The Resource For Musicals

Into the Woods Forum

Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next
Rob Marshall to Ruin Another Musical, This Time... 
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Post Re: Rob Marshall to Ruin Another Musical, This Time...
Yes, and Desiree feels threatened by Anne's youth and is desperately insecure about her own age, just as Arkadina is with Nina. Mind you, of course they have differences, but they're incredibly similar in their functions within the text. They are desperately clinging to a man who is in love with a younger woman, not to mention the diva of the stage business. But all of this is besides the point.

And as far as Idina's voice, again, she's classically trained. Listen to See What I Wanna See. Her technique is pretty great, and she has a few legit moments within the score. It's a high time she uses more of her legit register. And her acting is fine. I think this could be an amazing vehicle for her!

And honestly, casting is its own universe. However, as far as real life examples are concerned, my sisters and I, though different genders, at least have the same coloring and similar statures. Morrison and Jackman couldn't be more unalike in either of those areas.

Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:47 am
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Quote:
Yes, and Desiree feels threatened by Anne's youth and is desperately insecure about her own age, just as Arkadina is with Nina . . . They are desperately clinging to a man who is in love with a younger woman

Not really, no. Anne is the one who feels threatened. Desiree herself is very secure. She’s not clingy or desperate at all. If that’s how CZJ played the character then her interpretation was completely wrong. I saw a video clip of her singing “You Must Meet My Wife” and it was terrible. She has zero comic timing.

Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:18 pm

No, that's actually how Bernadette played the role if I remember correctly. And it was perfect. And if anything, age is the one thing Anne IS secure about. She makes several remarks about Desiree looking ancient. She knows it's the one leg she has up on her. Furthermore, the entire scene proceeding "...My Wife" (as well as the song itself), is about the differences in age and Desiree's reaction to the fact (This is the page that's been written on etc). Also, Frederick's monologue at the end is in reference to how he loves Anne because of her age and how her youth makes him feel youthful. Then cues "Send in the Clowns". Therefore, how could Desiree's age not make her insecure and resentful? Anyways, totally irrelevant.

And for the record, the timing on "...My Wife" was NOT the fault of the actor, it was a choice in the arrangement and the disregard for the time signature as well as the written rhythms. If I remember correctly (this could be totally wrong), the song is in 6/8, and it's supposed to go very quickly, "Let me get my hat and my knife" directly into "What was that?", all spoken, not sung. Singing it lost it's timing. As for the rest of the song, she definitely has timing on the cast recording. And I remember thinking she was hysterical when I saw her both times. Sure, Bernadette was slightly funnier/goofier, but CZJ was great. Also, all the proof of her timing one needs is right in Chicago.

"I know...the first part's shittttt.." Genius. Pure genius.

Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:23 pm
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

The reason why Anne made those remarks were because she felt threatened by Desiree. She disliked Desiree immediately from the get-go because she knew that Fredrik considered her sexually inadequate in comparison. That was the primary source of tension between the two of them . . . Anne knew that her husband was having an affair with Desiree, which was why she constantly felt the need to cut her down.

Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:09 am

Current Obsession: Too many to list.
Main Role: Fan
I cannot beileve that I did not realize this sooner...The only reason Disney is even making this is just to cash in on those godawful fairytale retellings that Hollywood has been doing now....

MDN's Superlative Voting Winner:Most Likely To Make You Laugh

Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:58 pm
Profile WWW

Main Role: Performer
I think people are putting far too much emphasis on Disney's involvement in this and how that will be the death knell for the project.

I honestly don't think that's what you have to worry about. What you need to be concerned with is that Rob Marshall is the guy directing this. The guy got incredibly lucky with Chicago and then attempted to replicate it with Nine with very unfortunate results. Let us not forget that all he did with his installment of PoTC was copy and paste the other three films.

Face it, the man's a one trick pony.

Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:03 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: Many
Main Role: Fan
Rob Marshall should be strictly limited to choreography. Period.

Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:44 pm
Profile ICQ YIM

Current Obsession: Stephen Sondheim, Falsettos
What Patch said.

Chicago was a beautiful, brilliant fluke. I mean, I'll hold onto a tiny shred of optimism for this, but I won't hold my breath for a masterpiece or anything.

Also, I guess I'm glad I made the thread that gave the ITW subforum the most action its seen in months, LMAO. :-"

Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:55 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: Once, Chess, Company, Assassins
Main Role: Producer
With Amy Adams as the Baker's Wife in the Shakespeare in the Park production, she could be a step closer to land the role in the film!

http://playbill.com/news/article/161394-An-Enchanted-Choice-Oscar-Nominee-Amy-Adams-Will-Go-Into-the-Woods-This-Summer

Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:40 am
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

For all those of you who think Chicago was a fluke when it comes to Rob Marshall, here is why I think you're wrong. Rob Marshall's other films weren't as acclaimed as Chicago because their scripts weren't that good. However, they were very well made when it comes to film-making quality (cinematography, editing, sets, costumes, acting, etc.) This shows that he knows how to make films really well, but he needs better scripts like he did with Chicago. We all know that Into the Woods has a great script, so I think it is a reasonable possibility that he could turn it into another Chicago. Into the Woods will be very tricky to do as a movie, but I'm not worried if he's the one directing it. Look at the innovative ways he made Chicago work on the screen. If you ask me, if anyone can do Into the Woods successfully on film, he can. As for the Disney aspect, you guys shouldn't be so paranoid. These days, Disney doesn't interfere with filmmakers' creative license nearly as much as they used to. And when it comes to censoring the show, the only part I think they would consider censoring is the steamy scene with The Baker's Wife and Cinderella's Prince. Some could argue that the whole Any Moment/Moments in the Woods section of the show isn't really necessary when it comes to the overall storytelling. Others argue that it has too many good insights to lose. Personally, I could either take or lose that part either way without too much frustration. And if they do keep that scene in, maybe they could just tone it down so that he just kisses her a few times and then leaves (no rolling around on the ground or anything). I don't think it's a good idea for you guys to assume it's going to suck before it's even been made. Sometimes people can surprise you. Before The Dark Knight came out, some people didn't think Heath Ledger was the right choice for the Joker, but most people who saw that movie agree that he was great. I am a "wait and see" kind of guy. I'm not going to get my expectations up too high, otherwise I might be disappointed. I'm not going to keep my expectations too low either, because negative attitudes can often ruin what would otherwise be an enjoyable show. The best thing to expect is to not know what to expect. That way, you can just take it for what it is.

Thu May 31, 2012 2:24 pm

Current Obsession: Stephen Sondheim, Falsettos
Not sure I buy that. True, the script for Nine didn't do Marshall any favors, but he could have salvaged it better. His direction in it COMPLETELY lacked focus. I don't even think HE knew what the point was (the scriptwriter sure as hell didn't). Nine was kept alive (barely) by a handful of brilliant performances (read: Cotillard, Cruz, and Fergie's singing) but everything else was just a mess. If Marshall's considered a good filmmaker because the art direction, cinematography, and costumes are good? Lord help us, because now just about anyone's a good filmmaker. I truly believe he lucked out with Chicago. I'm not sure how, but something just worked. Since then, I don't think he knows what he's trying to do.

Still holding onto the single shred of optimism for ITW though! Bad filmmakers have made good movies, plenty of times! (Apollo 13 anyone?)

Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:58 pm

Judi Dench was hardly a mess in NINE. She was brilliant.

Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:50 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next