Two 16%  16%  [ 9 ]
Three 22%  22%  [ 12 ]
More than three 15%  15%  [ 8 ]
Total votes : 55

More than one Narrator 
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Post More than one Narrator
Has anyone done Joseph with more than one Narrator? When I did it at my local drama club, we split the part into three parts due to the amazing turnout of talented girls versus the extremely low number of girl parts. Basically, each Narrator represented each female vocal range- we had a soprano, mezzo and alto Narrator which gave us amazing harmonies. Our musical director was extremely talented and spent a lot of time working with them and writing them original harmonies. In fact, I feel that she should have sent them to Andrew Lloyd Webber- they added so much to the show they could be part of a professional production. Despite everyone in the cast's hatred of the show, it was the best show the group had ever done, mainly because of the Narrator harmonies.

Has anyone else done or seen the show with more than one Narrator? What do you guys think of that idea?

A final note: I still don't know how the rights people didn't murder us for our production.

Sat Dec 09, 2006 4:22 pm
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Since JOSEPH is mainly performed in schools and community theatre, having one narrator would be silly. A lot of the purpose of school productions is for parents to see their children doing something that they normally wouldn't do, so everybody gets their moment to shine. It wouldn't make sense to have the narrator played by one person in a community/school production.

In a professional production, however, the rules are a lot more harsh. If you don't have very much talent, you're not in. It's not about seeing children shine, it's about entertaining a theatre-going crowd.

Sat Dec 09, 2006 5:00 pm

If you choose to have more than one, you need to make sure that each one plays a separate personality, or even represents a certain thing. (For example, when I did the show, we had two narrators - one who represented the brothers' perspective, and one who represented Joseph's.) They have to be strong enough performers on their own to distinguish themselves - if you're not going to make each one its own distinct character, there's no point in splitting the part up.

The best thing to do is to have the narrators do separate songs, then combine (with harmony, of course) at key moments. You can either alternate song-by-song, or split the score up in blocks. Obviously, the two prologues and the finale should be done together for a sense of unity.

That said, it's a shame that single-narrator productions are becoming a rarity. I've only seen it done once. While it's great to have more than one narrator working together, casting an absolute powerhouse in the role to carry the whole show can be awe-inspiring.

Sun Dec 10, 2006 3:34 pm

Current Obsession: punctuation
Main Role: Fan
I saw it done in a church, where there were two narrators. Both were good; I just felt it was uneccessary and excessive.

The Very Angry Man has retired from musicals.net.

Sun Dec 10, 2006 3:37 pm
Profile WWW
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

In our production we had SIX narrators which probably seems exsessive but it turned out pretty nicely

Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:26 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

When I was a junior in high school, we had three. But it was a little unfair, in my opinion. I was excited b/c I hadn't been getting a lot of parts due to my type, and I finally felt that the role of the Narrator was perfect for me. Then I found out that three of us got it, including one girl who got everything. No problem, I thought. I mean, I like that other girl, she was always nice to me. Directors just kept on giving her everything! But I was excited to maybe do trios or each have songs or something.

Not so much. One girl sang the two act-opening songs ("Some folks dream of the wonders they'll do...." and "Pharoah's Story"), and I got the Potiphar song and THAT WAS IT. The "girl who got lots of stuff" got the entire rest of the show. I didn't understand it whatsoever. The director said, "I see the Potiphar scene as a whole different scene, and I wanted a different Narrator for it..." Blah, blah, blah...

But, that was almost ten years ago, and it sucked at the time, sure, but hey, that's life. And I just gotta remember that there will always be another show, another audition, another chance. And, a good thing that came out of that? One night I had lost my voice (at a rehearsal) but I still got up on stage and overacted the part through my facial expresssions and gestures, just to have fun with it, kind of like an acting exercise. It turns out that the guy playing Pharoah was planning on doing A Streetcar Named Desire in the spring, and after watching me that night and seeing me work and not being afraid to try, he asked me to audition and gave me the role of Stella! Everything happens for a reason!! :-)

Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:38 am

Location: In the woods far from civilisation (yet still with electricity? hmmm...)
Main Role: Performer
The narrator's got a ton of singing (and a massive range) and it would be interesting to add harmonies where the songs would otherwise be the same throughout. Also, the narrator is the only female lead so to give more people a chance (because most of the narrator's stuff is belt) so there could be a sop, a mezzo with strong belt and an alto with a strong lower range, or something... i'm not really sure but this is the part that got me into musicals in the first place so it is (as in my sig) one of my dream roles and if i had the chance to direct, i'd do that.
Loads of people wud go for the role (it's the best female role in the show) and while the stage time may be split unfairly on occasions, this way gives lots of people the chance to show what they can do.
I agree with Beagle on Stage, because if all the narrators have really similar personalities, the show would just be boring. But it might be interesting if the characters had a small link to eachother - one that wasn't directly obvious... :-k
8) :wink:

[color=#80BFFF]lalalalala![/color]
I'm BACK! [color=#8040FF]But I need to work out a picture to put here...[/color]
[size=150]Team Cathy! :D[/size]

Fri Jan 12, 2007 5:55 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

The added harmonies sounds interesting. I agree that it may make sense for a school to split up the narrator part, in order to compensate for the lack of good female roles in Joseph. However, it bugs me when directors just alter the material as they please, to suit their purposes. If the show doesn't have the right amount of roles for your group, don't do it! There are plenty of other shows available that would be more appropriate. Lol, sorry, it's just a pet peeve of mine. If ALW wanted it to be one narrator, it should be one narrator.

:mrgreen:

Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:48 am
Profile WWW

Location: In the woods far from civilisation (yet still with electricity? hmmm...)
That's a really good point! The thing is, at my local drama group we might be doing it soon and the proportion of girls:boys is about 3:1. I agree, altho it's a fab show, it wouldn't really be suited to the group

I'm BACK! [color=#8040FF]But I need to work out a picture to put here...[/color]

Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:03 am

But, when you think about it the Narrator is the only worthy female role in the show. The only other one that says anything is Potiphar's Wife, who's only in one scene.
Sure, there are a gazillion wives, but... they do nothing, I'm not gonna lie.

Fri Jan 12, 2007 4:59 pm
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

We should respect the way that Sir Andrew Lloyd Webber and Sir Tim Rice have written the score. Being that, there should only be ONE narrator. I am under the belief, I guess it's because I want things to be so... You need to be about 95% True to the script when doing a show--becuase it shows honor to the people that wrote it.

If a community theatre/ high school has a bunch of talented girls--well ONE should only make it. Splitting up the principal role, just seems very silly to me. Plus it teaches girls, that in theatre "If Everyone does well in audition-Everyone deserves a lead" and when they hit the real world...they are going to be in for a rude awakening.

During my "career" so far-- I have had only ONE lead. And I tell you, I was worlds better than most at the auditions. It's just the nature of the beast. And that's the way it should be done.

West Side Story-A-rab
Forum- Hero
A Christmas Carol-Bob Crachit
Narnia-Mr. Beaver
La Cage Aux Folles-Hercule
Fiddler on the Roof-Sasha/Dancer

Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:26 pm

true - the score was written like that for a reason

Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:17 am
Reply to topic   [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next