this show?" is redeemed only by what he says before that: "where are the leaders of the land?"

Fantine telling us how, "the tigers come at night. With their voices soft as thunder, as they tear your hope apart. As they turn your dreams to shame!" is something everyone can relate to, all the time, that has nothing to do with big, scary creatures found at the local zoo.

That Eponine dropped a bombshell during "On My Own" and Marius is actually blind, like, he CAN'T SEE!! Maybe there is really "a way for us!!!" Awwwwww.

I haven't decided yet if they are mostly a detriment or asset to the show. Of course, there are a lot more critical ones than the ones above but I'll focus on the fun ones for now, hehe.

The only possible positive thing that could come out of a determination that those metaphors and similes are to blame for mass confusion is finally an understanding as to how/why on earth there are still some people who just DON'T GET THE ENDING!

Thankfully, for my nerves, people seem to not have much of a problem getting the same finale on screen. Still, that would mean it's a problem of people not appreciating live theatre, and peoples' losing touch with theatrical conventions, which is sad. =(

Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:03 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Quique wrote:

The only possible positive thing that could come out of a determination that those metaphors and similes are to blame for mass confusion is finally an understanding as to how/why on earth there are still some people who just DON'T GET THE ENDING!

Thankfully, for my nerves, people seem to not have much of a problem getting the same finale on screen. Still, that would mean it's a problem of people not appreciating live theatre, and peoples' losing touch with theatrical conventions, which is sad. =(

Yeah, I keep on hearing from my non-LM friends that they don't get the ending. As usual, I'm usually the one who has to explain to them.

Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:38 pm

Oh man.

Hey, guys? Give me strength. Please?

To avoid responding to this over at Abaisse (an otherwise great forum with a great fan community):

"Dislikes on the 10th:

- Some parts of the score sounded too synthesized for my ears. I sat through it begging to the skies that one day, the Les Mis score will get a full orchestra treatment.

The 10th. As in 10th anniversary mega concert with HUGE mega orchestra in plain view.

I know, I know...BIG DEAL. But denial will get you nowhere. :P

Comments such as that are nearly impossible for me to ignore because they are just wrong. Wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong.

Full orchestra treatment someday? Oh, rly?

It's worse than I thought. People think gigantic symphony orchestras in plain view are really a sea of evil keyboards in disguise. Maybe they think the black, wicked dress of Cosette hides a 4th keyboard nobody knows about.

I will go take a walk now. :wave:

Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:16 am
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Not sure if this has been posted before, but it always bothers me when people say Les Miserables is about the French Revolution...

Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:22 pm
Reply to topic   [ 827 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69  Next