The Resource For Musicals

Into the Woods Forum

Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
Rob Marshall to Ruin Another Musical, This Time... 
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Post Re: Rob Marshall to Ruin Another Musical, This Time...
Well, putting in "Our Little World" is always an option. And possibly a new song for the Baker? He's the only principal that doesn't really have a solo. It could work! It just depends what Marshall has in mind I guess.

P.S. The more I watch this, the more I fiend to see her play the Baker's Wife. I think it could be brilliant. But I might be completely wrong haha.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubk5t33dNwo

EDIT: I don't know why I didn't think of it before, but Sara Ramirez would actually be a perfect candidate for The Baker's Wife. Thoughts?

Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:07 pm
Profile WWW
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Main Role: Performer
Jman383 wrote:
And possibly a new song for the Baker? He's the only principal that doesn't really have a solo.

Wouldn't you class 'No More' as filling that gap? Sure the MM has a few lines in the middle but it is undeniably The Baker's song.

Jman383 wrote:
I don't know why I didn't think of it before, but Sara Ramirez would actually be a perfect candidate for The Baker's Wife. Thoughts?

Oh my god! Yes! :clap:

Current roles: Emcee (Cabaret)
Upcoming: Auditioning for Les Miz

Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:42 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Quite possibly Catherine Zeta Jones will be in the running for Baker's Wife or the Witch. Anne Hathaway would be a great Cinderella.

I can't imagine it would be censored too much with James Lapine on board.

Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:06 am

Main Role: Performer
I'll just say this...at one point after ITW was first produced Jim Henson came to Sondheim and wanted to do a film adaptation. It got as far as Sondheim writing a few new songs for the project. Saddly it fell through.

Can you imagine what a Henson directed ITW might have been like?

Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:36 am

^^ Catherine Zeta has just done Rock of Ages, though. I think doing another musical movie so soon is total overkill. I doubt she'd ever even have an interest. Same goes for Hathaway. Besides, Hathaway's filming contract for Les Mis will probably be somewhat extensive, even if she is only in a half hour of the film. She might even be under contract not to do another movie musical until Les Mis debuts. And I think either Amy Adams or Kristen Bell would be perfect candidates anyways. But who knows!

Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:18 pm
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I suppose it's too much to hope for Hannah Waddingham as Cinderella's step-mother?

Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:38 am

Ugh, that would be stellar! And why not? Not everyone in the film has to be a name!

Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:12 pm
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Catherine Zeta Jones would never have the acting ability to play the Baker's Wife or the Witch. Look at how disastrous her last attempt at playing a Sondheim role was.

This is who they should cast:

Morgan Freeman as the Narrator
Ben Whishaw as the Baker
Jessica Chastain as the Baker's Wife
Paul Dano as Jack
Amy Adams as Cinderella
Evan Rachel Wood as the Witch
Hailee Steinfeld as Little Red Riding Hood
Hugh Jackman as Cinderella's Prince
Matthew Morrison as Rapunzel's Prince
Jim Broadbent as the Mysterious Man
Tim Curry as the Wolf
Susan Sarandon as the Stepmother
Megan Hilty as Florinda
Laura Bell Bundy as Lucinda
Judi Dench as the Giant
Pat Carroll as Granny

Honestly I don't think that Disney is the real problem here. Disney has produced well-crafted movie musicals in the past (think Beauty and the Beast). I just wish that they would get a more talented director than Rob Marshall. To my awareness, the quality of his work tends to range from appallingly bad (Memoirs of a Geisha, Nine) to acceptable (Chicago). I highly doubt that he would be imaginative enough to pull off Into the Woods.

And as brilliant as James Lapine is, I'm not sure if he has enough experience as a screenwriter to do a script that would translate well to film. Writing dialogue for movies is completely different from writing for the theatre . . . they should get William Goldman.

Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:07 pm

^^ First of all, did you even see CZJ in Night Music?? She was wonderful, sans Send in the Clowns. Believe me, I saw her twice. She was fantastic. She's classically trained. She treated the show as if it were Chekhov, which was brilliant, as Desiree is literally Arkadina from The Seagull. But anyways, she was stellar. So acting ability has nothing to do with it. She's one of the most competent and well trained actors in the business. Just wanted to throw that out there, despite the fact that I agree with her not being apart of the film....other than maybe as the Wicked stepmother. But even that's a stretch.

Secondly, Evan Rachel Wood as the Witch? You're aware that she's 24, yes? That alone makes her an illogical choice. And while I adore Jessica Chastain, think the world of her etc etc.... I doubt she has the voice. Furthermore, her upcoming role in The Heiress on Broadway will prohibit her from any film work during that year. But again, love her. It should just be Sara Ramirez. Hands down.

Also, I would either switch Morrison with James Marsden or switch Jackman with Gavin Creel. Jackman and Morrison couldn't be more dissimilar. But again, I'm being completely nitpicky.

Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:51 pm
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

CZJ's performance of the number was flat-out the worst thing I have ever seen on the Tony telecast. I don't care how seriously she took it. I find it hard to believe that she could've been a good Desiree if her delivery of "Send in the Clowns" was so poor, considering how that song is basically the lynchpin moment for the character. And if she were just having a bad night, that would be one thing, but I have never been impressed by any of her work, period. As Velma Kelly, she was passable but hardly Oscar-worthy (especially when there were brilliant actresses like Meryl Streep and Julianne Moore who were also nominated). To be perfectly honest, I think she's mostly running on looks. Nothing I've seen shows evidence of any real acting chops or range.

And for that matter, Desiree isn't supposed to be like Arkadina. Arkadina is an exceedingly vain, selfish, insecure woman and Desiree is anything but.

Evan Rachel Wood is a bit young, yes, but the Witch is supposed to transform back into a young, beautiful woman by the end of Act I, so it's not like the audience really has to see the aging. The most important thing is that she is a brilliant actress. Did you see her in Mildred Pierce? She'd be perfect as the Witch. She's a pretty good belter, too. I can't think of anyone else in Hollywood who would be able to both sing and act that part.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31rVmUuPErQ

As for Jessica Chastain, that particular role doesn't really require an amazing voice, and to my awareness, most Juilliard actors can sing to some capacity because it's part of their training. Or so I've heard. I don't think that her upcoming debut should conflict with filming schedules because lots of Broadway actors divide their time back and forth during runs. (Lily Rabe, for example, has taken increments of time off of "Seminar" to shoot in LA)

Furthermore, why is dissimilarity from scene partner a detraction? It seems like more of a good thing, actually, because Rapunzel's Prince shouldn't be exactly identical to Cinderella's. The two of them shouldn't be interchangeable. Besides, they would never cast Gavin Creel because he has virtually no film experience and doesn't really have much of a reputation outside of New York or West End.

Last edited by Mama Rose on Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:27 am

Well, because you didn't see the production, you wouldn't know. She really was wonderful. And prior to the Tony's, when she began Send in the Clowns, my friend and I looked at each other to say, "Wtf is she doing?" It was one of the most bizarre theatrical experiences I've ever had. And that is because she was so wonderful for the entire show until then. And her Velma was stellar also. She has the "it" factor. When she performs you can't take your eyes off of her, and she exudes not only sex appeal, but star quality. And she can belt her face off. But she's neither here nor there. We can just agree to disagree. I will say, however, it is very plausible that Desiree, like Arkadina, does start exactly in that way, but changes by the end. They're both famous actresses of that time period. It'd be difficult for them not to be self obsessed, especially when Desiree sleeps with a married man, regardless of their history. Sounds pretty selfish to me.

ANYWAYS, I'm sure Evan Rachel Wood is wonderful, but I'm just not fond of a young witch. I don't see it working. You need a DIVA in the role. It's the star slot. And though Menzel may not be a bonified star, the film could make her one...officially. But I would say out of the MT circuit, she's one of the more famous actresses. She was in two of the most famous Broadway musicals of the last fifteen years. And she's on one of the most successful television shows of the last five years. I'd say that's enough But that's just me.

And as for Jessica Chastain, normally I would agree, but when her name will be first billed on the marquee it will be insanely difficult for her to take months and months off for shooting. Granted, I suppose Idina Menzel did it for Wicked while shooting Rent, but the Baker's Wife is a much bigger role than Maureen, therefore, more shooting. But who knows. They could work it out!

And as for the princes, if they look nothing alike it would be difficult to conceive that they're brothers. Morrison and Jackman literally look nothing alike. And Creel was in those Eloise movies! I know, it's nothing much, but as Rapunzel's prince, who really needs a huge set of film credentials? It's a small enough part. No need for a star.

But I still say, Sara Ramirez and Idina Menzel are my picks for the Baker's Wife and Witch. Just my opinion. I'm sure none of the people being discussed will be cast. Hollywood never thinks.

Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:02 am
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Quote:
It'd be difficult for them not to be self obsessed, especially when Desiree sleeps with a married man, regardless of their history. Sounds pretty selfish to me.

Arkadina isn't merely self-obsessed, though. She has a really frail ego and feels threatened by her son's even attempting to break into theatre. Desiree is more bemused urbanity. And she definitely changes much more than Arkadina does.

Idina Menzel is a decent enough performer but I don't see her having the voice or the acting chops, either. The Witch is probably the most demanding vocal role in the show and Menzel has poor singing technique. Evan Rachel Wood, on the other hand, is a true diva in the making and has the kind of dramatic intensity and depth that the Witch needs. A role like that would be a perfect opportunity for her to become a first-tier star.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqFm8p4cOmk

I'm still not seeing why the Princes have to be similar. My sister and I look and act nothing alike.

Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:11 am
Reply to topic   [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next