The Resource For Musicals

Into the Woods Forum

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
"For Mature Audiences" 
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Post "For Mature Audiences"
About a year ago I remember stumbling upon a poster (some where online) for ITW with a note saying "For Mature Audiences". Now I don't know why but it just popped into my head and thought it would be a fun topic to discuss. What do you all think of a production geared just towards adults? And, of course, I realize that the adult themes are already there with all the goings on in Act II and with Little Red and the Wolf and so on. But how would you see a more mature version being executed? I think it would be great fun doing a production like this. With a director and cast who could handle it, that is.

Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:02 am
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Main Role: Other...
I think it's "mature audiences" because of what happens - ie. all the killings and such so little kids aren't taken because it's the fairy tales.

Just my take...I remember when I went to go see Beauty and the Beast National Tour when I was 10 and there was an ad for Into the Woods. I realy wanted to see it but my mom was like "you know it's darker than ITW, Jr" (which I saw and loved in fourth grade). And I was like 'really?" and she was like "yeah..." so she didn't let me see it then. I did see it though eventually :) And the production I saw had little kids at it (4 year olds) and I was like 'wow...'

Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:53 am
Profile WWW
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Perhaps I didn't make myself clear. I'm talking about beyond what we already know of the show. Like I had said: Yes the adult themes are already there. Though, whether or not you agree with it, this show is mostly done by and geared towards kids. And my question was: What if a production was staged COMPLETELY for adult audiences. Even going as far as featuring nudity. And not just from the Wolf. And what about more graphic depictions of violence? For example I had a friend once tell me that if she ever directed it, she would want to have the Witch hang herself at the end of Last Midnight. Think about it along those lines.

Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:30 pm
Profile WWW
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Seriously? I think it's a huge misconception that this show is primarily "done by" and geared for kids. I'll concede "done by", because the vast majority of shows produced today are done by schools and childrens' theater. But if you're talking about legitimate professional, regional or even adult community theater, I do not think anybody produces this show for a target audience of children.

This is not a show for kids in any sense, and I think adult productions of the show use the "mature audiences" warning to advise theater-goers who are unfamiliar with the show that the fairytale themes do not equal an enjoyable experience for a child. I think the primary issue is that this show is really boring for children who were introduced to musical theater by 'Beauty and the Beast' or even 'Annie' or 'Anything Goes.' The music is complex and repetitive, the story embedded in sophisticated lyrics, and the show itself is very long.

Anyway, I get that this isn't your question. You want to know what people would do to make it MORE adult. I did see one production where the wolf had a visible phallus as part of his costume, and the rescue scene with the baker cutting the wolf open boarded on appearing to be rape. That was pretty darn mature.

Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:43 pm

Main Role: Other...
Oops, sorry, I read that question at 8:53 am, and was dead tired (Only had woken up ten minutes prior and was in a hurry to go to class...).

Anyways, I think there should be different things for adults, too, but I did hear in a college production of "Into the Woods" I think someone was nude...I forgot who.

Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:36 pm
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: Post-Modern Literature
Well as we know, most fairytales WERE all about sex.

We could add in things, like seeing the twins and the baker's son being concieved, more sexual dialogue between the couples, etc....

But if we couldn't change any dialogue, having the cave scene be... just more... you know, sexual tension between all the couples, nude witch and wolf, cinderella's father being more predominately drunk and with labeled bottles. Ooooo and the little red/ jack scene could be made much more sexual. Nudity could also be put in sooo many places... Moments in the woods, when the people come out of the wolf's stomach, Rapunzel in general (since she is always alone, why would she wear clothes.)

It would be a fun show.
Good topic.

Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:26 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I'd love this idea. Obviously it would have to be done someplace where it could be gotten away with so parents won't be bringing thier little brats along to the theatre...

Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:52 pm

Current Obsession: Shaw
Main Role: Performer
This would really be up to the artistic interpretation, as it's illegal to add/remove/change anything written in the script. The show is pretty dark though in itself. I can see where the "for mature audiences" thing was coming from.

Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:08 am
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: Many
Main Role: Fan
Everything described (aside from the Witch hanging herself) deals with a director's choice and would not be adding anything to the script that isn't already there, so not a problem.

Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:18 am
Profile ICQ YIM
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Well as we know, most fairytales WERE all about sex.

We could add in things, like seeing the twins and the baker's son being concieved, more sexual dialogue between the couples, etc....

But if we couldn't change any dialogue, having the cave scene be... just more... you know, sexual tension between all the couples, nude witch and wolf, cinderella's father being more predominately drunk and with labeled bottles. Ooooo and the little red/ jack scene could be made much more sexual. Nudity could also be put in sooo many places... Moments in the woods, when the people come out of the wolf's stomach, Rapunzel in general (since she is always alone, why would she wear clothes.)

It would be a fun show.
Good topic.

And in the orignal Red Riding Hood tale, the Wolf had her undress and get in bed, Rapunzel's premartial pregnancy could be shown...

I really, really want to see the Witch hang herself at the end of Last Midnight now.

Sat Oct 10, 2009 3:15 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: Overcoming illness
Main Role: Performer
At the risk of being a total Sir Points-out-the-obvious-elot, "Any Moment" and the next scene between them two lustbirds could be staged ridiculously explicitly. lol

Sat Oct 10, 2009 6:12 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

I have always tampered with the idea of setting ITW in a mental institution, a la Marat/Sade, where the inmates are performing the show. Each character would have their own mental nuance (the Prince/Wolf would be a sex addict; Jack would be an introvert who was unhealthily fond of animals) I was thinking the Witch and the Mysterious Old Man/Narrator could be those running the institution, or maybe the giant, as she is one we never see. To go along with the Witch killing herself, maybe the other characters could murder her.

Not very well thought out, I realize, but it interests me. And obviously this take would be a little darker.

*Just Finished:
- Stage Managing Hearts

"Art is the imitation of life. Drama is the interruption of it."

Sat Oct 10, 2009 6:45 pm
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next