Do you like the idea of a cast over 50?
Yes 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
No 88%  88%  [ 22 ]
I don't know 12%  12%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 25

A suprising cast. 
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

ITW is an amazing show, and when I was in a community theater production of it, I loved it to death.

However, if there are so many people who want to be in a production, it's too bad the director didn't realize that ahead of time and pick something else for a show. Otherwise, either a lot of people are excluded, or the split casting creates unnecessary drama and confusion. In the school production of BatB I was in we had to double-cast the Wardrobe because the girl who got the part originally had to be gone for one of the performances, and there was enough fighting on that subject (who gets to perform on opening night, who gets to do the first student body performance, etc. etc.). I can't even imagine the conflict if every part was like that, especially since ITW is more difficult musically and acting-wise than BatB. It's difficult enough to find one high schooler who can play the Baker's Wife well, let alone three of them or whatever. I don't mean to sound harsh, but based on my personal impressions of the show, it just doesn't seem like it would work.

When our community theater company chose ITW, they had just done West Side Story the year before, so they wanted something with a smaller cast that would feel more intimate. Of course there weren't as many roles available in ITW, but...

"That is the state of the art, my dear... that is the state of the art!" ;)

Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:08 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: Bare, Next to Normal
We have the same problem at our high school. We had an over 50 cast already in the show and our director decided to have even more auditions for the rest of the school. Well our director decided to double cast EVERY part. One of the shows will be the real version, I'm the baker in that one. The other cast will be a pop culture version where all the characters will be pop icons like the princes will be michael jackson and elvis. She told us it was to deepen the theme that parent's decisions affect their children and, how generations affect each other. I think it just sounds like a cop out because she didn't want mad kids and parents since there isn't any company. It takes away the integrity of the characters to make them pop icons. The actors will also have to play the icon and the character. That will be hard. I HATE double casting there is TONS of drama involved. There is enough drama when one or two parts are double cast. Think of that drama times 20 since every part is. There are about 5 people that are in both versions. It kinda makes me mad since it's not fair to the other 55 of us who will only be in half of the shows. Especially since the other baker is the wolf in the traditional version and isn't any way near as dedicated, can't sing and is younger than me but, I digress. If she wanted to do Into the Woods she should have cut back our cast.

That's hard. :( All you can do is go through the experience, do your best, and learn something through it.

Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:03 pm
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2