The Resource For Musicals

Into the Woods Forum

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Casting the Baker's Wife 
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Post Casting the Baker's Wife
A middle-aged female friend of mine recently was cast as the Baker's Wife. She's attractive in her own way, but is by no means a knockout. I don't mean this as a criticism; I only bring it up because her physical looks are the reason that a friend of mine thinks this actress is unfit to play the role. "She'd make a terrible Baker's Wife!" my friend says. "The Baker's Wife has to be sexy!". So my questions to you are: 1) How important is physical beauty is casting the Baker's Wife, and 2) If you were directing ITW, what would you look for (if not beauty) in casting the pivotal role of the Baker's Wife?

"...Apples is probably the one who's posted the most relevant musical stuff long term in the past few months."- UniquePerspective

Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:04 pm
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Main Role: Fan
For me, the Baker's Wife should look average. I don't think she should look absolutly stunning or she won't look like a normal person in comparison to how the princesses of the story should look. One could make the argument she shouldn't be a dog either or the prince won't want to sleep with her. I can see that too, though he may just want to get it on reguardless of looks.

So I'd go somewhere inbetween. Very middle of the road and average.

http://bestpicturenoms.wordpress.com/

Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:09 pm
Profile WWW

Maybe your friend is confused and he is thinking of the witch? I think the witch should be pretty HAWT.

Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:25 pm
Profile WWW

Main Role: Stage Manager
The Baker's Wife should be just average, perhaps slightly attractive for the reasoning with the Prince. She shouldn't be amazingly beautiful though. And if you really pay attention to details, the Baker should be pretty young, so more than likely his wife would be young too.

Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:39 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Maybe your friend is confused and he is thinking of the witch? I think the witch should be pretty HAWT.

No, he doesn't think this actress would make a good Witch either, for the same reason.

"...Apples is probably the one who's posted the most relevant musical stuff long term in the past few months."- UniquePerspective

Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:52 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

She shouldn't be delicate, is the word I'm thinking of. You know, wraithlike and thin, Audrey Hepburn-faced. I always think of her as a taller, sometimes a curvier woman but always taller and stronger than a princess. But pretty enough for a prince to take a second look at.

Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:41 pm
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Current Obsession: NEXT TO NORMAL! Spring Awakening, Ragtime.
Main Role: Performer
Post Re: Casting the Baker's Wife
Yeah, I agree with all of these....Baker's Wife should Not be pretty in a glamourous way atleast, but still beautiful. Not like a movie star, but an above-average looking person. But it all depends on the director I suppose. Personally I think Cinderella should be beautiful, and Rapunzel should be innocently beautiful.
then again, a little make up can completely change the actor's look.
It all depends on the director.
Congrats to your friend!

Adelaide- Guys and Dolls
Fauna-Disney's Sleeping Beauty
Jester- Once Upon a Materess
Babette- Disney's Beauty and the Beast
Mrs. Paroo- Music Man

Sat Dec 25, 2010 8:24 pm
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Current Obsession: Billy Bigelow
Main Role: Director
Post Re: Casting the Baker's Wife
I think the Baker's Wife needs to provide a sharp contrast to Cinderella. Cinderella is a delicate, prim-and-proper beauty; the Baker's Wife, while she doesn't need to be conventionally pretty by any means, should have a sort of lusty worldliness that Cinderella lacks. With the Baker's Wife, it doesn't need to be as much about looks as it is about attitude, demeanor, in my opinion. :)

Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:45 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]