The Resource For Musicals

Into the Woods Forum

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
Help for Production 
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post Help for Production
Ok, so a couple of my friends and I want to start a student run musical theater group next year so that we can do Into the Woods (since the official group has stated repeatedly they would never do it).
The problem is the length. Is there any way we can cut some stuff off without loosing too much of the plot? And I really don't want to go whole hog and do the Jr. version because the II act is really what makes the show.
But if we do do it entirely, then is the length ok? I think the other people interested are starting to freak about getting over how long it is (well over 2 hours).
And another question, did you have to warn people with small children about the II act? I just don't want to get any angry screamy parents.
So, so many questions...I really love this musical and want to do right by it.
Thanks to everyone who answers!

Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:08 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Post Re: Help for Production
If you "want to do right by it" then why would you want to cut it down? Not only are you not doing right by it bt it's also extremely illegal. And all that needs to be done about small children is to have for mature audiences printed in bold on all publicity material. Though honestly I would suggest going with a small and easy show for your first time out. You really don't seem to be too prepared to handle a show of such size depth.

Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:57 am
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: writing songs
Main Role: Performer
I agree with TheWitch on this. It sounds like you're enthusiastic about it, but otherwise don't know what you're getting into.

Check your resources. You'll need a director, an assistant director, stage director, stagehands, .....not to mention actors. And then there's building the set, lighting and sound, costumes....everything has to come from somewhere. You need to pay for royalties. It's illegal not to. Check the price on that because from what I gather, it's expensive. How are you gonna raise the money if it's a student run production?

If you're concerned about your audience reacting poorly, then do a different show. I'd say maybe something like The Fantasticks. You'll still have to get all your resources together, but it's a smaller show and more acceptable to audiences; plus it's a classic. Can't go wrong.

Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:27 pm
Profile YIM
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Current Obsession: Shaw
Main Role: Performer
TheWitch wrote:
If you "want to do right by it" then why would you want to cut it down? Not only are you not doing right by it bt it's also extremely illegal. And all that needs to be done about small children is to have for mature audiences printed in bold on all publicity material. Though honestly I would suggest going with a small and easy show for your first time out. You really don't seem to be too prepared to handle a show of such size depth.

I agree. Every word and note of a show defines it. When you cut things, not only is it disrespectful to the artists who wrote the piece. An "abridged" show is not the original show. Cutting even one song, "It Takes Two", for instance, would make your production not Into the Woods anymore. If it was okay for you to remove things, that would be stated in your licensing contract. If you don't want to do a show that's over two hours long, don't do a show that's over two hours long. Do something else.

Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:41 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]