The Resource For Musicals

Into the Woods Forum

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
"For Mature Audiences" 
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Current Obsession: N2N, Hair,
Main Role: Performer
Jack would be an introvert who was unhealthily fond of animals.

That could be taken as far as bestiality, even, although hopefully not explicitly shown.

I think the wolf's costume and Little Red's song I Know Things Now imply sex, but they could be shown more, maybe? Like in shadows or something.

Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:12 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

I have always tampered with the idea of setting ITW in a mental institution, a la Marat/Sade, where the inmates are performing the show. Each character would have their own mental nuance (the Prince/Wolf would be a sex addict; Jack would be an introvert who was unhealthily fond of animals) I was thinking the Witch and the Mysterious Old Man/Narrator could be those running the institution, or maybe the giant, as she is one we never see. To go along with the Witch killing herself, maybe the other characters could murder her.

Not very well thought out, I realize, but it interests me. And obviously this take would be a little darker.

Interesting idea. I think if you developed it a bit more, it could be something really amazing. It's definitely something I'd love to see staged.

And honestly, after what was said a few posts back, now I want to see a production where the Witch hangs herself after "Last Midnight". I think it's a brilliant end for her--and definitely different--although I love the mysteriousness of whether she actually died or simply disappeared.

Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:46 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

jaspar0308 wrote:
I have always tampered with the idea of setting ITW in a mental institution, a la Marat/Sade, where the inmates are performing the show. Each character would have their own mental nuance (the Prince/Wolf would be a sex addict; Jack would be an introvert who was unhealthily fond of animals) I was thinking the Witch and the Mysterious Old Man/Narrator could be those running the institution, or maybe the giant, as she is one we never see. To go along with the Witch killing herself, maybe the other characters could murder her.

Not very well thought out, I realize, but it interests me. And obviously this take would be a little darker.

Interesting idea. I think if you developed it a bit more, it could be something really amazing. It's definitely something I'd love to see staged.

And honestly, after what was said a few posts back, now I want to see a production where the Witch hangs herself after "Last Midnight". I think it's a brilliant end for her--and definitely different--although I love the mysteriousness of whether she actually died or simply disappeared.

Well, it could be done rather similar to Chicago and when the song is over, there is just a hanging noose there, empty.

Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:53 am
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

A few years ago, I played Jack in ITW. We made the second act much darker than is the norm that I've seen. Firstly the show was almost in the round (the stage was keyhole shaped with a dense forest upstage and trees that flew in and out in the middle of the "playing area"). Scenes were played all around the theatre and the narrator was even planted in the audience a few times (He was not doubled with the old man. He actually was onstage for almost the whole show...until his death.) The first number was uber bright and saccharin and got darker when we went into the woods...lolz. Anyway, the Narrator sort of directed us (he was the director, too...genius) during the show, more than I've seen. I remember looking at him at some point during the first act and he pulled out a notebook, read a little, then nodded to me to continue. It was when I was selling the cow for the beans. That was the first turning point for my character (each character had a number of these...it's like where something visibly clicks in you're character's head) and I was directed to start losing some of the "over-acting" we did during the first act.

Okay...making a long story short. "Giants in the Sky" and "I Know Things Now" are both about sex and we played that up. Red literally looked like she was getting off during the song and I was touching myself while singing (not obnoxiously, but it was a subtle thing. Except we made Jack bisexual and scared of having sex with the male giant which is why he ran...that was not so subtle.). I spent most of the first act growing up, and was one of the first characters to drop the happy, fairy tale acting. Other things from the first act: During "Stay With Me" The Witch literally tore the clothes off of Rapunzel in desperation, it was heart breaking. "Hello, Little Girl" was basically rape in the casts eyes, but the audience responded to it positively. "Agony" was all thrusting to the audience (our Princes were HOT!)

