The Resource For Musicals

Into the Woods Forum

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Pop culture ITW?? 
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post Pop culture ITW??
Our school's director recently decided to do a pop culture version of Into the Woods. She said she has seen it before but, I've NEVER heard of it. We are doing two shows the first is the traditional version, the version I'm the Baker in. The other is the pop version. She double casted pretty much every part except the witch and the princes. I think the only reason we are doing the pop version is because we had an over 50 cast and she didn't want upset kids and parents because there isn't any company in the show. Every student has a part. Well anyway, every character will be a pop icon. For example, the princes will be Elvis and Michael Jackson. She said the whole point was to deepen the theme of generations affecting each other. To me, it just takes away the integrity and meaning of the characters. It's not even fair to the students in it. Instead of being in 10 shows, we are only in 5. There are only about 5 people in both shows. That's not fair to the people not in both. There will be TONS of drama too. I know that one show will become our director's favorite over the other and there will be competition between everyone. Has anyone heard of a pop culture Into the Woods before?

Last edited by gamerboy255 on Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sun Aug 23, 2009 3:57 pm
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Current Obsession: punctuation
Main Role: Fan
No, and that sounds like crap. And possibly illegal.

The Very Angry Man has retired from musicals.net.

Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:03 pm
Profile WWW

Current Obsession: Too many to list.
No! No! no no no no no no no no no no NO! I hope someone reports this director, fine him/her, and never ever be allowed to direct again!

MDN's Superlative Voting Winner:Most Likely To Make You Laugh

Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:58 pm
Profile WWW
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Elvis and Michael Jackson singing "Agony" to each other??? Really???

Sun Aug 23, 2009 5:14 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

It wouldn't be illegal. All we would do is have the characters dress like them. We wouldn't change the script or libretto. She's an amazing director usually. Our production of Les Mis was absolutely beautiful. I think she just made a bad directing decision this time. I think that we could either pull it off and it will be amazing or, it could look really amateur.

Sun Aug 23, 2009 5:39 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Main Role: Performer
I'd suggest talking to her about it - if she wanted to do a show for 50+ kids, she shouldn't have done Into the Woods. Plus her little idea just sounds wrong. And yes, it is unfair to those who aren't double-casted, and no, it will not end well, I can guarantee.

Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:23 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: next to normal
This is pretty hilarious, please let us know what happens..

Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:39 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Honestly, I think this will turn out well, we have altered rehearsal and tech schedules to account for this, and allow more rehearsal time, and so that we will have sets done before main rehearsals begin. The main change is going to be sets and costumes, both of which are going to be easy for us, the tech crew already has our plans, which are amazing, and costume designers should have no problem seeing as there is no company. Now, to all those who say the director should be fined, sued, fired, or whatever... honestly? If you were in charge, then most directors would be fined, poor, and fired... technically, any modification to a show from MTI's provided resources, including censoring, is a breach of contract. Whose director hasn't changed a word or two, removed scenes too risque for a school, or changed the sex of a character. Tell me that...

Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:44 pm

Current Obsession: punctuation
It wouldn't be illegal. All we would do is have the characters dress like them. We wouldn't change the script or libretto.

That's not necessarily enough to stay within your contract, though. You can still make drastic changes to the original intent of the piece and leave every word intact, and still get in trouble. There was that production of Annie that got stopped because the director made it so at the end, Annie woke up and was still in the orphanage. Technically, she changed no part of the script -- but she changed the entire intent of the piece.

The Very Angry Man has retired from musicals.net.

Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:38 pm
Profile WWW

Current Obsession: Too many to list.
gamerboy255 wrote:
It wouldn't be illegal. All we would do is have the characters dress like them. We wouldn't change the script or libretto.

That's not necessarily enough to stay within your contract, though. You can still make drastic changes to the original intent of the piece and leave every word intact, and still get in trouble. There was that production of Annie that got stopped because the director made it so at the end, Annie woke up and was still in the orphanage. Technically, she changed no part of the script -- but she changed the entire intent of the piece.

Yeah I still have no idea why that was changed.......

MDN's Superlative Voting Winner:Most Likely To Make You Laugh

Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:53 pm
Profile WWW
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

can The Bakers Wife be a Desperate Housewife?
and Jack Gary Coleman?
Little Red as Rosie O'Donell.

This is a terrible idea.

Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:31 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Current Obsession: Falsettos (forever), Avenue Q, The Scottsboro Boys
Main Role: Performer
This is the reason why musical theatre is getting -------- up. That director is probably venting all his anger out on the production.

Micheal Jackson as prince? (throws up a little)

Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:06 am
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next