The Resource For Musicals

Into the Woods Forum

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
Into the Woods college audition? 
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Main Role: Performer
Post Into the Woods college audition?
(I also put this in the audition board; feel free to delete this if it only goes there!)

Hi there! I'm Courtney, and I need a little bit of help. You guys were awesome in helping get the role of Reno in Anything Goes a few years ago, so I was hoping you could do it again. I'll be attending a new college in the fall as a junior, and they'll be putting on Into the Woods. I already know this show very well, as I was Jack's Mother in it in high school and absolutely loved it (I still have the script).

So here's the thing. I love this show a ton so obviously I'd take any role, but I'm shooting for either Little Red or The Witch. You're supposed to say who you're auditioning for, so I'm planning on saying the above. Normally I'd just be going after Little Red, but I thought I'd go for the Witch too since I wouldn't get another shot at it in 30 years because of my looks, whereas in a college production I could actually pull it off. XD

I need some help with songs! That's right, SONGS as in plural. My school's doing online auditions where you submit a YouTube video of yourself, as well as in person auditions. You're allowed to go to both if you want, which I'm planning on doing. Because of that, I'll need one song for Little Red and one song for The Witch. They didn't mention anything about accompaniment so I believe it's optional, and I think, at least in the YouTube auditions, that you can sing the whole song. They also said you could sing a song from the musical, but I think it's a good idea to do a different song just in case. I'm also not sure which song to use at which audition, so if you could give me any help with that...

I've been looking already at some Sondheim stuff, and the song "Everybody Loves Louis" from Sunday in the Park with George has stuck out to me the most. Rhythmically it seems rather challenging, and it's sounds in the right range for the Witch. I'm a bit worried that it shows off more of a Baker's Wife vibe though, since it's about her choosing between two guys (and one is a baker). For those of you who know the song, what do you think? And do you have any other suggestions? (I was also looking at "Move On" from the same musical, but it sounds like a duet so I'm not sure how that would work.)

As for Little Red... I've found from stuff for her but A. Most of it isn't Sondheim and B. I think some of it's overdone. But mainly I've been looking at "Schroder" and "My New Philosophy" from You're a Good Man Charlie Brown and "I Speak Six Languages" from Spelling Bee (but I'm a bit wary about using the latter since they put on Spelling Bee last year). I did see some Sondheim stuff (the main one being the title song from "Anyone Can Whistle", but they all either didn't seem very range-y or didn't fit her character. Any ideas?

Thanks to all of you so much for looking this over! Hopefully you guys can help get me another role!

ETA: I'm pretty sue I'm going to go with Louis for the Witch, but I'm still open to suggestions. :) I've been looking for some more Little Red songs, and I'm stuck between two right now: The Miller's Son and The Glamorous Life (movie version). Both are from A Little Night Music. I'm leaning towards Glamorous Life because it's more suited for her age, but the character Fredericka seems to have more of a legit voice than a character one, so I don't know. :\ Miller's Son also has more fast parts and tempo/timing changes, but I've also heard it being used for Baker's Wife and some of the older roles. So yeah, I'm pretty stuck. XD Thoughts?

Currently playing: Nothing at the moment
Last role played: Mrs. Ethel Chauvenet in "Harvey"
Auditioning for: "The Miss Firecracker Contest", "Spring Awakening", and "Always... Patsy Cline"

Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:12 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 1 post ]