The Resource For Musicals

Into the Woods Forum

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Kansas City version 
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Main Role: Performer
Just for the record, the MTI libretto of Into the Woods offers the Two Wolf Hello Little Girl, Our Little World, the Alternate On the Steps of the Palace, and the alternate Last Midnight (basically all the changes from the last revival) as optional material. So MTI is giving the option of mixing and matching, it is up to the director to decide what version he wants to use.

So technically, aside from giving the last "I wish" to the little boy (which I think is a poor choice), they aren't breaking any rules.

Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:10 pm

Current Obsession: Musicals!
Post INTO THE WOODS at Musical Cyberspace
Come and read all about the KC Rep production of INTO THE WOODS at Musical Cyberspace - the better resource for musicals.

Last edited by RainbowJude on Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:19 pm
Profile WWW
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Ok, here's what I should have written then:

I saw this last weekend. I enjoyed it.

The end.

--Scott

Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:31 am

Did anyone else see that child get flown in out of nowhere to sing the final "I Wish?"
#-o

Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:36 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: Post-Modern Literature
Post Re: A case of artistic kleptomania, perhaps?
scottinkc wrote:
RainbowJude wrote:
I don't get the hype about this production. I don't think it looks at all as unconventional as the marketing makes it seem and, in fact, it looks pretty much like business as usual for Into the Woods, although there are some pretty costumes and an attractive stage design. But... so what? Pretty costumes and attractive stage designs are a pound a penny; interesting, original and consistently engaging concept in most commercial musical theatre productions these days are not.

I think it looks derivative, particularly of the RSC production of A Midsummer Night's Dream, which also involved a little boy in pajamas observing the action of the play with a "Puck-ish" narrator. And the wolf looks like Wolverine. How trendy; I wonder where that idea originated? And what's happened to this wonderful new concept that opens the show by the end of it all? There seems to be no evidence of it in the video clip.

I'm afraid it all looks oh so drama school to me. Thanks, Mr Kaufman for all the effort, but... meh...

Later days
David

I think that you're blowing this into a bigger deal than it need be. Granted, the Rep might be blowing this into a bigger deal also, but that's beside the point. The little boy appears at the beginning and the end of each act, and I think a couple of times during the acts (I remember he and the narrator steal the cow). He never says anything until the very end, when he says "I wish". It was neither ground breaking nor distracting, simply a way to set the mood. It was fine.

Likewise the wolf was supposed to look like Wolverine. So what? The audience chuckled for a second and then the scene went on. It was neither ground breaking nor distracting, simply a little joke. It was fine.

Overall, Little Red and the Witch (who reminded me of Billy Crystal's old crone of a wife from Princess Bride) were the two standouts in the show. Cinderella had a beautiful voice, but was kind of lethargic acting. Jack was the opposite, good and energetic acting, but rather lackluster vocally. The two princes played well off of each other, but not great individually. The rest of the cast was decent, but not outstanding.

All IMHO, of course.

First off, no one was making anything into a big deal.

And, yeah, so the wolverine lookalike wasn't distracting, but what did it add? It seems pointless, and like they added a joke just to add a joke.

Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:44 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post GET YOUR PLANE TICKETS...
This show is amazing! Easily topping The Lion King, In the Heights, Legally Blonde, Curtains, and Wicked.

Granted I have never seen "Into the Woods" prior to seeing this show on Thursday morning. I had never even picked up the CD, so I can't really compare it to anything.

The whole story line of the little boy sounds like it's the biggest change in Kaufman's version. The show starts in the little boys bedroom. His father picks out a book from the armoire and shuts the doors. He opens the book and says "Once upon a time." The narrator comes up out of the floor (more like "flying" out of the floor" and begins singing. Almost all the characters then enter through the boy's bedroom. Through the armoire, under the bed, etc. The room then sinks into the stage about half way through the first song. And the entire stage is the little boys bedroom about 3 or 4 times human size. The things most intresting to myself was the toys laying around the room then became larger versions used in the story. (ie. Cinderella's coach.)

The acting was incredible, likewise the singing.

One of the things mentioned in some of the reviews was the professionalism. These actors and crew did not miss ANYTHING. This show could have not been more on cue. It was worth seeing for that reason alone.

A couple extra things were added here and there, the witch rapped a line in the first song (something the audience full of teenagers who I saw it with really enjoyed.) After the giant was killed in the 2nd act, the little boy rolled a giant (very lifelike) eyeball across the stage. Cute, but a little creepy.

Also the flying of the little boy at the end was a sort of magical way to end the show. He was so precious. And the finale pose with him in the air was neat.

Overall...better than any of the reviews. If you have some money to spend...get there. =D> =D>

Sat Oct 03, 2009 8:19 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: Post-Modern Literature
Post Re: GET YOUR PLANE TICKETS...
actorgeek07 wrote:
This show is amazing! Easily topping The Lion King, In the Heights, Legally Blonde, Curtains, and Wicked.

REALLY?

Also, the witch is supposed to rap.

Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:00 am
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

It will definately be one of my top favorites.

On the 2002 revival cast recording the witch didn't rap.

Sat Oct 03, 2009 2:07 pm
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2