More than one Narrator 

How Many Narrators?
One 47%  47%  [ 26 ]
Two 16%  16%  [ 9 ]
Three 22%  22%  [ 12 ]
More than three 15%  15%  [ 8 ]
Total votes : 55

More than one Narrator 

Plus it teaches girls, that in theatre "If Everyone does well in audition-Everyone deserves a lead" and when they hit the real world...they are going to be in for a rude awakening.

I disagree. When I did the show in a high school, there were five senior ladies who had been through the whole process together for their entire high school careers and were all great performers. Two ended up splitting the one lead role, one got to be Mrs. Potiphar, and the other two had to spend the show dressed as men, playing brothers. It definitely didn't teach them that everyone gets a lead.

It's difficult to really have the right circumstances to put on "Dreamcoat." It's a star vehicle for two people, plus an Elvis impersonator and a couple of cameos, then everyone else gets stuck in the chorus. As much as it's become a standard for high school drama departments, it's really not a fair choice for that 95% of the time.

Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:10 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

The Phantom Tollbooth- Tock

Sun Mar 18, 2007 9:04 am
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

when i do joseph we always do 2 narrators. but we ususally double things up becuase we have very large casts. the last joseph i was in was like a cast of 75

onnce we did seussical with a cast of over 100

Thu Mar 29, 2007 1:24 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

More than one narrator? eh i don't know. I could see how it's done but I'm an old fashioned actor, if you're not going to do the show as written then don't do it. It's the same as those people who split up the parts in Into the Woods becasue there are so many actors. My opinion...If you were talented enough to get the part, would ylou want to share it with two other people just because there was a large turnout at auditions? No the part should go to the best person, not the best three people.

Hamlet - Claudius
Caberet - Emcee
Footloose- R. Sean Morrow
Titanic- Thomas Andrews
Les Miz- Javert
Into the Woods- Baker

Fri Apr 06, 2007 12:41 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

When my school did it several years ago we had just one narrator and she was FABULOUS! But, I think that really is the way it should be. Sure, everyone wants a lead role, but it's also a load of fun being in the chorus. Especially with "Joseph" and all the different parts a chorus member could play. The girls in ours had like seven costume changes. Which is more than the narrator had. Not that that really means anything...
School productions shouldn't be about everybody's chance to shine. If they want a chance to shine badly enough, they'll work at it and will make it eventually. Besides that, "Joseph" is just a really fun show to be a part of. I was a junior chorus member. All I ever sang was "ahhhh" with the rest of them. And yet, I had the time of my life. You don't need the lead to have fun. So the lead doesn't have to go to everybody. There's three girls with amazing talent at the school? Great!! Give one the lead for this show and give the other two leads in the next ones. Problem solved.

Thu Apr 19, 2007 4:31 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I think 2 narrators are fine. If anything I feel it's better as the audience get to see two talents for the price of one! And it's not such a strain on one person.

BUT each to their own. I suppose it can be seen as slightly wrong as the show is meant to have ONE narrator only.

Joseph is mainly a chorus show anyway so everyone gets a chance to shine.

Although if I had to list the members of this forum whose sense of self-worth seems alarmingly dependent upon the constant sycophantic support of internet-based friends, I`d certainly run out of fingers. - Mumsytype

Fri Apr 20, 2007 7:42 am
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: Oklahoma!, Les Mis
Main Role: Performer
2, that way they can either do one narrator do act 1 and the other act 2, or they can sing as duets. there was two when i did it and they worked really well together

Recent: Ado Annie - Oklahoma!, Cecilia - Purple Rose of Cairo

Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:56 am
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

superdave wrote:
Plus it teaches girls, that in theatre "If Everyone does well in audition-Everyone deserves a lead" and when they hit the real world...they are going to be in for a rude awakening.

I disagree. When I did the show in a high school, there were five senior ladies who had been through the whole process together for their entire high school careers and were all great performers. Two ended up splitting the one lead role, one got to be Mrs. Potiphar, and the other two had to spend the show dressed as men, playing brothers. It definitely didn't teach them that everyone gets a lead.

It's difficult to really have the right circumstances to put on "Dreamcoat." It's a star vehicle for two people, plus an Elvis impersonator and a couple of cameos, then everyone else gets stuck in the chorus. As much as it's become a standard for high school drama departments, it's really not a fair choice for that 95% of the time.

Why is Joseph a high school or young people's standard? I can never figure that out...

Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:23 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

It was originally written for Schools to perform, in concert form at the very begining

Tue May 01, 2007 6:48 am
Profile WWW

And even in its modern form, it's still very easy to perform and stage. It also lets you use a basically unlimited chorus. Those things all make it very appealing to high schools...but what tends to be forgotten is that out of the whole cast, only two or three don't get screwed.

Thu May 03, 2007 9:41 pm

Main Role: Fan
Our Jr. High used 3 narrators to good effect. They were some of the most talanted kids at the school, and were all able to harmonize with each other to good effect. They were all either sopranos or mezzos, and did 3 part harmony very well. They moved seemlessly in and out of the production.

They each received fairly equal time on stage, but each was able to showcase their talents. For example: one of the narrators was also an accomplished vilolinist. She accompanied the chorus during the "One More Angel in Heaven" and "Those Cannan Days".

Thu Jun 07, 2007 4:13 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

In the production I was in last year, there was one Narrator who did all the singing, and then we had a Dancer-Narrator. She was basically the Narrator's "helper", and did a lot of lyrical dancing while the Narrator sang.

Currently: Searching desperately for jobs

Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:47 pm
Reply to topic   [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next