The Resource For Musicals

Into the Woods Forum

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
Into the Woods Audition Help Needed ASAP 
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post Into the Woods Audition Help Needed ASAP
Hi,

I'm new to the forum, and I desperately need help. I'm auditioning for "Into the Woods" on Saturday, and I don't know if my monologue and audition song are appropriate for the role(s) I want.

I'm going for either the Witch (1st choice), the Baker's Wife, or Little Red. I'm singing "Poor Unfortunate Souls" (Ursula the Sea Witch's Song from "The Little Mermaid"), and I'm doing Olive's monologue from the female version of "The Odd Couple" (the monologue where Olive is chewing out Florence for all of the afflictions Florence has given her since they've shared an apartment).

Do you think these are appropriate? (Singing Sondheim at the audition is forbidden, so that's not an option.) If not, I'd appreciate any help/advice you can give me. Thanks!

Thu May 13, 2010 8:39 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

I might hesitate to use a Disney song for a Sondheim audition. I think your casting committee might regard Disney as immature while Sondheim, especially Into the Woods, is very mature. They might think that you "don't get it."

I know that's not much help, but it might be something you want to consider.

Fri May 14, 2010 8:12 am
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Main Role: Performer
I would take Vichysois advice into consideration, but the Witch in the production I was in of Into the Woods auditioned with "Poor Unfortunate Souls" and got the part, so that must count for something. Since the audition is tomorrow, just stick with what you have instead of changing songs at the last minute. I think you will be ok, as long as you sell the song.

Fri May 14, 2010 8:42 am
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Thanks for your advice. I picked "Poor Unfortunate Souls" because of the fun "characterness" of the song, but because of the fact that it is a "young" song, I picked a more "adult" monologue. Do you think that Olive's monologue from the female "The Odd Couple" is a good partner to "Poor Unfortunate Souls", or should I switch to a different monologue? If you think I should switch monologues, do you have any suggestions? I want either the Witch, the Baker's Wife, or Little Red. Thanks for all of your help!

Fri May 14, 2010 9:22 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]