The Resource For Musicals

Jekyll & Hyde Forum

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Lucy/Emma audition 
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Post Lucy/Emma audition
I found out that my audition for J+H is on July 21, and I would love for some help regarding these two characters. I have seen this show, but both leading ladies were only so-so. Neither had or kept an accent thru the show, and they cut a great deal of what Emma sings.
So any character help would be greatly appreciated, specifically with accents for both. Thank you in advance for all of your help. :D

Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:02 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Main Role: Performer
Unless they ask for an accent don't use one in the audition. Chances are if you don't do it the way they want it you could lose your shot at the role.

Lucy is a prostitute because she didn't have much of a choice to do anything else. She is a good person who's looking for a way out.

Emma is very good, loyal and loving. She adores Dr. Jekyll.

If you have a napster subscription you can listen to the soundtrack. If you go to www.mtishows.com you can look at show info there to find out which songs Emma sings. However I saw a production in '05 that either added songs not on the MTI list or cut out songs from the MTI list.

Break a leg!

~Annie

Sun Jun 24, 2007 10:27 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Thank you, that's kind of how I saw the characters from the research I have already done. I also own both versions of the soundtrack, so I am very familiar with all of the music.
When I saw this show, it was very cut up(the director cut alot out). Emma only had maybe 2 songs. I am positive she didn't sing Letting Go or Emma's Reasons, which was a shame, because I remember the girl had a nice voice. With all of the cuts, it made the show sort of hard to follow, and really hard for people to understand Emma and Lucy's love a devotion to Jekyll. It was unfortunate.
Thanks again, Annie. I'll be sure to let everyone know how it goes.

Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:21 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I really doubt they'll want you to use accents during your singing audition. If you get called back to read... Lucy generally has a Cockney accent, which is a lot easier to do than you think (listen to the My Fair Lady cast recording for some good tips) and Emma has more of a normal British accent. However I would say Emma is more of a singing role than Lucy is. You can act the hell out of the role, but it's so poorly written that 99% of the time the director will go with the girl with more singing skills than acting skills. For Lucy, I think the singing and acting is pretty much equal, because almost anyone can sing all of her songs, but not everyone can act her out as multi-layered. Both are really hard to act out, because niether character is anything besides your basic ingenue and your basic musical-theatre herione whore, which makes it tough to make them realistic.

Sun Jul 01, 2007 7:13 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Thanks for your insight. I have been searching for a way to make these characters more real. Thanks again

Fri Jul 06, 2007 5:13 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

My pleasure... It was very hard for the leading ladies in our production to find a way to make them more two-dementional, as neither character is in the original novel. I believe someone told me the character of Lucy was in a straight stage play adaptation, but I'm not entirely sure where I heard this or if it even is true. Also, the character of Emma (who was definitely concieved just for the musical) was originally named Lisa and intented to be like the good side of Lucy, just as the character of Jekyll has his good and bad sides.

If I was playing Emma, I would portray her as a sweet, naive girl who was deeply affected by her mother's death and is terrified of ruining her relationship with Sir Danvers (her dad) or with Henry Jekyll. I tend to think of her along the lines of Cosette in Victor Hugo's novel Les Miserables (I know you're probably familar with the musical, but the character in the novel is completely different.) She's rich, pretty, naive and close to her father but obviously had a tragic past, which you learn when she mentions the death of her mother. As for Lucy, you pretty much have to use your imagination in developing a character for her, since there are no revealing facts about her childhood or her past.

Just out of curiousity, which character are you shooting for?

Mon Jul 09, 2007 6:54 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Either, at this point. I would love to be Lucy, because her songs are so fun. But Emma would be fun too, as I love "Letting Go". Unfortunately, what usually happens when I audition is they look at my resume, and say "Cool, we have our lead dancer" before I even sing, act, etc. It sucks, because I was a professional ballerina, and if I wanted to dance professionally, I would have kept going, but I don't want to be "the dancer" anymore.
This is a totally different theatre group for me, so I am hoping that I'll get a fair shot. Wish me merde! (merde is a dancer thing; it means good luck to a dancer).

Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:46 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

There's not really a role for a lead dancer in Jekyll and Hyde. I mean, obviously you have your girls who are good at dancing during "Bring on the Men" (or "Good and Evil" depending on what version you use) but besides that, dancing isn't really nessecary. All the rest of the numbers require good movement but not nessecarily dance. In my production, all of the people in the cast were primarily actors or singers.

What song are you singing for the audition?

Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:43 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

I had decided to sing When I Look at You from Scarlet Pimpernel, but now I am torn between that and I'll Forget You. The big problem is that I can't find the sheet music for the second one.
This always happens; I work on a song, and then find a potentially better one. GAAAHHHH!
One of the main reasons I decided to audition for J+H is because there isn't alot of dancing, so I am praying that I won't get type-cast again.

Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:39 am
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Audition is Saturday, please wish me 'merde'!

Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:43 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Merde! Have fun, and I hope you get the part!

Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:58 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Audition went freakishly well . . . but not expecting to get cast. The first thing the director said when he saw me was ,"Oh, this is the dancer."

Oh well. . . as the very wise fish Dory said: "Just keep swimming, just keep swimming, swiiiiiiiiiim, swiiiiiiiiiiim, just keep swimming. . . "

Dang, it's not working yet.

Tue Jul 24, 2007 12:02 pm
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next