The King and I Forum

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
Roles question 
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Main Role: Performer
Post Roles question
I feel like I'm caught in limbo.
A community theatre with which I'm really trying to get my foot in the door is putting on The King and I this fall. I'm considering auditioning, but is there a role for me? At 14 and 5'5", I feel like I would be too old for the children, and too young for any of the wives, and probably Tuptim as well. I will be 15 by the time of the production, and people say I look at least 16, but Tuptim really is a soprano role and I'm a strong mezzo, so...Should I even bother?

Sun May 09, 2010 5:03 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I have seen this exact situation happen before the girls in question were cast as Amazons and ballet singers. I think possibly as a very old daughter or a particularly young wife. Besides, being an age is one thing, but how you look is quite another (if you, for example, well-endowed in the chest, you couldn't past for a child, but a wife is not out of the question).

Wed May 12, 2010 1:36 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Main Role: Performer
Haha, my chest is quite small so that shouldn't be a problem, my face just looks a little more mature. So it's worth a shot, yes?

Wed May 12, 2010 3:39 pm
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

I have seen this exact situation happen before the girls in question were cast as Amazons and ballet singers. I think possibly as a very old daughter or a particularly young wife. Besides, being an age is one thing, but how you look is quite another (if you, for example, well-endowed in the chest, you couldn't past for a child, but a wife is not out of the question).

I don't so much. I have seen a production where the eldest daughters looked older then the youngest wives. If you think about it The king has been marrying wives all his adult life, so it is logical that the daughters of the eldest wives could be older than the youngest wives.

Sun May 16, 2010 12:22 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]