Into the Woods Forum

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Our Little World 
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Current Obsession: Falsettos (forever), Avenue Q, The Scottsboro Boys
Main Role: Performer
Post Our Little World
I know there has been a topic on this already but here's another, the song was cut from my last production of into the woods, do you think it effects the show if it's cut? Is the song nessasary for the show? I think it should have stayed but the director said he didn't know it.

Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:49 pm
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Post Re: Our Little World
Please,Hello wrote:
I know there has been a topic on this already but here's another, the song was cut from my last production of into the woods, do you think it effects the show if it's cut? Is the song nessasary for the show? I think it should have stayed but the director said he didn't know it.

It is definitely not necessary for the show in my opinion. It's only an optional number in the MTI licensed script anyway so technically your director didn't cut it, he just chose not to do it. It wasn't in the original production to begin with. I think it's very weak in comparison to the rest of the score, and I personally will always have negative feelings associated with it due to the Rapunzel in my production who threatened to quit the show if it wasn't performed in the show (and my director wisely fired her instead). The song isn't really stating any information that isn't already given about the Witch and Rapunzel-it basically only explains further more that the Witch is clinging to Rapunzel while Rapunzel is longing to get out, which most people know from the original fairy tale to begin with.

Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:38 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Sorry, just another question about Our Little World. Do you know why Vanessa Williams sang it lower than what is written? I was listening to the song so it would become familiar and certainly got a surprise when I looked at the music! It's hard to keep the witchy sound when you are singing so high!

Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:23 pm
Profile ICQ

Current Obsession: Shaw
Post Re: Our Little World
Please,Hello wrote:

I haven't heard the song before, but a director not having a song in a show because they "don't know it" it probably the worst reason imaginable.

Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:00 pm
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: Mamie Parris
Sorry, just another question about Our Little World. Do you know why Vanessa Williams sang it lower than what is written? I was listening to the song so it would become familiar and certainly got a surprise when I looked at the music! It's hard to keep the witchy sound when you are singing so high!

Likely because it was out of her vocal range, I assume. Our Little World can be found on the original London Recording, and the Witch was played by an opera singer.

The Witch, Into the Woods

Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:03 pm
Profile YIM
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Our Little World can be found on the original London Recording, and the Witch was played by an opera singer.

I don't think Julia McKenzie usually is considered an opera singer?

And I like Our Little World a bit. But I'd rather see Second Midnight restored, if maybe slightly trimmed. It has a vital part of Children Will Listen, and without three midnights, there seems something is missing in a fairy tale context.

Formerly known as Dvarg

\"Hans usually knows his shitt when it comes to theatre.\" - Salome

\"You all are f***ing crazy, except Hans, who is actually quite smart\" - Jennyanydots

Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:52 pm

Current Obsession: Stephen Sondheim, Falsettos
I think the show works perfectly fine without "Our Little World." It's kind of like a sundae--it's fine as it is, but not many people complain about adding sprinkles.

I agree with Hans, though, I'd love to see "Second Midnight" restored. The crucial archetype of three is missing without it.

Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:02 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: Post-Modern Literature

You mean towards the end, its sung down an octave? All witches I have seen or performed with have sung it that way.

Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:53 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

No, in the beginning mainly. When the witch is just singing by herself. In my libretto it is written the octave up, and in the London and revival cast recordings, they both sing it down!

Sun Jul 11, 2010 4:10 pm
Profile ICQ

No, in the beginning mainly. When the witch is just singing by herself. In my libretto it is written the octave up, and in the London and revival cast recordings, they both sing it down!

It may be just a personal preference of the actresses' to sing it down. I also noticed when I did the show that there are a few parts of Jack's (particularly in the Act I and Act II openings) that are written an octave below from how Ben Wright sings them on the cast recording.

Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:09 am
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Ok thanks guys. Now I just need to convince the MD that it would be sung better down! I can sing it up, I'm a soprano, but the tone of my voice is too pretty sounding up there, I'd much rather keep it down to stick with the character.

Thanks for your help!

Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:20 pm
Profile ICQ
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: Post-Modern Literature
Ok thanks guys. Now I just need to convince the MD that it would be sung better down! I can sing it up, I'm a soprano, but the tone of my voice is too pretty sounding up there, I'd much rather keep it down to stick with the character.

Thanks for your help!

The beginning is also traditionally sung down the octave. I agree that its better the character.

Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:34 pm
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next