Neeley's back. Tell a friend.

Got this in my inbox today!

Quote:

The Egyptian Theatre Company presents
TED NEELEY
in
JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR

Directed by Daniel Simons

Ted Neeley has played the role of Jesus on stage thousands of times and on screen in the original film version of Superstar directed by Norman Jewison.

The biggest rock musical ever to play the Egyptian Theatre!
Dates: December 15-23, 26-31
For front of house or cabaret seating, join the Pharaoh Club!
To buy tickets, click here!

My guess is that if he sees his shadow, he'll go back in the tomb and we'll have six more weeks of winter.

Sat Oct 22, 2011 1:21 pm
Profile ICQ YIM
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Current Obsession: Musicals!
Post TED NEELEY is Back Again
Brother Marvin Hinten, S. wrote:
My guess is that if he sees his shadow, he'll go back in the tomb and we'll have six more weeks of winter.

Is the shadow the performance he gives today compared to the performances he gave in the role in his prime? Is this what awaits Adam Pascal when he returns in a 2038 production of RENT? Has he done as many performances in the role as Yul Brynner did in The King and I or Richard Harris did in Camelot over their respective lifetimes?

It's all rather bizarre. Didn't he already do a farewell tour? Still, I guess that didn't stop Cathy Rigby from coming back as Peter Pan either.

All that said - would I see it if I was in Utah? Probably, yes.

Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:49 pm
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: Many
Main Role: Fan
Post Re: Guess who's back? Back again?
To answer your questions:

Quote:
Is the shadow the performance he gives today compared to the performances he gave in the role in his prime?

Many pro producers I work with are actually arguing that he's in his prime right now. They felt upon seeing him back in the Seventies that he was just another run-of-the-mill pretty boy who could belt a high note, and that with time, his performance had grown. I've heard stuff like "more depth," "a grit and texture to the voice that wasn't there before."

Quote:
Has he done as many performances in the role as Yul Brynner did in The King and I or Richard Harris did in Camelot over their respective lifetimes?

I'd wager a guess and say maybe more, maybe about the same. He's done well over 2,000 performances in the role of the Naz over 40 years.

Quote:
Is this what awaits Adam Pascal when he returns in a 2038 production of RENT?

Probably.

Quote:
It's all rather bizarre. Didn't he already do a farewell tour?

Truth be told, I think he did this as a little moonlighting to pay for the donkey.

From Rubicon Theatre Company's website:

Quote:
Ted Neeley and His Little Big Band (Jan. 20-29, 2012)
The launch of a national concert tour featuring Golden Globe nominated star of film and Broadway versions of Jesus Christ Superstar, with a 5-piece band, performing acoustic and electric hits.

Ted described the act in more detail on his website; his set will reportedly consist of backwoods blues and country reflecting his Texas roots, highlights from the rock musicals Ted has performed in over the years (yes, JCS will make an obligatory appearance, but also material from Hair, Tommy, and Sgt. Pepper), excerpts from his film scores for Robert Altman and others, and some new never-before-heard pop material. Thanks to his ongoing involvement with JCS over the years, it has been easy to forget that long before (and after) he ever shrieked at God in a garden eight times a week, Ted was a singer/songwriter, arranger, and producer, lending his ability to albums and appearances by such artists as Nigel Olsson, Tina Turner, Disco Tex and the Sex-O-Lettes, Ray Charles, Bo Diddley, and Meat Loaf. However, the general public is unaware of this, again primarily thanks to his ongoing involvement with JCS over the years.

My guess is that in this recession, no promoter was going to take a chance on "Ted Neeley Solo Star" financially on a national level until he proved that he had an audience. Ted Neeley is synonymous with Jesus in the minds of many JCS fans, but he is not now nor has he ever been a household name.

As you said:

Quote:
I guess that didn't stop Cathy Rigby from coming back as Peter Pan either.

It's a recession, and this has been his day job for 40 years. Let him make a quick buck so he can try his hand at being a more mainstream nostalgia act. And as you put it, I would probably see it if I was in Utah, too, and I say this having seen at least one performance from all four legs of the Farewell Tour.

Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:39 am
Profile ICQ YIM

Current Obsession: MUSIC in MUSICals
Have been going through a JCS phase lately. Just watched the movie again after last seeing it in full many, many years ago and enjoyed it on a level I never did before. More on that later.

I also got curious to see if Ted was still blasting those chords at the holy father and came across a couple of reviews of the production featured here by Bro. Marlon Brando. I think it's natural to expect skepticism but the two critics who saw it loved him in the role and both mentioned he belted the crap out of it. I'm impressed. You go Mr. Neeley.

Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:13 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Well, belting the crap out of it has never been Ted's problem.

1973:

1993:
Clip One

Clip Two

Full Song

1994:

1998:

2006:

2007:

2008:

2010:

Take One

Closing Show of Farewell Tour

Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:45 pm
Profile ICQ YIM

Current Obsession: MUSIC in MUSICals
I know of Ted's awesomeness and the skepticism was mentioned only cause it isn't every day that someone of his age could produce those types of notes. At least as good as they did when they were younger. I was expecting to read that his age is starting to show in his vocal performance, but not so. Apart from that, you'd think his chords would be shredded by now, but he obviously is aware of technique and practices healthy shrieking, hehe.

Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:24 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

He's never been trained, except to once have a vocal coach hired to work with the chorus of one JCS tell him that he was actually now a bass baritone based purely on age and expected range retention; the guy had no clue where these falsetto screams came from.

Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:08 pm
Profile ICQ YIM
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Hate to bump it, but for Quique's benefit, here's Ted still doin' it (January 28, at the Rubicon Theater Company, as part of his solo showcase, discussed earlier in the thread):

Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:39 pm
Profile ICQ YIM
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]