Les Miserables Forum

Reply to topic  [ 827 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 65, 66, 67, 68, 69
The silliest things you've heard people say/ask about LM 
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Current Obsession: MUSIC in MUSICals
Main Role: Fan
Post Re: The silliest things you've heard people say/ask about LM
An often repeated one that used to leave me scratching my head, but now just makes me laugh. I paraphrase:

"All the characters are just so earnest." (said in a negative, mocking fashion)

I used to wonder why that was such a bad thing.

I mean, what would they say if the characters weren't earnest, if they weren't portrayed in a serious manner, if they came across as lacking conviction and being sarcastic, or not really embodying what they supposedly believe in?

You'd have the Thenardiers! XD

Nothing wrong with that. I enjoy them, as evil and scummy as they are.

But you'd have to have the flip side of that for them to even register as they do in the show, to have that effect on the piece. So I don't get why people wish to remove the earnest, sincere, humane portion of humanity in the show that make those awful Thenardiers so, well, awful in comparison.

I'm sort of playing dumb, of course, because I have my own theory: they get threatened by stuff that moves them as deeply as Les Mis can because they worry it's manipulating them into being moved so they reject it and view it as a flaw. I feel the same about people who claim Les Mis is all about being swept away by the emotion and crying and all that mushy stuff.

Les Mis has always achieved a nice balance with me, meaning, it has made me feel as much as it has made me think. The key is, it doesn't ever instruct me on HOW to feel and WHAT to think. It merely leads me down a path where I am free to discover it for myself. I think most people who accuse it of being manipulative don't trust themselves enough to realize they stumbled upon whatever moved them on their own and so they cite some strategically and manipulative inside ploy that hypnotizes the masses. Probably the same folks who troll the net with Boston Marathon and 9/11 conspiracy theories, roflmao.

And I sometimes think I make things too complicated, ha! I will never understand some people. XD

Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:31 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

For the second or third time in as many years, I've encountered a person who insists that he or she saw Michael Crawford as Valjean.

The last time around, I figured she just meant they liked "Bring Him Home" on one of his albums. But....nooooooooo...she swore she actually saw him in the role on Broadway.

Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:58 pm
Profile WWW

That reminds me, some lady on YouTube recently claimed to have seen Anthony Warlow, Debbie Bryne, and Philip Quast on Broadway in 1990. She said it was a night she'll never forget.

Hehehe.

Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:59 pm

I just remembered another one:

I have, somewhere buried under tons of reviews, a review of the 3rd national tour from I forgot which city and year, but the critic complains about the actress who played Fantine. She said something to the effect of, and I paraphrase from memory:

_________ as Fantine sings half of her big number with her back towards the audience.

Then the critic goes on to rant about how unprofessional that is. I rolled my eyes so heavily upon reading that, my eyes went to the back of my skull, or course. :roll: :roll:

Talk about massive exaggeration. Fantine is supposed to have her back to the audience during the opening bars of "I Dreamed a Dream," during which she--for effect--carefully removes her work apron and bonnet, revealing a beautiful young lady underneath. It's always such a dramatic sight, when she sings "There was a time, then it all went...wrong," at which point she turns around. In that little gesture and that simple staging/blocking of that short intro we get pages and pages worth of Hugo's descriptions of Fantine in a nutshell. We get it that her hair is very special to her and it's unlike most womens' hair; it's stunning. It makes her selling of it later on all the more dramatic.

Here's Joan Almedilla performing that short into with her back facing the audience and the big number that follows in the 3rd U.S. national tour back in 2000: http://youtu.be/KXmmBy0ERQ8?t=5m24s

On another note, that critic is only one of literally close to none compared to the sheer number of raves I've collected over the years of the original production. Meanwhile, I've built a very nice collection of unimpressed to downright pans of the new 25th anniversary tour. I hope a lot more of those bad reviews from major newspapers continue to come out between now and the point when they begin the process for bringing the show back to Broadway, because I think that's the only way we will be spared the completely unimpressive, over-the-top, pretentious 25th ann. production from infecting Broadway. Not that I think we will ever see the original production again. That'd be a miracle that would seriously give me a massive heart attack from the sheer, intense joy I'm sure to feel, but it could make them seriously rethink the whole thing and hopefully revise most of it to be something that I could actually like and people don't have to just settle with.

