Jekyll & Hyde Forum

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
I got the Warlow cast recording... 
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: Many
Main Role: Fan
Brother Marvin Hinten, S. wrote:
And who says you're the one who has the inside scoop on what J&H was supposed to be?

As someone who understands music and musicals, as someone who's been a fan of Frank Wildhorn and his shows for a long time, as someone who's done some research on him and his works, and as someone who knows a bunch of people who've talked to and interviewed Frank Wildhorn more than once.

~Sissi

If you understand music and musicals, you'd know the viewpoint he was writing from. As a fan, that doesn't give you the right to generalize what you say as if it's the truth. So you've done research; apparently, it wasn't very good if you don't know what I do (and I haven't even listened to some of his stuff). Big deal, you know people who interviewed him -- that's still not direct contact with the man himself, and while I have not had that, I've read enough about him to know where he was coming from.

Tue Nov 01, 2005 3:08 pm
Profile ICQ YIM
RainyCrystal wrote:
Brother Marvin Hinten, S. wrote:
And who says you're the one who has the inside scoop on what J&H was supposed to be?

As someone who understands music and musicals, as someone who's been a fan of Frank Wildhorn and his shows for a long time, as someone who's done some research on him and his works, and as someone who knows a bunch of people who've talked to and interviewed Frank Wildhorn more than once.

~Sissi

If you understand music and musicals, you'd know the viewpoint he was writing from. As a fan, that doesn't give you the right to generalize what you say as if it's the truth. So you've done research; apparently, it wasn't very good if you don't know what I do (and I haven't even listened to some of his stuff). Big deal, you know people who interviewed him -- that's still not direct contact with the man himself, and while I have not had that, I've read enough about him to know where he was coming from.

You're slipping Gibby.

You just accused her of something and did the same thing.

Get better.

Tue Nov 01, 2005 11:29 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: Many
Main Role: Fan
Well, she obviously has her answer wrong, Grubbsy. Wildhorn himself said on his new label's forum that they're laying down tracks for the new J&H CD with a JUDAS PRIEST guitarist. Shows how much she knew about what the show was supposed to be.

Thu Nov 03, 2005 12:40 pm
Profile ICQ YIM
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Well, she obviously has her answer wrong, Grubbsy. Wildhorn himself said on his new label's forum that they're laying down tracks for the new J&H CD with a JUDAS PRIEST guitarist. Shows how much she knew about what the show was supposed to be.

Now THIS sounds cool!

Andy.

JCS 2003 (Apostle/Swing)
IOLANTHE 2004 (Peer)
EVITA 2007 (Swing)
CANAJUN EH? (2007)
CHRISTMAS LOVE TRAIN (2007)

Thu Nov 03, 2005 9:02 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Hey Andy. Now we're both fans of JCS (and both members of JCSnet) but this show is fine just the way it is and making it a rock opera would just make it worse. There are other shows out besides Rock operas.

Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:52 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I understand that. I love most other forms of musical theatre.

J&H just had this whole "heavy metal/hair band" thing going through my head when I read the book.

Even reviews I've read have noted that songs were like "1980's power ballads." So, I want to hear synthesizers, drum machines and all the stuff I love about the '80's in these songs.

J&H can work if the amps are turned up to the 10, you know.

Andy.

JCS 2003 (Apostle/Swing)
IOLANTHE 2004 (Peer)
EVITA 2007 (Swing)
CANAJUN EH? (2007)

Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:47 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Go back and watch hasselhoff, he rushes the music, and is pitchy at times. Plus his acting in this is the moment is probably the worst thing i have ever seen.

Warlow was brilliant simply because this was just a concept and he created his own version without doing anything onstage.

Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:28 am
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Warlow had the best character and singing voice for both jekyll and hyde. I love the simple orchestrations on this one. very gothic, not typical full broadway, you know? No one has beat Warlow yet and he hasn't even performed it onstage! Rob Evan comes close but not close enough, followed by chuck wagner and t eric hart. (in english) Tom Bruckhart is pretty damn good.

-Family Guy's very sarcastic One Tree Hill bit

Sat Apr 28, 2007 12:02 am
Profile WWW
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Have you seen Hasselhoff's version of "Transformation" and "Confrontation"? Two of the most crucial, tragic, and dramatic moments in the play, yet thanks to his poor acting they are two of the campiest, most overdone, and overall worst scenes on the DVD.

I don't think I'll ever be able to forgive Hasselhoff for killing that show (it closed after a 4-year run shortly after he was cast. It had showed no signs of slowing down till then.)

Praise to xxstagekiss

Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:53 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

It's such a pity that you think that way.

Andy.

JCS 2003 (Apostle/Swing)
IOLANTHE 2004 (Peer)
EVITA 2007 (Swing)
CANAJUN EH? (2007)

Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:09 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Oh no, I feel that I am the one who should pity you

Praise to xxstagekiss