Into the Woods Forum

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Is there a role for me? 
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Current Obsession: American Idiot!
Main Role: Performer
Post Is there a role for me?
A community theatre is having auditions for Into the Woods in a month, and I don't know if I should audition. I've never done a show with this theatre (having just moved), but am assuming there will be a large turnout at auditions, because it is a relativley large theatre. I am not extremely familiar with this show, so don't know if there is a role for me.
I am 13, a natural blonde, with fair skin, and blue/green eyes. However, I am very petite, just shy of five feet tall, with delicate features. I am a mezzo soprano/soprano, and can belt. While my singing isn't amazing, it is pretty good, and I can definitely play a character that sings. I am a strong actor, and really like character roles. I tend to be cast as the "brat" (think Veruca Salt), but have been cast in softer roles, so my acting is flexible.
From what I know of the show, the only role people my age can be cast in is Little Red, am I correct? If I do audition, what song should I sing? (no monologue is required)
Thank you, any information is appreciated.

Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:36 am
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Little Red sounds pretty much perfect for you, but I think you could be considered for Florinda and Lucinda as well, although you are a bit on the young side for them but they are usually very over costumed and caked with lots of make-up so you could look old enough.

For songs, I would look into other characters similar to Little Red...it doesn't necessarily have to be another child role, but a role that has the same precocious and playful/bratty quality. I can't think of any specifics right now unfortunately, but it's an idea to work with. I think you should definitely audition though! Best of luck! :)

Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:50 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Thanks so much, it's good to know I would have more of a chance of being cast in the show, and not limited to only one role.

Veruca Salt-Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
Ensemble-The Music Man
Goose-Charlottes Web
Current Roles:
Duffy-Annie

Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:29 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

How awful would it be to sing Popular? The song is kind of similar to I Know Things Now... but I know it's very overdone. Unfortunatley it's the best idea I've had yet.

Veruca Salt-Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
Ensemble-The Music Man
Goose-Charlottes Web
Current Roles:
Duffy-Annie

Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:08 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: Overcoming illness
Stick to another Sondheim piece. Never use Popular for anything, especially for a show of this caliber. Maybe "Little Lamb" from Gypsy, even though it's technically only half-Sondheim.

Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:47 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: Bare, Next to Normal
Post Re:
SomeoneLikeYou wrote:
Stick to another Sondheim piece. Never use Popular for anything, especially for a show of this caliber. Maybe "Little Lamb" from Gypsy, even though it's technically only half-Sondheim.

I totally agree. Stick with another Sondheim piece. Never use a Wicked piece for an audition.

Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:11 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Current Obsession: 13,
Post Re: Is there a role for me?
I completely agree that you would be a great Little Red, I think you should sing something that you are comfortable singing and try to go with a character thats kinda bratty like she is. Maybe sing something Kristen Chenoweth, (but not Wicked). Maybe My new Philosophy form Your a good man Charlie Brown, or maybe something from Seussical. Something upbeat, fun, and with a little attitude, but still young and cute. Good luck. :)

]Recently: Edith- Pirates of Penzance
Penny- Hairspray

Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:40 am
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Current Obsession: NEXT TO NORMAL! Spring Awakening, Ragtime.
Post Re: Is there a role for me?
Little Red for sure.
Never use Wicked,....Ever. I'm sorry, but too overdone (same with half the stuff from Annie and "Part of Your World" Little Mermaid)
Just a warning, if you are using a sondheim audition be aware it might be difficult to sight read....
I suggest using something not Sondheim.
"Beyond My Wildest Dreams" From Little Mermaid has attitude and the whole 'I'm in a fairytale' thing.
It got me a Little Red callback!
Haha
Break a leg!!!

Adelaide- Guys and Dolls
Fauna-Disney's Sleeping Beauty
Jester- Once Upon a Materess
Babette- Disney's Beauty and the Beast
Mrs. Paroo- Music Man

Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:23 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]