The second act was insane. I personally had about 8 different variations on my second act costume (which included 3 different corsets...don't ask...but you can if you want). I remember having to change whenever I left the stage. Our costumes became more tattered as the act went on and we got dirtier, too. "Agony" was much raunchier than in the first act. After the Prince and Baker's Wife go at it, they came out of the dense forest putting their clothes back on during the short scene and song that follows. Her death (as was Rapunzel's and the Narrator's, who had one of his body parts thrown back on to the stage) was pretty gruesome, at least aurally. It was done in our dense forest and she screamed when she realized she was in harms way and then fell part way out of the forest. The Giant stepped on her lower half which cut off her scream and killed her. THE AUDIENCE SAW HER DIE. And I was running around in the forest right before and "entered" after she died. I picked her up and walk her across the stage. Heartbreaking. (Oh yeah, I was running around a lot during the second act...the audience was supposed to sort of hate me.) During "The Last Midnight" it rained on the Witch who stood center stage and did the song "Rose's Turn" style. Then, she disappeared in what I can honestly say is the quickest I've ever seen in anything. (You also thought she was going to kill the baby, but I took him from her during the song...that was my redemption for bringing the wrath on everyone.) "Your Fault" became a fist fight where I got hit by the Baker, Cindy and Red (though I was supposed to like Red hitting me...S&M baby). And when the Giant died, she fell in the forest and you saw glimpses of her head through trees. You also could see me stab her through the head a few times. Also only three people actually killed anyone during the show. The Steward (when he killed Jack's mother, it was very violent), The Giant and Jack. We made it a point to actually show me killing the Giant so I took all of the blame and not any of the other characters.

Okay this post is, too long, but we did a lot of stuff that made us actually rate it PG-13 and later just say it was for mature audiences. All of our promotional material was bright and happy with just and edge to it. I was in a classic heroes pose standing in a pool of blood. Red looked all innocent and in the background you saw Granny and the Baker skinning the wolf...and so on...

This post was, too long...lolz

Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:23 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: Post-Modern Literature
No, your post wasn't too long, drunkenlush. This is really the kind of stuff MdN ought to be.
I imagine that some of the things you described would have been really expensive! What kind of company was this with? I would have loved to have seen it!

Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:59 pm
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Current Obsession: NEXT TO NORMAL! Spring Awakening, Ragtime.
Post Re: "For Mature Audiences"
Wow....These are such great ideas. :D
Something I'd like: Witch decides that really her only way out is suicide so it's clear to the audience that she's dead. I don't know how, but some way that it's very very clear.

The show is already very dark (not completely "mature").
If you take the time to really think about it, there are ways to make it much deeper even. I like the idea of the clothes getting more tattered and dirty as Act II goes on. Lighting design as well. I think the biggest though, is which moments to make more comical. Directors avoid doing parts of this show honestly, because it would become too honest for the audience. Doing a completely real interpretation would be AMAZING!

Most productions take "Any Moment" as a joke, one of three reasons 1)They think it's best to be taken funny 2)The show needs "comical relief" 3)If it wasn't funny, then It would end up too dirty.Not for sure doing it this way, but atleast trying it- Any Moment completely seriously. Like, completely. Everything's comical, but because of that, you don't feel realistic heartbreak with the Baker's Wife.
If I ever directed a production of ITW (which, I would LOVE to, but hey, who knows) I'd make "Agony" very very innuendo-ish. Same with "Hello Little Girl".
I think that even though he's royalty, Cinderella's Prince could be played much sleazier (spelling?) in act II.
I'd like to see more pure love and affection from the Baker and more "sleazy" love from Baker's Wife. If that makes sense.

Adelaide- Guys and Dolls
Fauna-Disney's Sleeping Beauty
Jester- Once Upon a Materess
Babette- Disney's Beauty and the Beast
Mrs. Paroo- Music Man

Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:48 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Kind of on a tangent, but my daughter, just turned 6, loves ITW. Now, I haven't taken her to a really dark production, and of course, the sexual innuendo goes well over her head, but we've had conversations about what act two means, and why these things are happening, and she quite enjoys the music. The characters are familiar and interesting, there's a lot going on, and the quest-type nature of the story CAN be very appealing to the right kind of kid. Even act two.

Then again, we go to a LOT of shows ... 20 a year or so ... so she's very used to live theater.

Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:53 pm
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Current Obsession: NEXT TO NORMAL! Spring Awakening, Ragtime.
[quote][/quote] "The second act was insane. I personally had about 8 different variations on my second act costume (which included 3 different corsets...don't ask...but you can if you want)." -Drunkenlush

You were Jack, right?..I'm curious, why were you wearing 3 different corsets?O_o haha!

Adelaide- Guys and Dolls
Fauna-Disney's Sleeping Beauty
Jester- Once Upon a Materess
Babette- Disney's Beauty and the Beast
Mrs. Paroo- Music Man

Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:14 pm
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2