It's depressing that I can't feel excited for its return to the Imperial. Yes, I've actually tried. Really hard. I just can't, even if I really want to. Tough cookies, as they say. *shrug*

Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:54 am

I'm not one to get too worked up over the recent wave of Les Mis novices and the things they say thanks to the film version. But I must admit it does reach a point now and then where I just have to rant...or I'll go nuts, lol.

Annoyance #1:

Since when did Alfie Boe, Samantha Barks, and the rest of the 25th anniversary concert cast become the absolute best cast there has ever been? The number of YouTubers and other internet Les Mis novices who swear by this is staggering, yet, it just isn't true. OK, OK, so I admit it is subjective, which is why I haven't said much about it until now, but most don't just offer it as an opinion but as a fact. It's the like the 10th anniversary concert and the screams of "OMG, DREAM CAST" all over again. Yeesh. I want to scream every time I run across a comment stating that Boe and Barks MUST be in the upcoming Broadway revival, or else....! :roll: :lol:

Annoyance #2:

This one is really petty but, oh, does it irritate me so!!!! :twisted:

When a comment like this is posted on a video of a track from one of the many cast recordings made before the film that has a listing included:

"You've got the order of the songs wrong."

"Where is 'Suddenly'?"

"Is this Jackman?"

"I love Hugh!!"

"The film was really good and this soundtrack of it is amazing!"

Oh lordy, lordy, lordy. *BIG SIGH* Of course, it isn't Jackman singing and the rest is obvious.

One little comment though on a Complete Symphonic Recording track on YouTube made me all warm and fuzzy inside. I can't locate it now but it went something like this:

"Wow. The orchestra on the soundtrack sounds a LOT better than in the actual film."

Totally clueless. But those are the comments I enjoy the most. In a good way, because I've found the people to trust the least are those in the know; the sheer number of those who know the show and have sold out or fall for the false claims that are so incredibly obviously lies and just untrue is pretty sad. I've found the least someone is in the know the more honest they are. Where a stuck up fan will easily go with the "lame 80s" snobbery that Cammack encourages via his marketing ploys, a novice will only offer a real opinion not influenced by a need to be hip or cool or "in" or to impose onto the show false ideas of reinvention or evolution where nothing but downgrades, thinning-out, and cheapening exists. It's something I've come to expect out of people in the know; going along with one of the many strategic marketing ploys. At best, fans who go along with them do it out of a sincere trust in what is being claimed to be true and they don't question it.

And, no, not referring to anyone here. But if the shoe fits, then I guess it will be worn. However, I don't think anyone here has a foot that big. I'd have told you a long time ago if it was, then stuck it in your mouth. :lol:

Oh, and one more thing that I must get off my chest. It actually made me so angry, I had to go out for a breath of fresh air...I was reading reviews of the shitty new tour and came across one of those articles that are written before the show opens as a sort of publicity piece that mostly serves to send hype out and encourage interest, which is nothing bad and is very common.

But I came across one that detailed some of the *clears throat* improvements in the new tour and went just about nuts when it was clearly stated in the article that the revolve was nothing but a gimmick. They even said something to the effect of "one of the most appreciated changes to the show is removal of the famous revolve."

Appreciated? Wait a minute...say that again...APPRECIATED??? I can't tell you how hard I'm pounding my keyboard right now. That is one of the most INFURIATING things I've read. So matter of factly. So nonchalantly stated...yeah, it is just one of those things we all appreciate. Yeah, of course.

