The Resource For Musicals

The King and I Forum

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
Advice? 
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post Advice?
Hey...Just joined the forums. I found it while I was looking for a script to the King and I. My high school has decided to do the King and I this year. Im having a little trouble deciding what to audition for, because my vocal range isnt exactly alto, but Im not a complete soprano. It lies somewhere inbetween those to. Someone said that Tuptim's range can be altered to make it slightly lower. Let me know if this is true. And if theres anything else you can tell me, like where I can read a free script on the internet, or listen to some of the music, PM me. I really would like to know about any other female roles that dont require an entirely soprano vocal range as well. Id also appreciate it if anyone could give me some advice for auditioning for a part in this musical.

Thanks so much! Ill check back often.
Meghan

Wed Nov 23, 2005 2:04 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

it seems to me that you could go with either anna or lady thiang, because neither of them have to sing as high as tuptim. Anna (being the lead) would obviously be a fun part, im not sure exactly of her highest note, but i believe it is not that high, so you wouldnt have to really stretch too much. as for lady thiang, im sort of biased because i played that part a year ago, and i absolutly loved it, so i will always say go for her. she doesnt have to go very high either, i think her highest note is a G, and if im not mistaken, thats higher than Anna's highest note.

sorry, i know i didnt really give you any definite answers, but if i were you, i would look into those to parts.

hope i helped :D

Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:47 am
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Thanks! I havent seen it in a while...What exactly is Lady Thiang's part? Like, what all does she do?

Wed Dec 07, 2005 7:20 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Lady Thiang is described as "head wife" and is very fun. she sort of takes anna under her wing because the king can be a bit overwhelming. she has two solo songs, Something Wonderful and Western People Funny (which is a call and response type of song with the other wives). its a great part, good amount of lines. personality: somewhat wise, an advisor type to her fellow wives and the tuptim, helps anna with the children and affairs with the king, loves the king very much.

also, you can have some fun with the accent :D

good luck!

Mon Dec 12, 2005 6:31 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

It sounds like a lot of fun. My only problem would be the singing. I dont like my voice personally, but other people tell me im great. Its awkward, lol. About how high do her songs go? I havent heard them in a long time....

Wed Dec 14, 2005 4:14 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Ok, so I audtioned yesterday.....Everyone wish me luck! Results are posted tomorrow.

Tue Dec 20, 2005 7:11 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

good luck! tell us how it goes, I'm now quite curious

Wed Dec 21, 2005 8:23 am
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Lady Rowena - 1st Lady in waiting (OUAM)
June Stanley (The man who came to dinner)
Chorus (Grease)
---- Current Parts ----
1.) Joice Heth (Barnum)

Tue Mar 07, 2006 10:45 pm
Profile WWW
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Lady Thiang doesn't have to go high at all. We did that as our school musical last year. Out of the people who played Lady Thiang (double casted) one had an alto voice and one had an alto- soprano and they were just right for the part.

Wed Jul 19, 2006 3:54 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]