The Resource For Musicals

Les Miserables Forum

Reply to topic  [ 827 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66 ... 69  Next
The silliest things you've heard people say/ask about LM 
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Main Role: Performer
Post Re: The silliest things you've heard people say/ask about LM
HELLO MUSICAL WORLD!!! :-"

Anyway, this is partially about Les Mis:
I was sitting today in one of my free periods, reading over some LM sheet music I recieved with my Music AS level sheet music collection, and chatting to someone about how it was amazing that in One Day More, the sheet music shows Enjolras as singing a G5 at one point...
Then, a random girl from my year came up to me and asked "if I could play all of that" (referring to sheet music)
Me: No, actually I'm only bi-instrumental (I may have just invented a word \:D/ )
Her: Oh, so what instruments do you play?
Me: Piano and voice
Her: What's voice?
Me: Er...singing...
Her: Oh, I get it

I find it hard to imagine that somebody of my age still can't associate voice and singing...

Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:29 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Main Role: Fan
Let The Dream Begin wrote:
I find it hard to imagine that somebody of my age still can't associate voice and singing...

Maybe she expected you to tell her what voice you had : Tenor, Barytone, Bass...
(Hum... Maybe you're a girl...)

Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:21 am
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Yes, I am a girl :lol:
And I think she's just ignorant...

Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:20 am
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Current Obsession: Obsessed with Sondheim. Always Sondheim.
Elin wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qeLkEUgP8e4&feature=youtu.be

Didn't like reading that book in high school. Long, repetitive, unnecessary sub plots, and depressing. The story should've ended when Val Jean got rich.

FutureTillionaire 25 minutes ago

HAHAHA oh good God.

Previously: Mary Phagan in Parade, Puck in A Midsummer Night's Dream, Little Red in Into the Woods, Annie in Annie

Hopefully: Fantine in Les Mis, Rose in Gypsy, Olive in Spelling Bee..

Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:21 pm
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

I was reading the comments of the Cosette poster on the film's Facebook page, when I stumbled upon this comment:

"Why is her hair brown? Cosette has BLONDE hair. BLONDE! Like Fantine's. ' Did these idiots even read the book??
No. Hollywood never does."

First, Amanda Seyfried is blonde in the movie. Second, did this "idiot" even read the book??

Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:51 pm
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Current Obsession: MUSIC in MUSICals
I kinda wish they made Cosette's hair jet black just to piss off the "if it ain't like the novel, it's WRONG" crowd.

Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:24 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

On Youtube, in the comments for the movie's Extended First Look:

Quote:
they have realy wierd (-old) clothes

Quote:
Ann hathaway looks like a little boy with that weird hair cut

And the oldie but goodie...

Quote:
should be in french

Last edited by Vanessa20 on Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:44 pm

I just finished watching the entire 10th anniversary concert on YouTube after not having seen it for quite some time and, much to my surprise, found it to be incredibly fresh. I had been reluctant to sit through it again ever since burning myself out on it ages ago. That led to watching other Les Mis clips on YouTube after it was over, and I encountered a staggering number of these "Valjean MUST have that Colm-like huskiness and accent or it is NOT Jean Valjean!" And people call me "close-minded"? I mean, really. The vast majority of both fans and general public alike have these really lame requirements that they impose onto the musical or it's ruined...forever. Considering the lack of passionate arguments on the internet or anywhere on those ridiculously irrational, set ways, it seems none of them really mean it or they never really cared for this musical like they say they do and its just another tantrum in just another fad.

I responded to a ludicrous comment on a Broadway, 2002 full performance on YouTube the other night and it was very hard to not become nasty. I must have rewritten it 3 times because I started out very pissed off. I managed to bring it down to civil. Yes, it makes me pissed because the logic used is nothing short of moronic. It concerned, once again, the tired MUST HAVE requirement imposed by ignorants everywhere of a Cockney/British accent or...you guessed it....it DOESN'T WORK.

According to this genius, only two "miracle workers" MADE the lack of a strong accent work and that was Ramin and Norm Lewis. Imagine that, out of all the Americans who have played the role, this genius declares a British guy and one American as having miraculously made the roles work sans stereotypical accents. It's all too clear what this type of genius really wants...imitation. And theatre is more than imitating what came first. Sadly, it's what a lot of people expect out of Les Mis.

Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:02 pm

Why would people think that the show needs Cockney accents? Or British accents at all? The story is in France.

Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:07 pm

^ That's what I said to one of those geniuses. And he/she/it came back to me with something to the effect of, "well if it's good enough for the Australians, South Africans...blah, blah, blah, then it's the least Americans can do" or some crap like that. OMG, kill me now.

Here's that thread: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qi_yL8_Y ... ure=relmfu

I've recently changed my YouTube username from "LaMisereHQ" to my real name Enrique Sanchez.

I had no idea that doing that would delete every comment I made under "La MisereHQ." I wasn't warned or anything. That really blows. Ah well. Guess I'll have to go and make up for ALL THE ORCH RANTS LOST. XD

Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:09 pm

Vanessa20 wrote:
On Youtube, in the comments for the movie's Extended First Look:

Quote:
they have realy wierd (-old) clothes

Quote:
Ann hathaway looks like a little boy with that weird hair cut

And the oldie but goodie...

Quote:
should be in french

Those made me chuckle. XD

I sort of hate getting testy over that sort of commentary because it gives the impression I think of EVERYONE who is of the same opinion, or even similar opinion concerning other shows or characters, to be moronic and I don't. I don't consider even those people moronic. Just careless and lazy.

I know many people on here have expressed a hope of the film being closer to the novel and I've never blasted anyone here for that because they don't demand it like it's some absolute requirement. I'm THRILLED that they are adding bits of detail and larger points from the novel into the film. I wouldn't want it any other way, but when people declare the film ruined or are volatile over Cosette's hair being slightly off-blonde, I mean, come now. Cosette's hair color means squat in the bigger picture and no particular color ever became iconic to the role on stage. I understand getting happy at the news that her hair is like in the book, but to call the production staff all sorts of insults and go on about how it will suck for not being a carbon copy of the novel, then, yep. Lame. LOL.

Last edited by Quique on Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:27 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Pannic wrote:
Why would people think that the show needs Cockney accents? Or British accents at all? The story is in France.

Some people insist that American accents sound too modern for a period drama. As if the US didn't exist or didn't have a separate accent from England in the 19th century... :?

For that matter, why on earth do some reviews of the TAC on Amazon gripe about Lea's American accent, saying that everyone else sounds British and she sticks out like a sore thumb?

Um... didn't they notice that Judy Kuhn, Michael Maguire and Anthony Crivello have distinctly American accents too? :? :?

Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:34 pm
Reply to topic   [ 827 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66 ... 69  Next