Jekyll & Hyde Forum

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
The "Real" basis of Jekyll & Hyde: The Musical 
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: Mamie Parris
Main Role: Performer
Post The "Real" basis of Jekyll & Hyde: The Musical
Has anyone seen the 1941 movie adaptation with Spencer Tracy and Ingrid Bergman? I've heard a lot of people say that there shouldn't be love interests in Jekyll & Hyde - this film (which is obviously the "real" basis, moreso than the novella, of the show) is fantastic, with having both an Emma-like character and a Lucy-like character.

The musical is basically this movie, with the exception of Lucy staying in the Red Rat and things not going as far with Jekyll as they did in the movie. Oh, and the ending (the movie's was closer to the novella ending - and the best one yet, IMHO).

So, I guess what I'm saying is, it's not the characters themselves that should or should not have been put into the show - it is the way they are acted (and the way they were written. I'm not much a fan of some of the libretto myself).

Just thought I'd get that out there.

The Witch, Into the Woods

Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:15 pm
Profile YIM
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Have you seen the 1932 film version with Fredric March? Of all the movie versions it's the best, and the one that the musical borrows from the most. The licensed script for the musical even borrows Lucy's lines about Hyde, "He ain't human, he's a beast," verbatim from the '32 film.

Similarly, the television version from the 60's starring Jack Palance opens with a Board of Governors scene that obviously influenced the musical. The line "If I ever needed further justification for my experiments, gentlemen, you have just provided it" is taken directly from that film version.

Yes, the musical definitely takes a lot of its cues from the movie versions, not really the original novella itself...

Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:19 pm
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Main Role: Performer
yes.. Frederic March won the oscar for the 1932 version. which was a hell of alot better than the musical.

the Spencer Tracy film was a remake of the Frederic March version.

Fri Jun 19, 2009 5:49 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]