Jekyll & Hyde Forum

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
The Transformation 
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Current Obsession: Too many to list.
Main Role: Fan
Post The Transformation
In your own opinion do you think the The Transformation is more of a physical transformation or mental?

MDN's Superlative Voting Winner:Most Likely To Make You Laugh

Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:02 am
Profile WWW
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

"He is not easy to describe. There is something wrong with his appearance; something displeasing, something downright detestable. I never saw a man so disliked and yet I scare know why. He gives a strong feeling of deformity. He’s an extraordinary looking man..."

Basically, there is something intangible in his repulsiveness. He is evil incarnate, all of the bad stuff that is hiding inside Jekyll brought to the fore.

As far as physical characteristics....well....generally Hyde is played with a slight stoop, his movements are more fluid and animalistic versus Jekyll's more mannered gestures and posture.

Sat Jun 20, 2009 6:48 pm
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Post Re: The Transformation
Yakko wrote:
In your own opinion do you think the The Transformation is more of a physical transformation or mental?

Realized I didn't really answer your question....sorry!

I think it is about 70% mental and 30% physical. Like I said above, there is something malevolent about Hyde's person and that most likely comes from the evil inside him rather than some sort of disfigurement or something like that. He's still magnetic (in the musical), but like a moth to a flame--as is said in Dangerous Game--Lucy can't resist.

Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:50 pm
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Yakko wrote:

I think it is about 70% mental and 30% physical. Like I said above, there is something malevolent about Hyde's person and that most likely comes from the evil inside him rather than some sort of disfigurement or something like that. He's still magnetic (in the musical), but like a moth to a flame--as is said in Dangerous Game--Lucy can't resist.

Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:51 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: Mamie Parris
Main Role: Performer
The Russian wrote:
Yakko wrote:

I agree. There has to be a complete mental change; the physicality is important to communicate the difference in characters as well, but more of it comes from the tone of voice, both singing and speaking, in my opinion.

LOL, like a moth to the flame... sounds like my rewrite of the song (makes slightly more sense than Fire, fury and flame)!

I believe you said you played J&H, The Russian. Could I perhaps interview you? I like to get as much info on the possibilities and motivations within the character(s) as I possibly can, in the hopes of directing the show one day (as well as for my own complete and utter fascination with the show and subject matter), and want to be well-informed of as many interpretations as possible - and who better to ask than those who have done the show?

The Witch, Into the Woods

Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:18 pm
Profile YIM
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Ha, ha! Right....moth to a flame.....where did I get that??? Well, at any rate, it's better than "fire, fury, and flame" like you said! Maybe I was singing the wrong lyrics the whole time....hmmm....

Sure, I'll try to answer any question you have! Send me a PM or something!

Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:57 pm
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Current Obsession: Writing a Batman musical
I think there's a version that says "moth to the flame", though that may just be her rewrite I'm remembering. Nothing's worse than "Like a tiger to tame".

What's wrong with "fire, fury and flame"? It pretty much sums up exactly what's going on inside him, and sung right, sounds fantastic to boot.

Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:55 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: Mamie Parris
I think there's a version that says "moth to the flame", though that may just be her rewrite I'm remembering. Nothing's worse than "Like a tiger to tame".

What's wrong with "fire, fury and flame"? It pretty much sums up exactly what's going on inside him, and sung right, sounds fantastic to boot.

Fire and flame are the same thing. That is why it sounds silly to me.

The Witch, Into the Woods

Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:48 pm
Profile YIM
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Current Obsession: Writing a Batman musical

Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:01 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

No it isn't, but the lyrics are still very bad, but that goes for most of the show actually. The whole musical is one big cliché, and many of the songs are trapped in themselves. Although I do like "Dangerous Game", it's rather bad, especially lyric wise.

Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:22 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]