The Resource For Musicals

Into the Woods Forum

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Interpretations of the Narrator? 
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Post Interpretations of the Narrator?
What are some interpretations of the Narrator that you have seen/heard of?

What do you think would work particularly well?

Mon May 31, 2010 8:45 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:24 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: Post-Modern Literature
I LOVED the concept a community theater came up with. The narrator was grandfather reading to his child. A little Princess Bride over-done rip-offy, but the best part was that the entire musical took place in his room. Rapunzel lived up on the highest shelf.... etc..... I forget most of it. I was about 10 when I saw it.

But anyway, I usually prefer it when the narrator has a little edge or a bit of a dark side. A corrupted sense of humor, if you will....

Sun Jun 20, 2010 5:05 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: Overcoming illness
Main Role: Performer
I love the sound of that idea too, Tina, and I'm an ITW purist!

Tom Aldredge's performance can't be topped in the role, although John McMartin was one of the few really good things about the revival.

Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:10 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

I LOVED the concept a community theater came up with. The narrator was grandfather reading to his child. A little Princess Bride over-done rip-offy, but the best part was that the entire musical took place in his room. Rapunzel lived up on the highest shelf.... etc..... I forget most of it. I was about 10 when I saw it.

But anyway, I usually prefer it when the narrator has a little edge or a bit of a dark side. A corrupted sense of humor, if you will....

What happened to that poor kid when his grandfather was murdered?

Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:36 pm
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Current Obsession: punctuation
Main Role: Fan
I recently saw a production which took place in a Depression-era orphanage. The narrator was the headmaster, reading the story to the kids. Some of this production's concepts were really fascinating; not all of them worked.

The Very Angry Man has retired from musicals.net.

Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:39 pm
Profile WWW

I recently saw a production which took place in a Depression-era orphanage. The narrator was the headmaster, reading the story to the kids. Some of this production's concepts were really fascinating; not all of them worked.

That is an interesting concept. I would love to hear more about that production, if it isn't too much to ask.

Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:29 pm

Current Obsession: punctuation
Main Role: Fan
It was this one: http://www.dloc.org/season/2010/woods/details.php

Reading it, I thought, "Wow, this person has gone a bit far..." but it was really quite creative. We saw it a day or two after opening night, when the actor playing the Mysterious Man was injured during the show -- so for a few performances after that, the director played the Mysterious Man for Act 1, and the actor playing the Narrator played him for Act 2. (Not sure why the director couldn't do the entire show.)

I'm too brain-fried from work to write out a whole review, so just a few bullets...
    Some of the characters popped out of the walls -- squares were cut out behind kids' art that had been placed there
    Rapunzel's hair was partially made from paper rings
    During the title song, characters pulled down some of the sheets from the orphans' beds, revealing dark green and brown fabric with holes cut out of them
    When the baker's wife died, she fell into under the beds and the beds collapsed onto her
    The wolf wasn't in a full wolf costume -- he had furry ears, a tail, and furry boots -- and played the fiddle
    There was no Snow White or Sleeping Beauty
    Jack carried a real hen

The Very Angry Man has retired from musicals.net.

Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:41 pm
Profile WWW

I really love their poster. It looks like an intriguing production, can't say I love all the costumes and wigs though. I have to admit I'm a bit of a purist when it comes to Into the Woods, but I am not entirely opposed to concept productions. I just haven't really had the fortune of seeing any in my area. I remember I once saw a video on Youtube of a college production (It was a NY school-I can't remember which one) that was set in an attic, which was also an interesting concept, but for some reason Cinderella was chugging a bottle of vodka during On the Steps Of the Palace which I didn't quite understand.....

Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:34 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: Overcoming illness
What happened to that poor kid when his grandfather was murdered?

I thought of that too, actually, even though I liked the idea! lol

Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:02 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

We asked an English teacher at the school to play the Narrator orginally but he could't do it for some reason. He would have been brilliant though. He has a rather monotone speaking voice, a smug grin like he knew what was going to happen next, and he'd make a joke and you wouldn't even realize it until he finished speaking because he was just so witty.

So, we instead doubled the Mysterious Man part. He did it different, very animated, almost Disney-ish enthusium. When he was about to be sacrificed, he played it like he was talking to little children who didn't understand what they were doing. So convinced of a happy ending.

And I would LOVE to hear more about that production, Christina!

Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:50 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: Post-Modern Literature
I just emailed one of my friends that was involved in the production if she remembers more about how it all worked out. I'll let you know when I hear back!

Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:14 am
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next