The Resource For Musicals

Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat Forum

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
The way that Joseph is played 
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Post The way that Joseph is played
Is it OK and acceptable for the part of Joseph to be played straight without any flourishes? I've felt there seems to be a trend towards a pop idol portrayal of the part, and I was wondering if the part can work convincingly if it were done "pure" without any additives.

Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:41 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

What exactly do you mean by "flourishes" and "additives"? Would you mind elaborating a little more?

Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:01 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

I wouldn't want there to be too many pop vocal stylings in the part. I know it has almost always been a part for a pop-based singer, but would a portrayal of Joseph work if it is sung straight?

Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:45 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Sure I think it would work sung straight. Those pop vocal stylings that a lot of guys do are fine, but as long as a Joseph has a good voice, likeable stage presence and (hopefully) decent acting skills, he need not do them.

Have you ever heard the Original Broadway Cast CD? Bill Hutton is far removed from a "pop idol." His voice is a more of old-fashioned Dennis Day-type tenor. But I've always loved him anyway - I've even gone through periods of liking him as well as I like Donny Osmond, though of course the orchestrations and entire feel of those two recordings are completely different.

Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:59 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]