The Resource For Musicals

Into the Woods Forum

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Problems with Into The Woods Junior. 
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Current Obsession: Falsettos (forever), Avenue Q, The Scottsboro Boys
Main Role: Performer
Post Problems with Into The Woods Junior.
I have seen 3 productions of Into the woods junior, one a elementary, one junior high, and one commuinity. When I saw the elementary version, most the actors and actresses just said the lines, no expression, just said them. The Narrator, was reading from a script, cinderella did not sing her song, she said it. The only good thing was Cinderrelas sisters and the stage design. The Witch was terrible! No one laughed at her jokes because she did not make them funny, she sang her one rap part like she was talking. They all looked like cats who had a light being shined on them. The middle school one was no exception. The community one was with a wide range of students, though the elementary and middle schoolers constantly made mistakes. These productions have made me hate the show.

Heres My Question. Why release a junior version if they all will end up terrible. It seems like every elementary, and middle school production just
makes me grind my teeth. As far as I see it, they should not be allowed to release this to schools with unexpierenced children performing this show. The show is better then that, it's a work of art that should be performed with quality. Not with......what I said.

Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:22 am
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

I think this is all really your fault for going to see an elementary school production of ITW in the first place. :D

As to why these companies release junior lisenced versions...it's mostly so productions with younger performers whose voices can't handle the music and who can't understand the underlying themes of the show. Granted, people like that shouldn't even be performing this show in the first place, but it's all the lisencing company can do to make money.

Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:51 am
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Current Obsession: Shaw
Some BWAYJR shows are actually okay. A good example is that of Fiddler on the Roof. However, Into The Woods JR is definitely not one of these. To me, ITWJR completely eliminates the message and meaning of the show. The entire second act is cut!

Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:56 am
Profile WWW
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

And I don't think a 10 year old could ever play The Witch.

Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:54 pm

Current Obsession: Shaw
And I don't think a 10 year old could ever play The Witch.

Broadway Junior editions are written for middle schoolers, not elementary schoolers. Middle schoolers range in age from 11-14.

Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:08 pm
Profile WWW

Main Role: Other...
ITW Jr made me want to see ITW when I saw it in fourth grade...but some of the acting for that was phenomenal, I thought...now, I wouldn't think so much because it was middle school, but it was one of the best shows my grade school did.

Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:05 pm
Profile WWW
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

I was in ItW Jr. last year. All of the cast was familiar with the full show (we watched the OBC DVD in class); I thought we did a pretty good job but everyone was disappointed about the omission of Act 2. Also, a lot of good jokes were cut.

I have a lot of mixed feelings about Jr. versions in general, especially this one.

Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:38 pm

It provides an opportunity for kids to have a real show experience. Would you rather sit through the second act of the show with an attempted clean-up from the teacher, or watch a one-act version of the show changed so kids can perform?

It's not Into the Woods, it's Into the Woods Jr. Different show. I understand the controversy behind it - ITW is a beautiful show with great messages. But the first act is wonderful for kids and families, so the Jr show included that much.

Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:31 pm

It provides an opportunity for kids to have a real show experience. Would you rather sit through the second act of the show with an attempted clean-up from the teacher, or watch a one-act version of the show changed so kids can perform?

I'd rather watch a show written to be performed by children. An adult play raped for the sake of making it performable by kids is what it is.

In my day, most elementary school classes that put on a play wrote the material themselves, guided by the teacher. It was a much more whole experience that way.

Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:08 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Luc wrote:

I'd rather watch a show written to be performed by children. An adult play raped for the sake of making it performable by kids is what it is.

In my day, most elementary school classes that put on a play wrote the material themselves, guided by the teacher. It was a much more whole experience that way.

Agreed. I actually did this and one of those plays was like ITW as it was faerie tales all mashed together and combined by the form of a Jolly Postman delivering letters. I was the lawyer for the Three Little Pigs against the Big Bad Wolf :)

Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:35 pm

Beagle On Stage wrote:
Luc wrote:

Agreed. I actually did this and one of those plays was like ITW as it was faerie tales all mashed together and combined by the form of a Jolly Postman delivering letters. I was the lawyer for the Three Little Pigs against the Big Bad Wolf :)

Whoa. I was just in a show exactly like that... Postman and everything.

Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:07 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Into The Woods is definitely not for children, if only Steve had made it a little darker.

Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:05 pm
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next