The Resource For Musicals

The King and I Forum

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
Advice for the King and I 
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post Advice for the King and I
So...our school is putting on the King and I next year and I think I stand a chance of getting the part of Anna. However it will be my last school show and so i really want to prepare for the audition a lot in order to stand a better chance of getting the part.
Anyone got any tips for auditions/the roles of Anna and/or Lady Thiang.

Thanks guys
:D clarexxxxxxxx

Mon Jun 20, 2005 12:51 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I can't really say much, except that you might want to practice your accents. Every version of tKaI that I've ever seen has had heavily accented characters.

Thu Jul 07, 2005 1:20 am
Profile WWW
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

Well, make sure you have a really good audition song. If I were you, I would think about the parts you are interested in and think of what song reflects both characters. Hmm... I think maybe a good audition song would be one of Rodgers and Hammerstein songs, or even Lerner and Lowes. I thought maybe "Before I Gaze At You Again", from Camelot. I had a sudden thought of a song you might think is a little odd, but maybe..... "When I Look At You", from The Scarlet Pimpernel. For some reason I think it would be a good audition song for Anna.
Hope I helped!
Singer

Fri Oct 21, 2005 9:31 am
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

I think those are both really good suggestions.

To focus on Thiang, I'd sing something like 'Somewhere' from West Side Story - similar range and sentiment really.

If you wanted to pick another Rodgers and Hammerstein song, possibly one of Nellie's from South Pacific - quite similar to Anna in a lot of ways.

They're both really great parts. I'm auditioning in a couple of weeks but it's a lot easier for me as we'll have set songs from the show. I wonder what the Director will pick for Anna.

Mon Oct 24, 2005 1:24 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

lady thiang is so much fun! I played her in a school production last year. I wanted Anna, but was very pleasently suprised by just how much fun i had with Thiang. Definetly work on an accent if you are planning on wanted to play her. For Anna, well, you still should work on an accent (unless your school isn't planning on using one for anna). Also, pick a monologue that fits the characters. I was planning on auditioning for Anna and did The Ring Speech from Shakespears Twelfth Night. But then again, I ended up getting a different part. Either way it has the same message of "i love my master but there are so many problems" and is a possibility.

I hope I helped more than I hurt :wink:

Sun Nov 06, 2005 7:12 pm
im practicing for a version of king and I and in rehersals were are we are always being told that we need to speek with a cliped accent.

i hope u get the part u want :wink:[/code]

Sat Aug 26, 2006 9:51 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]