The Resource For Musicals

Jesus Christ Superstar Forum

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
Licensing needs? 
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post Licensing needs?
Hi I was wondering if anyone here could explain to me what are the requirements for starting JCS from the ground up? This is a church play btw. Mostly I'm wondering about Licenses(if any are needed, this is non profit) any help is appreciated.

Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:10 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: Many
Main Role: Fan
Still wise to apply for a license. To apply for the license for a U.S. production of JCS, visit www.rnh.com, the website of Rodgers and Hammerstein Theatricals, which licenses JCS here, and talk to them. They're the best source of info at present. Rights may currently be restricted due to the ongoing tour featuring Ted Neeley from the original film, but if you time it right, you'll be able to catch the rights between legs of the tour.

Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:29 am
Profile ICQ YIM
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

They've told me on a number of occasions that the rights are frozen until the tour ends.

Andy.

JCS 2003 (Apostle/Swing)
IOLANTHE 2004 (Peer)
EVITA 2007 (Swing)
CANAJUN EH? (2007)
CHRISTMAS LOVE TRAIN (2007)

Wed May 13, 2009 8:16 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: Many
Actually, thanks to Andy and the R&H website, I stand corrected. As of September 8, 2008, R&H Theatricals have ceased licensing JCS for performances beginning in 2009. They have cited continuing interest in the show and "exciting ideas in development."

Thu May 14, 2009 4:00 am
Profile ICQ YIM
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Alright thanks for your help but I guess I forgot to add its actually for a south american country. Would I have to look for whoever holds the rights here? How do i know if that someone even exists?

Tue May 19, 2009 10:01 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

There is a section about the availability of the rights on the Really Useful website. It might help.

Tue May 19, 2009 10:14 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Yes, but the email that you get from RUG after you inquire about rights and it contains a link to rhe R&H Company.

Andy.

JCS 2003 (Apostle/Swing)
IOLANTHE 2004 (Peer)
EVITA 2007 (Swing)
CANAJUN EH? (2007)
CHRISTMAS LOVE TRAIN (2007)

Sun May 31, 2009 8:55 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

We've just applied for and received a license to produce JCS in the UK in 2011.

Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:10 am
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: CATS, Charm&Smiley.
What I got from RUGs web page is that licences is given on an indivudual basis but if its an production nearby you chances are greatly reduced that you get a licence. If there is a US tour its understandeble that the tour blocks productions, at least big proffesional dito, in US but I would doubt it shall block all licences in south america as well.

So I can see no wrong in aplaying, weather its to RUG or that other company. After all you cant get more than a no. :wink:

Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:02 am
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

My rights were a sticky subject. Our theatre scheduled to do the show in May of 2010. I applied in June of 2009 and told that all rights were being withheld until january 1, 2010. I applied at 12:01 am on Jan 1 and was denied. After several calls to find out why, they told me that since the touring production with Ted Neeley was coming just before my show dates, that if I postponed my show opening by 1 weekend, I would be given the rights. Done and Done. Now we open May 14. It seems the touring company requires 4 or 6 weeks of no other productions of the show after they leave town.

Ken

Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:48 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post Re: Licensing needs?
Not sure if this is still a pending question, but... yes... you absolutely do need to license this through R&H. They WILL find you if you don't. They found my theater company when we were simply talking about it on a secure website used by the company. They basically gave us a "cease and desist" and told we can't even publically (or otherwise) advertise we're doing JCS UNTIL we get licensed. We also had links to JCS clips (both 73 movie and national tour) from YouTube posted on our site and they told us to knock it off with those too! (we were like, "uhm, they're on YouTube and we're just linking to them" - they weren't amused).

R&H had (and periodically does) put JCS licensing on hold. We were on pins and needles waiting for several months until they re-opened licensing on Oct 1, 2010 (our production is March 2011). We applied at 8:01 on Oct 1 and just received our approval in the past week.

My advise is this: they're a big company with laywers and lots of money - don't mess with them and do what they tell you to do!

Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:21 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]