The Resource For Musicals

Les Miserables Forum

Reply to topic  [ 827 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67 ... 69  Next
The silliest things you've heard people say/ask about LM 
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Current Obsession: MUSIC in MUSICals
Main Role: Fan
Post Re: The silliest things you've heard people say/ask about LM
Vanessa20 wrote:
Um... didn't they notice that Judy Kuhn, Michael Maguire and Anthony Crivello have distinctly American accents too? :? :?

Because they are not Asian.

I know. Sad. But I'm willing to go out on a limb and bet on it. People using really lame excuses as to why she's no good or not as good is "a Lea as Eponine thing" for a reason. You never hear the same for performances that are lacking but are cast with white actors. You should have seen the volatile comments and general dismissiveness of Shanice as Eponine when I had a video of her up on YouTube. People weren't quite as indirect about it as with Lea on that one.

That's not to say anyone who doesn't think she's the best thing to ever don the ratty skirt and dirty face to be mindless bigots either. I love her but I have my own favorites and Lord knows there are gratuitous amounts of Lea worshippers who get a tad too passionate when trying to prove she's the best ever. But I become generally wary of the old "Lea sounds too posh" bullcrap excuse as to why she isn't all that. It's as bad as the claim she is the best ever because she sings the role *perfectly*.

I like Lea for her passionate portrayal and how she made the character brave and gutsy not just during the first few seconds we see her in "Look Down," something even my favorite Eponine of all time, Sutton Foster, is guilty of.

As for the ones who claim Lea's "American accent" makes her not good...are they "racist"? No. I think that's the most irritatingly overused/misused word in the world. Having a problem with someone's race in theatre only makes you narrow minded. "Racist" says you're narrow minded and hateful. I don't think most people making those comments are evil, hateful bigots. As much as I hate taking the time to make that distinction here, because I wish it were a given, I do because I'd rather come off as anal and picky than mindless and lazy.

And I was once accused of being a hateful person on here.

And there are lots of mindless and lazy people out there.

Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:10 pm

I'm going to pretend that I am intelligent and try to piece things out.

I mean, the show as we know it opened in London, right? So people are gonna be purists for the original. But the cockney accents had a purpose there - it's an accent that's associated with the lower or working classes, so for an audience in England, they're gonna hear the characters, with that accent, and they'll draw that sort of connection. Wouldn't it make more sense if, in America, they used a more 'working-class' accent that's appropriate to the region? I mean, is the average American gonna make the same connection with an accent that's pretty much foreign to them unless they've seen My Fair Lady?

I mean, I can get being a purist and not wanting to muck around with things, but stuff like that is just so arbitrary. I'd rather have good ol' American accents than an obviously fake British accent like it was with Nick Jonas. I mean, okay, you could say that average American accents are "too modern for a period drama," but so are things like synthesizers.

Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:47 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Just got one off of IMDB.com!

Someone writing about the bootlegged movie trailer complained that it shows Cosette kissing Marius in her wedding gown, because it leaves no suspense about whether she or Éponine will end up with Marius.

Granted, maybe you can argue that the musical sets Éponine as a viable romantic choice and does make you wonder which girl will get the boy. But still, Hugo would probably roll over in his grave...

Especially since the person goes on to say that he/she is afraid that the audience will disregard Éponine and consider her irrelevant because of the spoiler. As if the character has no interest and no moving effect beyond "Will she get the boy or not?"

Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:15 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

I saw something on IMDB.com too. Someone had posted a short snippet of Eddie Redmayne talking on the last day of shooting the barricade scenes. Then another user got mad because they didn't understand why Redmayne looked so bloody in the video.

Maybe becuase his character participates in a very bloody student uprising? And he gets shot?

Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:54 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Someone on the movie's Facebook page complaining that the Thénardiers look too young in the new poster:

Quote:
Um...you do realize that the Theenardiers are the parents of Eponine? Shouldn't they at least look older than the age Eponine is supposed to be, if not old enough to be her parents?

Really?? I understand thinking that Sacha and Helena look too young (I don't agree, but I understand it), but to imply that they look like teenagers?? :?

Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:09 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

And moreover...
During Master of the House, Eponine and Cosette are very Young. The Thenardiers can also be quite young, about the same age than Fantine...

Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:10 am
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Main Role: Performer
One of the silliest things was my friend attempting to sum up Les Mis in a paragraph:
"...Javert is in love with Valjean; he chases him across Paris and across time until he can capture him".
I don't want to know what version she's been watching.

Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:21 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Just a typical piece of Bopperdom from someone on Youtube commenting on the movie trailer:

Quote:
Ugh, I hate how they make Cosette seem like such a big part of the equation. In the book yes and Eponine was very minor but since this IS adaption of the musical Eponine is much (MUCH) more important then Cosette!

Now I can understand complaining about the underemphasis of Éponine... but complaining that they've made Cosette, the girl who ties the whole story together and whose face is the logo for the show, seem too important?

Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:58 am

Current Obsession: MUSIC in MUSICals
Ha! I agree. In fact, I've been stunned as of late with all the commentary about how they've made Cosette the highlight and have snubbed Eponine, both character and actress Samantha Barks, in favor of the supposed non-character Cosette.

It's like the funny mass hysteria about how sneaky Nunn and Caird inserted evil details so as to make Cosette disappear in the blackness of the stage's depths and make the benevolent 'Ponine shine and steal her thunder, much to the irritating joy of many a fangirl.

It's the exact same conspiracy comedy advanced by the butthurt Cosette defenders, only now advanced by the 'Ponine woe-is-me's!!!

Not that I'm complaining. This fandom is awesome. The only fandom where everyone has a different idea of what makes the ideal Les Mis, well, ideal!!

Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:07 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Someone on DeviantArt wrote this about the movie:

Quote:
Even if this film adaptation turns out to be spectacular, it will NOT be the cheery, uplifting Christmas movie that they're marketing it as.

Apparently, one poster and three shots in the trailer showing the Thénardiers in Christmasy costumes = mismarketing the picture as a cheery, uplifting Christmas movie.

I guess wherever he/she lives, cheery Christmas movies always include beggars, gunfire, haggard convicts, a little girl in rags wandering in terror through a dark forest, and an emaciated woman crying as her hair is chopped off and singing about how her life has become a living hell. Because I'm pretty sure that those images are more prominent in the advertising than the few Christmasy-looking Thénardier bits!

Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:33 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

If I'm not mistaken, the Thenardier's part in Montfermeil, bargain and so on takes place during Christmas.
The Christmas aspect is completely gone in the Stage Musical, but could be reintroduced in the movie.

That would explain the Christmas looking Thénardiers...

Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:24 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

A minor one, just because it confuses me...

People claiming that Samantha's singing is weak in the OMO clip from the movie.

I don't get it! She's not sing-talking, she's not sacrificing vocal beauty for emotion, she's not departing in any radical way from the stage version... yet they call her singing weak?! Just because she's being understated in a section of the song that's soft to begin with?!

Sometimes I think these "UGH! WHERE'S THE BELTING?!?1" fans just want the whole movie to be screamed as loudly as possible.

Oh, and this Eppybopper gem...

Quote:
Love this. "On my Own" and Eponine are the only 2 factors of the story one can realistically relate to (except the being shot and still being able to sing part)

Really? I understand if you personally relate the most to her... but to imply that no other character or aspect of the story is realistic or relatable to anyone?! :?

Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:48 pm
Reply to topic   [ 827 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67 ... 69  Next