The Resource For Musicals

Into the Woods Forum

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
Into the Woods Chorus 
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Post Into the Woods Chorus
The production of Into the Woods I was in added a chorus. We made it look like other villagers were going into the woods. The chorus was onstage for the song Into the Woods, First Midnight, Ever After, the end of the Act II Prologue, the scene where we first meet the giant, the end of Your Fault and Last Midnight, No One is Alone, and Children Will Listen/Act II Finale. I think the chorus people enjoyed doing it even though they didn't have any spoken lines. I personally thought it was a bit much to have the villagers come in at the end of Your Fault and listen to the witch during Last Midnight. Other than that part, I think we handled the added chorus very well. I also think that having the whole company sing No One is Alone made the song seem even more powerful. Has anyone else done a production of Into the Woods where they added a chorus rather than just use the characters in the script?

Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:39 am
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Current Obsession: Too many to list.
Main Role: Fan
I hope that never happens to me when I do Into The Woods later in my life. A Chorus is just not necessary in a chamber musical like Into The Woods.

MDN's Superlative Voting Winner:Most Likely To Make You Laugh

Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:26 pm
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: Post-Modern Literature
If it was for a school or a smaller community I understand. They want to get more people involved. And its not like the people coming to see these shows are looking for brilliant theater or anything.
If I were to see this in a semi-pro show, I owuld be disappointed. Its definitely not needed, and annoying in that setting.

But I would rather get more people involved and interesting in something as great as Into the Woods than try to make high school theater perfect quality.

Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:48 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post into the woods
in our production we have a cast of over 50. we have the main principle roles then everyone else are trees..our director has created these sort of physical theatre moments which i think work well as the stage we'll be performing on is huge :) the trees have also been added into alot of the songs, and particaly children will listen and into the woods sound alot more powerful with a large amount of voices. the shows in seven weeks and i can't wait!! :)

Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:38 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]