The Resource For Musicals

Into the Woods Forum

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
My review of Into the Woods 
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Post My review of Into the Woods
Like I had said before, I had heard through the grapevive that this particular production of Into the Woods was a concept production, but beyond that I was approaching it with a completely open and fresh mind. But to re-familiarize myself, I watched the Joanna Gleason DVD of the Original Broadway production. That was my first mistake right there, because upon reading the program, I quickly learned that this production would be using the 2002 revised libretto. So right away I knew that there would be changes made to the show that I was going to be unfamiliar with. And it was because I wasn't familiar with the revised book that it was hard to tell which changes were made by Lapine and which changes were made by the production team to better suit their performance space.

So you had the well-known changes, like two wolves singing "Hello Little Girl", which didn't really work, but it really played up the underlaying pedophelia aspect because the wolves pulled candy out of their coats, which was an interesting touch. But the major creative liberty that was taken that led to what I'm guessing was an illegal change was that the Narrator was telling the story to his two grandchildren who were in plain sight through the whole show. So naturally this made it impossible to have the other characters kill the Narrator in the Giant scene. So, they killed the Steward in his place and had the Stepmother kill Jack's Mother. This was a change that made sense within the limitations that the director had made for himself, but it made me feel very uneasy as I don't much care for illegal changes. As far as changes I liked, "Last Midnight" was sung as a lullaby to the Baker's baby. And getting back to the Giant scene, the actress doing the Giant's voice stood in front of a light fixture above the audience. So if you were sitting in the right spot, you could see her shadow on the stage, which was a neat effect and somewhat made up for the script revisions in the same scene.

So, despite the revisions that either worked or didn't (depending on the instance), it was quite an enjoyable production. Please let me know if there's anything you'd like explained further.

"...Apples is probably the one who's posted the most relevant musical stuff long term in the past few months."- UniquePerspective

Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:15 am
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Main Role: Other...

Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:17 pm
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

....wow.

Care to elaborate, Koza? :wink:

"...Apples is probably the one who's posted the most relevant musical stuff long term in the past few months."- UniquePerspective

Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:46 pm

Main Role: Other...
Two wolves ... the narrator telling the story to his grandchildren (that's an interesting concept) ... the Steward being killed ... .

etc.

Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:26 pm
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Post Re: My review of Into the Woods
I like the "Last Midnight" lullaby thing....

Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:44 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]