The Resource For Musicals

Jesus Christ Superstar Forum

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Omission of Then We Are Decided 
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

The now defunct Candlewood Theatre did a US tour in the late 1980's that included "Then We Are Decided". It was not listed in the program, whichlead me to believe they just added the song without the rights.

Sun Mar 16, 2008 4:27 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: Many
Main Role: Fan
Danny Zolli goes into detail about that in his interview for JCS.net. They indeed didn't get the rights, and they got hit hard for it at the time by the rights holders.

Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:35 pm
Profile ICQ YIM
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

It gives insight as to why Annas convinces his son-in-law to have Jesus killed. Annas plants the seed in TWAD then he forces Caiphas' hand in TJMD by filling the other Priests with doubts and fear.

"Jesus is important" Caiaphas says. He KNOWS that he's in a "major war" he cannot win, so he is resigned to it. Life goes on. The reason why he is concerned about the Priesthood is because he wants to save face for his father-in-law.
He also knows that the people ar losing faith in him as a leader. He is up against some carpenter who thinks he's a King! He is clearly not fit to be the High Priest. Let's face it, he could have jailed Jesus ANYTIME HE WANTED, but didn't. Why?

a) Caiaphas knew that Jesus was the next big thing
b) he is weak and can't make a strong decision
c) I have often thought that Caiaphas might have been thinking of becoming a follower of Christ.

Annas knows this and starts to play with Caiaphas' weakened state of mind.
Annas sees the power that Jesus has and he wants it for himself. He wants to be high Priest. He knows how to make decisions. He has the ego.
So, he says "bring it to the council" and they'll give you suggestions. But, Annas really means that he will sway the Council to take up the cause and kill Jesus. Annas then convinces Caiaphas that there is only one solution.
Remember, this song happens on Friday night... the same night as "WTB/STM" so when we get to TJMD, a couple of days have passed and Caiaphas has thought about what must be done.

TJMD happens on Palm Sunday. Caiaphas is still trying to debate whether to go through with what he and Annas talked about.
Caiaphas, let's not forget, admires Jesus. Jesus COULD be a meal ticket for the disillusioned Priest.
Annas has other ideas. He wants Jesus dead. Plain and simple. He wants to kill Christ for power and recognition.
He gets under Caiaphas' skin about how big and succesful Jesus is and the other Priests (swayed by Annas) look at Jesus like they did when John was baptising in the Jordan river.
Caiaphas, irritated, lashes out. Again to save face in front of his collegues and people, he goes along with the plan. He doesn't know that Annas is running the show. But it's not important anymore. He's lost control and he wants to make it look like he's doing the right thing.

TWAD and TJMD are two completely different conversations. Even Mr. Zolli has unique insiught to each song. He even said to me "It breaks my heart that TWAD can't be officially added to the show because it explains so much about Annas and Caiaphas."

And, no Gibby, it doesn't disrupt thbe flow of the opera. Between WTB/STM and EA is the perfect place for it.

Andy.

I think it's more along the lines of Caiaphas doesn't want to get the people hating him for getting rid of Jesus, so he's gotta find something that will make them not support him.
And Annas was actually the High Priest BEFORE Caiaphas. just fyi.

Sun Jun 29, 2008 6:36 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Which is exactly why Annas is stirring the pot. HE wants to get rid of Jesus. CAIAPHAS is undecided.

Annas is feeding off his son-in-law's indecision. Watch the film... Annas is always in Caiaphas' ear. He is controlling the situation. Caiaphas thinks about it, then goes with Annas in their following scene with the Sandhedrin.

Caiaphas is weak. Annas is in control and evil.

Andy.

JCS 2003 (Apostle/Swing)
IOLANTHE 2004 (Peer)
EVITA 2007 (Swing)
CANAJUN EH? (2007)
CHRISTMAS LOVE TRAIN (2007)

Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:04 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: Many
Main Role: Fan
Well, I do see Annas as in control, but hardly an evil man. These were all people thrust together by circumstances, no one in this show is either just a good person or just a bad person.

Annas is not evil. Annas is simply concerned. He's worked all his life to achieve this. The Romans have his people by their collective balls (pardon the vulgarity) and have had them there for the better part of a hundred years. His people were once a great and proud nation, and now they have another conqueror's foot on their neck. He's managed to get into a position where he can gradually obtain more and more freedoms for his people. He can keep doing it until they're just like they were when they ruled themselves, were it not for the fact that the Romans granted them.

So he took bribes, practiced forms of corruption. From compromise he was always one step closer to his goal. The traditional priesthood was a shambles and at least with him in the seat he could try to return it to some semblance of tradition. He held a position of great importance as the chief religious authority in the land. He controlled the Temple treasury, managed the Temple police and other personnel, performed religious ritual, and served as president of the Sanhedrin (their Supreme Court, of sorts).

He served ten years in the priesthood, and then managed to get his son-in-law Caiaphas installed so he could continue advising for the sake of the nation. And just when he's worked so long for compromise to get to victory, along comes Jesus. This man is against everything he stands for, and appears willing to destroy the nation for the sake of being recognized as the Messiah. He will stop at nothing to see him removed if it means their religion is not destroyed and their people are not eradicated. This is not to say he doesn't agree with Jesus on some level, but he's between the proverbial rock and a hard place in this instance. And he will stand for a firm nation and a proud people over one man's life.

No doubt he and Pilate had standing arrangements for how to deal with subversive persons such as Jesus. All it took was the order. After the show was over, Caiaphas went on to finish his term (eighteen years in the priesthood, ten of them under Pontius Pilate - I'd say he was well-trained in cooperating with Roman authority). Annas had his country. But come 70 A.D., just as in "Poor Jerusalem," they learned they were doomed anyway.

Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:07 am
Profile ICQ YIM
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Here's my question: how is including "Could We Start Again Please" (which is not only done all the time but written for the movie along with TWAD) in the stage show not a rights violation?

"...Apples is probably the one who's posted the most relevant musical stuff long term in the past few months."- UniquePerspective

Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:40 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

It's part of the standardized licensed score now. Then We Are Decided is not.

Very tightly, very soon.
So wave one bachelor goodbye,
She'll be your bride- she'd rather die
Than have her daddy ossify
In my sordid saloon..."

Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:43 pm
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Main Role: Performer
Could We start again Please was written for the original broadway production. Then we Are Decided was the only song written for the film.

Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:24 am
Profile WWW
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

"Salome"]Could We start again Please was written for the original broadway production. Then we Are Decided was the only song written for the film.

Yes indeed. It is only the original concept album that it was not included on.

Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:53 pm
Reply to topic   [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2