One 47%  47%  [ 26 ]
Two 16%  16%  [ 9 ]
Three 22%  22%  [ 12 ]
More than three 15%  15%  [ 8 ]
Total votes : 55

More than one Narrator 
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

at my junior high, we double cast the show, AND we split the narrator into 3 parts. speaking as one of the Six narrators, it wasnt very fun. i was hardly in the show cuz i was never in the ensemble, and i got to do only 2 performances after working hard for almost three months. i guess it makes sense for a school show, i just wish the part hadnt been split up so much...

Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:55 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

We also used three narrators, but just spit up the line in the songs or had 2 or all sing something at the same time. I thought it worked out nicely. This was community theatre by the way.

Sat Jan 03, 2009 1:00 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post Multiple Narrators
We just finished a production of Joseph last fall and we had used two narrators. It worked out very well overall, I think. We purposely started the show off with the two of us singing one line after the other and then duets in certain parts to help the audience realize that there were two people narrating the story. From there we both had parts in each song and tried to divide it up by vocal ranges.

Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:27 am
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

I voted for 1 (although it makes sence in school productions to split the part). This is because I think the narator should be grounded into the story, Ie GOD as it was when originaly produced with a male narator, or a Teacher as it is often done now.

Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:26 am
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

I have just been cast in a production of Joseph and we have 4 narrators. The reason for this is to give more females an opportunity, and I believe they will get split into sop 1, sop 2, mezzo and alto, although I am not sure. Yes, this does not stay true to ALW and Tim Rice's original writings, but it stays true to the fact that the show was written as a lenient show, aimed at schools and how best they want to put it on.

In all honesty, if you TRUELY wanted to stay exactly to the way ALW and Tim Rice wrote it, females should not be playing Narrators at all, it should be ONE MALE. So all the people saying stay true and make it one female, you are not staying true.

The other versions I have seen it done are with 3 female narrators, a male and female narrator, and a children's theatre company, who had 3 females cast as narrator, performing 7 shows, but each show a different girl would play the narrator, with some shows having two narrators for example: Show 1 - Sarah as Narrator, Show 2 - Trisha as Narrator, Show 3 - Trisha and Polly as Narrator. Etc. Then to back up there were 4 "Storytellers" who stood on the side of stage the full show, singing choir harmonies with the choir, and did not move, while the narrators moved around the stage.

Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:20 pm
Reply to topic   [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4