1973 vs. 2000 

Thu Aug 10, 2006 5:35 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Fri Aug 11, 2006 11:32 am
Profile YIM WWW
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Believe it or not, I'm going to disagree with Jesus on this one. I think the 1973 movie is a godawful piece of trash movie that isn't worth anyone's time to watch. I hate hippies and I don't think that the show has anything to do with hippies or should. I much prefer the vaguely Orwellian post-apocolyptic netherworld idea, and I think it's a lot darker and more chilling than wacky hippies. And, being a fan of Caiaphas, I much prefer Frederick Owens over Bob Bingham. Bingham just doesn't do it for me with his raspy bass voice, and the costume he's wearing is absolutely laughable, with that stupid hat. The priests should inspire much more fear than that, which I feel was properly accomplished in the 2000 movie version.

So, that's my two cents. I'm sure I'm the only person in the world who feels this way, but at least I've expressed my opinion.

Previous Roles
Herr Schultz- Cabaret
Thenardier- Les Miserables
Caiaphas- Jesus Christ Superstar
Cogsworth- Beauty and the Beast
Judge Turpin- Sweeney Todd[/i]

Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:05 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Oh my god the hats! How could I forget...maybe I tried to blank them out or something.
Two things I remembered from my first time watching the 73 movie - lame dancing in Simon Zealotes and the awful hats! It took me 5 and a half years before I could bear to even consider watching any version of it after that!

I think the show is much more interesting if it's easy to relate to - part of the whole point of the show to me is presenting all these famous religious figures as real people, and the 2000 version seems to me much more relevant and accessible. I didn't say I couldn't see parallels in the 73 version, I just don't find them particularly interesting.

Even with some crappy performances, I find the 2000 version more engaging.

Definitely agree with kittengoespop on most points
"Wacky hippies" are rather embarassing.

Fri Aug 11, 2006 2:14 pm
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

I first saw JCS, the film version when I was 12. And I loved it...I still watch it... I think its what it is. I mean, guys the film was filmed in 1973--before Digital Technology was available. JCS, on Broadway was bizzare--I have looked at pictures, and if I had seen it today-- I would be wondering what in the hell, just occured. So them stripping it down, to a bare minimum...I think was the prime intention. Plus, you cant get away with how good the singers are in the 73 version. I mean Anderson and Neeley--no questions. I get chills when I hear, Neeley do Gethsemane...and Anderson, wont even go there. I liked the preists, you cannot forget the contrast of the weasely sound of Annas, mixed in with the grumbling of Caiaphas. You cannot forget the craziness of the Herod Song. Or Barry Dennen!--That guy rocked as Pilate, he defined the role.
Sure there are setbacks, one the film is dated, two Simon is a little bit too much, the visuals arent as good...
I think JCS in a gotham, appoloyptic settting is chilling and does wonders for the show...but in 1973-- JCS was what it was...A Rock and Roll Show with hippies. Get over it.

West Side Story-A-rab
Forum- Hero
A Christmas Carol-Bob Crachit
Narnia-Mr. Beaver
La Cage Aux Folles-Hercule
Fiddler on the Roof-Sasha/Dancer

Sun Aug 13, 2006 9:29 am
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

I agree. It was a rock show with hippies. I just can't stand it as a pop show with X generation kids. I prefer the 1973 version. It doesn't matter if it is dated. For some reason, people seem to think for something to be cool, it has to be up to date. I completely disagree.

Sun Aug 13, 2006 5:21 pm
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

But see, I don't think JCSS is about hippies. I also don't like the overall campiness of the 1973 movie. The 2000 movie takes itself much more seriously and the industrial atmosphere, I think, works better than the desert. But again, that's just me, and I know that everyone thinks the 1973 movie is considered by some, for I don't know what reason, a classic movie.

Previous Roles
Herr Schultz- Cabaret

Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:10 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:13 am
Profile YIM WWW
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

I think the 1973 movie is a godawful piece of trash movie that isn't worth anyone's time to watch. I hate hippies and I don't think that the show has anything to do with hippies or should.

The show was written in 1969/70. The musical was a part of the hippie movement. It had a huge impact in America because of Hippies. The original record was a flop in Engalnd. It took two years for Superstar to take off in England but was an instant sensation in America. It was America that gave Superstar a chance. It struck a chord with the Hippie generation. It spoke of a a long haired radical preaching peace. But he is kept down by "the man" for upsetting the status quo. His political upheavals get him killed. JCS IS about hippies because Superstar was Abie and Jerry being tried in Chicago. Hippies understood SUPERSTAR because they were being killed at Kent State for upsetting the staus quo. Judge Hoffman, Governor Rhodes and President Nixon were the hippies Ciaphas, Annas and Pilate! Superstar was a perfect metaphor for what was going on in the streets at the time.

No art work can be divorced from the era it is created in. It reflects it's time as well as speak to the human condition as a whole

To say that Superstar has nothing to do with Hippies clearly was written by someone who has no first hand knowledge of Superstar when it first came out or the impact it had on youth culture of the day.

Sat Aug 19, 2006 1:40 pm
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Okay, fine. I still don't like hippies, and I still don't like the 1973 movie.

Previous Roles
Herr Schultz- Cabaret

Sat Aug 19, 2006 2:28 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Quote:
No art work can be divorced from the era it is created in. It reflects it's time as well as speak to the human condition as a whole

Definitely disagree with this statement, at least in relation to theatre.
(especially as I've got a 2000 word essay kicking around on my laptop on why Shakespeare "was not for an age but for all time" :? )

Sun Aug 20, 2006 2:05 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Sun Aug 20, 2006 6:58 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Reply to topic   [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next