The Resource For Musicals

The King and I Forum

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
I can only buy one recording. Which recording should I buy? 

Which is your preferred cast recording of "The King & I" ???
The one with Yul Brynner & Gertrude Lawrence 40%  40%  [ 8 ]
The one with Yul Brynner & Marni Nixon 20%  20%  [ 4 ]
The one with Yul Brynner & Constance Towers 20%  20%  [ 4 ]
The one with Lou Diamond Phillips & Donna Murphy 10%  10%  [ 2 ]
The one with Christopher Lee & Valerie Masterson 10%  10%  [ 2 ]
The one with Martin Vidnovic & Christiane Noll 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
The one with Barbara Cook & Theodore Bikel 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 20

I can only buy one recording. Which recording should I buy? 
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

If you want a complete recording of the score. Then the christopher lee 2cd version is the only one that has everything included as at the time of the original production.

Thu Sep 22, 2005 8:45 am
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Main Role: Performer
Lee's is complete except for the ballet..and I dont belive it has the children's Puzzlement reprise.

the Brynner/Towers version has the reprise along with the King's "So Big A World' speech.

Tue Jan 03, 2006 7:24 am
Profile WWW
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

Lee's is complete except for the ballet..and I dont belive it has the children's Puzzlement reprise.

the Brynner/Towers version has the reprise along with the King's "So Big A World' speech.

The only ballet in king and I is "small house of uncle thomas" and this is definitly on the lee recording. (must be 2 disc version and not 1 disc highlights recording). Plus I have just checked the track listing of my copy and track 14 of disc 1 is the reprise of "Puzzlement"

Fri Jan 20, 2006 7:06 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I like Gertrude, so of course I was biased in my voting. But at any rate, look for the most complete recording available. I know the Uncle Tom's Cabin scene can be hard to find.

Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:48 pm
Profile WWW
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

What I noticed in the OBC (1951) CD was that no one knew that they were perfoming a classic, so they didn't "relish" it, they just "performed" it. That's the trouble I have with most revivals, They're over-produced and over sung. Also Gertrude Lawrence was an actress first and a singer second and you can tell.

Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:55 pm
Profile WWW
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

I made a special mix cd using the 77 revival and Uncle Tom's Cabin from the original cast recording of "Jerome Robbin's Broadway". That way I have all the major tunes.

Wed Jun 07, 2006 7:45 am

What I noticed in the OBC (1951) CD was that no one knew that they were perfoming a classic, so they didn't "relish" it, they just "performed" it. That's the trouble I have with most revivals, They're over-produced and over sung. Also Gertrude Lawrence was an actress first and a singer second and you can tell.

but no one performed Anna with the passion that Gertie did.

youy do realize that she was having vocal problems duringt he recording session due to her cancer right?

Thu Jun 15, 2006 7:12 am
Profile WWW
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Post 2000 London revival
Have any one of you thought about recommending the 2000 London revival recording with Elaine Paige as Anna and Jason Scott Lee as the King? It's a beautiful, sumptuous recording, marvellously sung. An added bonus is that it includes the Uncle Tom's Cabin that the Decca and RCA Brynner recordings lack.

Thu Jun 28, 2007 5:40 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

I made a special mix cd using the 77 revival and Uncle Tom's Cabin from the original cast recording of "Jerome Robbin's Broadway". That way I have all the major tunes.[/quote]

That was wonderful of you, knowing that the Jerome Robbins version of "Small House" could fit very well into the Brynner/Towers disc. I've tried that myself and I feel just as pleased with the results as you do.

Thu Jun 28, 2007 5:44 pm

Post Re: 2000 London revival
Yip1982 wrote:
Have any one of you thought about recommending the 2000 London revival recording with Elaine Paige as Anna and Jason Scott Lee as the King? It's a beautiful, sumptuous recording, marvellously sung. An added bonus is that it includes the Uncle Tom's Cabin that the Decca and RCA Brynner recordings lack.

Avoid anything with Elaine Paige. that woman could cause a brain hemmorage.

Fri Jun 29, 2007 6:34 am
Profile WWW
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

I've got 3 recordings of this show and my favorite is definitely the Julie Andrews & Ben Kingsley studio recording! Best orchestrations and really good performances.

This recording includes the best version of "Something Wonderful" ever made - Marilyn Horne sings it beautifully and the arrangement is just so damn gorgeous, just like the song, which I think is the most beautiful musical melody ever written.

Donna Murphy & Lou Diamond Phillips (Broadway revival) is more complete than Andrews/Kingsley and Murphy's performance is even better than Andrews's, but somehow I just get the feeling that something is missing from this one... "Something Wonderful" is very bland, too fast tempo.

Elaine Paige recording (London revival) is also very good, but Paige's performance is not that great. Though she sings extremely well, her singing is a bit colourless and stale - I saw her on stage in this role and that came across even more clearly in the theatre, her Anna was a bit 'cold' and distant, not really a mother type at all. But the recording is otherwise ok.

So I'd go with the Andrews/Kingsley version or Murphy/Phillips recording.

Sat Oct 27, 2007 3:10 am
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2