The Resource For Musicals

Jekyll & Hyde Forum

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
Hyde performance 
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post Hyde performance
Okay, I have been recently been cast as Hyde in our performance of J&H. I know the story, and heard all the songs (I know everyone of them off by heart) and have watched other performance's to get an idea of how people portray the show. Our director has decided to cast Jeykll and Hyde as two seperate character's, the problem is, the person that is cast as Jeykll is a trained singer (and a bloody good one at that!) and I on the other hand cannot sing to save my life. I can hold a tune, but when I sing Hyde's song's, I tend to lose character if I focus on singing and when I focus on the character, I tend to lose melody. Just would like a thought on which is more important, Singing or acting? I know it is a musicial and I would like to show off my singing ablities (I'm not THAT bad,) However, our director said focus more on bringing the charcter out. So, I would just like to know what people would think is more important in putting on a good show.

Thanks

Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:42 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: Mamie Parris
Main Role: Performer
In my opinion, actors who sing with intention are always better than great singers with blank faces and no character. Hyde's part, with the exception of Dangerous Game, should not be unreasonably difficult to speak-sing. Focus on the passion and intensity of the character, and the appropriate sound should come out naturally.

The Witch, Into the Woods

Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:02 am
Profile YIM
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

On the cast recording, the actor playing Jekyll/Hyde generally has a rougher sound when he's being Hyde. Not to say he doesn't still sound brilliant, but it's not as polished which is done because of the character. When he is Jekyll, his voice is calmer which shows the difference between the two personas. I, personally, would suggest you put acting first but that's not to say forget about the singing. Work on the songs but come the performance, get really into the character and sometimes that will also help you with the singing too. Hope this helped in some way! :D

Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:35 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: Team Starkid,Assassins,Elisabeth, Spring Awakening
In my opinion, acting should always be more important than singing. I'm more willing to look at a great actor with a voice that's not as strong than at a great singer who can't bring the character out.

And the singing will become easier after you've practiced the part a couple of times. At least, that's my expierence.

Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:13 am
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Thanks guys, I really do appreciate the feedback.

Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:19 am
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Current Obsession: Writing a Batman musical
Post Re: Hyde performance
The show's probably past by now, but having played the role and spoken with and seen several more who have, I really think you need to find a balance between acting and singing that is maybe just a tad more weighted toward acting, especially for the role of Hyde (though it's Jekyll's part that is the most taxing). The singing is his dark passion coming out, and while some of it can and should be speak singing, a lot of it needs to be flat out belted. The obvious problem with the role of Hyde (or the challenge) is that unlike most other shows, if you don't find a nigh perfect balance, you basically lose or damage your voice. That goes for whether you're singing, or just trying to act the heck out of the part and doing what I like to call Dark Rhyming. :) How did it go?

Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:42 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]