The Resource For Musicals

Into the Woods Forum

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Pop culture ITW?? 
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

WHAT THE HECK IS YOUR DIRECTOR THINKING!!!!!!!??????

Into the Woods is one of the greatest musicals this world has ever seen...changing it is completely unnecessary! I don't understand why your director, or any director, would want to change a show for the worse.

Like...I've heard of people making some pretty crazy changes to the show before. But. This is literally the worst interpretation of Sondheim's masterpiece that I have ever heard! :( :( :(

Yuck.

Sat Sep 12, 2009 11:40 am
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Main Role: Fan
^^Have you seen anything else of Sondheim's? I'm not arguing that it's your favorite (it's one of mine too) or trying to take away from the show's beauty and all, but it's hardly his masterpiece.

http://bestpicturenoms.wordpress.com/

Sat Sep 19, 2009 6:42 am
Profile WWW
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Current Obsession: Falsettos (forever), Avenue Q, The Scottsboro Boys
Main Role: Performer
I'm still wondering how easy it was for him to just jot down these great songs. Pacific Overtures, that must have been hard....

Sat Sep 19, 2009 7:15 am
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Post Re: Pop culture ITW??
gamerboy255 wrote:
Our school's director recently decided to do a pop culture version of Into the Woods. She said she has seen it before but, I've NEVER heard of it. We are doing two shows the first is the traditional version, the version I'm the Baker in. The other is the pop version. She double casted pretty much every part except the witch and the princes. I think the only reason we are doing the pop version is because we had an over 50 cast and she didn't want upset kids and parents because there isn't any company in the show. Every student has a part. Well anyway, every character will be a pop icon. For example, the princes will be Elvis and Michael Jackson. She said the whole point was to deepen the theme of generations affecting each other. To me, it just takes away the integrity and meaning of the characters. It's not even fair to the students in it. Instead of being in 10 shows, we are only in 5. There are only about 5 people in both shows. That's not fair to the people not in both. There will be TONS of drama too. I know that one show will become our director's favorite over the other and there will be competition between everyone. Has anyone heard of a pop culture Into the Woods before?

I haven't read through the board here in a while - but PLEASE let us know how this went over with the school. How the pop culture cast has let the costume design effect their characters - etc...

Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:21 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Why is it that it seems modern ITW's are popping up everywhere? There is another thread here about another modernized one.

A few of the characters

Little Red: Betty Boop

Baker's Wife: June Cleaver

Cinderella: Princess Diana

Witch: Wicked Witch of the West as ugly, Madonna as pretty

So far, rehearsals are going fine with no different characterization for the pop cast. Really, there hasn't been any difference AT ALL between the two. We are learning blocking and lines together. So, it will probably just be costumes and sets that are different in the end. Rehearsals are actually going great so far. The set will be modernized with a city theme. Cinderella's mother's tree is staying the same but instead of a forest, it will be in a park with trash around it. Rapunzel's tower is turning into a mini golf tower in the pop. I think with the character choices, she basically saw only a few scenes with the pop icons and didn't really think it through. Betty Boop is supposed to be a sexual little red, June Cleaver because she saw her going into the woods all pretty and then, coming out all tattered and torn. I bet that half of this will change, just based on how our director is. We have light rehearsals for weeks then, two weeks of being at school until 11 each night before we open. We always seem to pull it together in the end. I'm pretty sure this will be the same way.

Previously:
Baker- Into the Woods
Enjolras-Les Miserables
Agwe-Once on This Island
Mr.Bundles/tap dancer-Annie
Company-Chicago
"I play the cello"- High School Musical

Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:04 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post Update
Opening Night for both casts went well. Pop culture, much to my suprise, went extremely well. They stuck to their characterization FANTASTICALLY, and the audience completely loved it. Classic was Fantastic as well, we have two more shows in a couple hours, and about seven to go. Will update again later.

Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:13 am
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Much to my surprise, it actually went really well. The audience ate up all of the pop icons. Our director said the theme of the pop culture into the woods was that celebrities actually get into tough situations like the Into the Woods characters. It was kinda over the audiences head though. They were to busy laughing at Elvis and Michale Jackson singing Agony to fully understand the concept. I think you would have to know the show, which most people outside of musical theater don't, to fully understand the concept. The classic version went EXTREMELY well.

Previously:
Baker- Into the Woods
Enjolras-Les Miserables
Agwe-Once on This Island
Company-Chicago

Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:39 am
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:27 pm
Profile WWW
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

http://hsproweb.hsphoto.com/SC/index.cf ... 264955BDEF

There are the galleries for both the pop culture and the classic version. As well as our production of Les Mis.

Previously:
Baker- Into the Woods
Enjolras-Les Miserables
Agwe-Once on This Island
Company-Chicago

Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:09 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: Post-Modern Literature
http://hsproweb.hsphoto.com/SC/index.cfm?fuseaction=EventGroupsListEvents&dep=3&pg=0&vid=555&fn=EzellsStudios&egid=28588&CFID=1703&CFTOKEN=8BF801DD-D249-1009-41FC5A0E56370739&rand=63588B40-1790-1476-2134D8264955BDEF

There are the galleries for both the pop culture and the classic version. As well as our production of Les Mis.

Okay... so I really tried to keep an open mind with this... and let me just say I love the June Cleaver thing, and the Pink Ladies, and Princess Di works pretty well too but WHAT is with Whoopi Goldberg? Charlie Brown? Tina Turner Rapunzel? Ketcup and Mustard?

Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:36 pm

Current Obsession: Shaw
Main Role: Performer
This idea is all kinds of illegal. I'd say no.

Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:58 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2