The Resource For Musicals

Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat Forum

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
do you get disturbed that this isn't entirely biblical? 
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Post do you get disturbed that this isn't entirely biblical?
i mean...

1.) pothiphar didn't walk into his wife and joseph in a compromising position.....actually according to the bible, the wife tore off his technicolor dreamcoat and showed it to potihphar.

2.) joseph made benjamin stay according to the bible while the other brothers went back to issac............

i guess they had to tweek this for time restraints?

what do you think

Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:19 pm
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Current Obsession: punctuation
Main Role: Fan
It doesn't matter to me. I grew up agnostic and actually learned most of my Bible stories through musicals and art history class.

The Very Angry Man has retired from musicals.net.

Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:26 pm
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Post Re: do you get disturbed that this isn't entirely biblical?
Mostly it doesn't bother me. Most of the changes are probably just for time restraints, after all. It captures the basic story (i.e. what most of us remember learning as kids in Sunday school) perfectly well. Nor do I mind the fact that it doesn't mention God much. The musical isn't so much about religion as it is about telling a good story, that happens to be from the Bible, in a fun way.

satch wrote:
pothiphar didn't walk into his wife and joseph in a compromising position.....actually according to the bible, the wife tore off his technicolor dreamcoat and showed it to potihphar.

This is one change that I do sometimes feel a little iffy about. So many productions of the musical make it ambiguous whether Joseph gives in or not, which is totally against the Bible and takes away from his integrity. Fortunately, I've seen the show enough times that I know it can be staged in ways that keep his innocence clear while still being hilarious.

Quote:
2.) joseph made benjamin stay according to the bible while the other brothers went back to issac............

Not to be a pain, but this summary is kind of mixed up. The brothers initially come to Egypt without Benjamin, and Joseph makes them go back and get him as "proof" that they're not spies, keeping Simeon behind in Egypt in the meantime. And their father is Jacob, not Isaac.

One other element of the Bible story that I kind of wish were in the musical is the fact that Benjamin is Joseph's only full brother and therefore Jacob's second favorite. It just makes it clearer why Joseph uses him to test the other brothers and why their defending him is so meaningful. I also kind of miss the Bible Joseph's tendency to cry: he weeps about six times in the Bible. Yes, that's a little much by modern Western standards, but I find it endearing. I'm a sucker for male sensitivity. :lol:

Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:38 pm

Post Re: do you get disturbed that this isn't entirely biblical?
Vanessa20 wrote:
This is one change that I do sometimes feel a little iffy about. So many productions of the musical make it ambiguous whether Joseph gives in or not, which is totally against the Bible and takes away from his integrity. Fortunately, I've seen the show enough times that I know it can be staged in ways that keep his innocence clear while still being hilarious.

My preferred way of staging it is to have Potiphar hear something upstairs and walk in just as Mrs. Potiphar tears off Joseph's garment. She then has a deer in the headlights moment before she turns on the melodrama and runs sobbing to Potiphar, brandishing the garment and pointing at Joseph accusingly. It makes it a little closer to the actual event. That doesn't happen very often though... it's such a temptation to take the opportunity for a steamy scene for entertainment value.

Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:26 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

It doesn't really bother me because I think that the musical doesn't really mean it to be told strictly as a bible story. I think it was changed to make it more about following your dreams. While I would have perfered to have it left being about god, it still has a great point and moral, so it doesn't bother me much.

Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:31 pm

Main Role: Performer
I seriously oubt the joseph story in the bible was real so it doesnt matter its drama based on fiction.

i getm ore pissed off when everyone changes the arthurian legends to fit their current film or tv show.

Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:12 am
Profile WWW
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

The little details regarding Benjamin don't really bother me as much except that probably THE main point of the story- that Joseph relied on God at all times, is left out. Sure, he was his father's favorite son, but without the fact that Joseph trusted his heavenly Father, and completely kept his standards high, are what led to his great rewards. Without this, Joseph really comes off as a stuck-up prat who get's lucky, when that wasn't the case at all.

Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:28 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Yes, that's another one I kind of agree with. The Bible always credits God with Joseph's success, as does Joseph himself, while the musical attributes it to his own talent and "a lucky break." I mostly don't mind that, it works with the "believe in your dreams" slant, but it does kind of make Joseph feel more Gary Stu-like than he is in the Bible. Maybe.

Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:45 pm

Main Role: Other...
I don't really notice it ... maybe I should read the Old Testament better....

Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:37 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]