Those of you who don't keep up with the crap they've been writing about the original production that is directly encouraged and stated by people involved in the new tour and have even a bit of respect and admiration for the original creative team and production, don't start keeping up now, I warn you. The stuff they say to sell the show are outrageously wrong and just so sad. I'm sure a good chunk of my bitterness would have dissipated by now had they not been feeding it consistently ever since that mediocre tour opened in New Jersey. Ah, tough cookies, eh?

Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:53 am
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Main Role: Performer
All said by my nine year-old brother, upon watching the recent movie version last night

"Wait, isn't she dead?"
"Is he a ghost?"
"Didn't all those people just die?"
"Why do they keep singing?"
"Do they even talk normally in this show?"
"Wait, why did he just die?"
"That's the guy who was in jail?"
"Why are the ladies so lovely?"
"Wait... They were in love?"
"He's her dad?"
"That's the guy from the beginning?"
"Why did he kill himself?"

And, at the very end
"I'm gonna play Gavroche."
Proceeds to sing "Good evening dear inspector, lovely evening my dear." For the rest of the evening
:D

Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:45 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Current Obsession: EPONINE!!!
Post Re:
Superstar83 wrote:
GayBoy wrote:

I don't even think LM really sounds or feels ALW like anyway...the only ALW show it's really similar too is Woman In White and LM is miles ahead in the quality department there.

I like Woman in White. I think the story is heartbreaking and Percival Glyde is evil and I love the book. But I do love Les Mis waaaay more.

Fri May 15, 2015 12:50 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Current Obsession: Les Mis, My Fair Lady
Post Re:
broadwaybaby246 wrote:
My friend and i have our high school's version on DVD, and sometimes we will watch it. Well, her little cousin was over and she heard us talking about "Les Mis". She thought that we were saying Lame is. Half way into it she says "So which one is lame?"
i found that hilarious

jokes. thats brilliant :lol:

Sun May 24, 2015 12:09 pm
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Current Obsession: Hedwig And The Angry Inch
emmablaw wrote:
All said by my nine year-old brother, upon watching the recent movie version last night

"Wait, isn't she dead?"
"Is he a ghost?"
"Didn't all those people just die?"
"Why do they keep singing?"
"Do they even talk normally in this show?"
"Wait, why did he just die?"
"That's the guy who was in jail?"
"Why are the ladies so lovely?"
"Wait... They were in love?"
"He's her dad?"
"That's the guy from the beginning?"
"Why did he kill himself?"

And, at the very end
"I'm gonna play Gavroche."
Proceeds to sing "Good evening dear inspector, lovely evening my dear." For the rest of the evening
:D

Lol, that's what happens when little kids watch Les Mis. How hilarious! Funniest for me is 'Why did he kill himself?' That would be a weird thing to talk about with a nine-year-old. :oops:

Perfection! :)

Sun Jul 05, 2015 2:54 am
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Current Obsession: Jekyll & Hyde, Next to Normal, Les Mis
I was watching a high school's version of Les Mis on youtube, and one of the comments was "Wow, this Eninope was really good." Then someone comments "You've got it wrong, her name is Eponine." Then, a third person joins in and says "Actually, you've all got it wrong. Her name is Eponnie it just sounds like Eponine sometimes when people say it really fast." And these people were seriously arguing about whether her name is Eninope or Eponnie.

Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:43 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Current Obsession: Jekyll & Hyde, Next to Normal, Les Mis
I grew up listening to the Les Mis soundtrack in my car because my whole family loves it. So once, I must have been about 7 or 8, I was listening to it with my mom and Lovely Ladies came on.

I asked her, "Mommy, what are they singing about here? What's happening?" And my mom, avoiding the topic of prostitution with her 7 year old daughter, was just like "Um, well, the ladies are at work honey! They're working so they can make money!" And I remember just picturing in my mind a bunch of women in an office building singing Lovely Ladies.

Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:47 pm
Reply to topic   [ 827 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 65, 66, 67, 68, 69