The Resource For Musicals

Jesus Christ Superstar Forum

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
new JCS remake Spring 2018 on NBC 
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

Post new JCS remake Spring 2018 on NBC
The role of Jesus is offered to be played as a man or a woman. Audrey MacDonald is an example. Even Lady GaGa is offered to play Herod. What do you think?

Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:07 am
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

Post Re: new JCS remake Spring 2018 on NBC
Alice Cooper will now play King Herod. Cool!

Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:49 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Ok, acceptable show.

John Legend(Jesus)- Fair. His big test was Gethsemane which I think he blew. He doesn't have a big voice, and he didn't seem to understand, it's a musical, so emote, don't just sing the song.

Alice Cooper(Herod)- Fair. LIke Legend, he just sang the song and not emote. I think he was just riding his star power and didn't put much in. At least he made "lord" and "fraud" rhyme this time.

Ben Daniels(Pontius PIlate)- Bleah. Surely there had to be someone better. He just walked through his role.

Sara Bareilles(Mary Magdalene)- Very good. I had a lot of confidence in her and she proved me right. She understood that it was a play and requires acting.

Norm Lewis(Caiaphas)- Fair. Like the others, he walked through his role without getting into character.

Brandon Victor Dixon(Judas)- Good. Possibly has musical theater training? He understood to emote as he sang.

The show itself had a 60's feel, which made sense. Staging a show like that sounds difficult. Oddly, it's open to interpretation so making it look 2000 years ago is not necessary. While it has it's shortcomings, I think JCS 2000 is the best presentation when judging all the performances.

Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:03 pm

Main Role: Fan
Pounce wrote:
Ok, acceptable show.

John Legend(Jesus)- Fair. His big test was Gethsemane which I think he blew. He doesn't have a big voice, and he didn't seem to understand, it's a musical, so emote, don't just sing the song.

Alice Cooper(Herod)- Fair. LIke Legend, he just sang the song and not emote. I think he was just riding his star power and didn't put much in. At least he made "lord" and "fraud" rhyme this time.

Ben Daniels(Pontius PIlate)- Bleah. Surely there had to be someone better. He just walked through his role.

Sara Bareilles(Mary Magdalene)- Very good. I had a lot of confidence in her and she proved me right. She understood that it was a play and requires acting.

Norm Lewis(Caiaphas)- Fair. Like the others, he walked through his role without getting into character.

Brandon Victor Dixon(Judas)- Good. Possibly has musical theater training? He understood to emote as he sang.

The show itself had a 60's feel, which made sense. Staging a show like that sounds difficult. Oddly, it's open to interpretation so making it look 2000 years ago is not necessary. While it has it's shortcomings, I think JCS 2000 is the best presentation when judging all the performances.

A saw the show last night and agree with all your assessments Pounce. I was suspicious that Legend wouldn't be able to carry off Gethsemene and I was right. For a great rendition of the song listen to Michael Crawford's version. Sara and Brandon were the best actors in the show. You are right about Brandon - he played Aaron Burr in Hamilton. I actually really liked the way they staged the crucifixion. It looked like Jesus was being pulled off into another dimension.

Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:02 am
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

I saw John Legend try to pull off Gethsemane and he bombed. He couldn't hit that high note but just went around it. He was miscast. I see him as Jesus in Godspell. Now he would have suceeded in that one because it fitted his voice. I agree on Brandon Victor Dixon and Sara Bareilles. both were perfect.

Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:58 am
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

It was announced that John Legend was nominated for an Emmy as lead actor in a tv movie. In my honest opinion, he shouldn't have been nominated. He couldn't sing the part well. The guy who played Judas should have been nominated instead.

Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:22 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]