The Resource For Musicals

Jekyll & Hyde Forum

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
J & H audition song 
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Post J & H audition song
ANy suggestions of a good song to audition with for this musical? I'm not auditioning for any particular character, just the chorus. I am:

Female
Soprano [low B to D above staff]
romantic, idealist/dreamer (think Audrey, LSOH)

All help is greatly appreciated!

He will bring you the moon on a silver string.
Sing here again, home again,
Come again spring.
Home again . . . :cry:

Thu Jul 12, 2007 5:50 pm
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Post Audition song
I think if you look at a few postings on the forum you'll get some ideas, but pick something of a similar style that shows your voice well.

Perhaps Andrew Lloyd Webber is a good place to start. Something from Whistle Down the Wind or maybe "Wishing You Were Somehow Here Again" from Phantom of the Opera?

Thu Jul 12, 2007 6:52 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Post Re: Audition song
The Russian wrote:
I think if you look at a few postings on the forum you'll get some ideas, but pick something of a similar style that shows your voice well.

Perhaps Andrew Lloyd Webber is a good place to start. Something from Whistle Down the Wind or maybe "Wishing You Were Somehow Here Again" from Phantom of the Opera?

Phantom usually isn't a good choice for an audition. It's so overdone, and there are a lot of people out there who don't know any musical theatre besides Phantom. If you audition with Wishing You Were Somehow Here Again, as appropriate as it is for the part of Emma, it will look like you don't have an extensive knowledge of musical theatre.

Thu Jul 12, 2007 6:56 pm
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

So are you suggesting I don't have an extensive knowledge of musical theatre Eponine? :mrgreen:

Seriously, I think Phantom would be perfect for Emma and it's not as overdone as something like Les Mis is or any of Wildhorn's stuff. Yes, there was a time when it was DEATH to take Phantom to an audition, but it's cooled off a little. Besides, for something in a similar style and range to Emma's music, you can't go with R&H or Lerner and Lowe when the musical idom is SO very different. At least Phantom is from the same basic time period and speaks in a similar musical language.

So much of contemporary musical theatre is either full-belt or that Boublil/Schonberg pop belt like Lea Salonga has. And Emma certainly isn't that.

But if you want more depth to my suggestion perhaps Steps of the Palace from Into the Woods, or Green Finch and Linnet Bird from Sweeney Todd or even Much More from the Fantasticks

Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:16 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Nope, I wasn't saying that. Actually, not all Boubil and Schonesburg is full belt. I have a soprano audition book that includes "In My Life" from Les Mis. That would be OK if you want to use it because the songs in Les Mis you have to watch out for are "On My Own," "I Dreamed a Dream" and "Bring Him Home."

Anyway, I'm looking through the book now. I love the idea of doing "On the Steps of the Palace" but it's probably not the greatest idea to bring Sondheim to an audition, especially a J&H audition. "On the Steps of the Palace" is hard enough to sing as it is, without having to worry about a crazy accompianist.

Although... she's not auditioning for Emma, she's auditioning for the chorus. So, audreykrelbourne, what songs have you sang in the past? Since you're only going for the chorus (which... BTW... you'll have a fabulous time in the chorus, there is a lot of great chorus work in this show) why don't you go with something that's comfortable for you that you've sung before?

Sat Jul 14, 2007 7:53 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Main Role: Performer
If your audition is for a theatre where everyone makes the chorus I wouldn't worry too much about what you sing. However if it is hard to get in I would do what ever shows off your range the best.

I'm getting ready for a J&H audition myself and I'm looking at ALW songs, and so is another girl that is auditioning (particularly POTO), she's also looking into Les Miz as well. So yeah those will probably be the shows a lot of people's audition songs will come from.

Just remember the directors would rather hear you sing an overdone song really well than they would want to hear you struggle through something else just for the sake of being the only one singing it.

Oh yeah I almost forgot... I've heard people suggest stuff from the Scarlet Pimpernel, particularly "When I Look at You."

Break a leg!

~Annie

Sat Jul 14, 2007 3:35 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Wildhorn is overdone? I've never heard anyone sing any of his songs at ANY of the auditions I've attended.

However, I'd like to point out that though you're singing a song that the auditioners may have heard before, chances are it won't make that much of a difference.

The difference lies in not so much the song itself, but rather then how well you can sing it.

Praise to xxstagekiss

Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:22 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]