Yes 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
No 88%  88%  [ 22 ]
I don't know 12%  12%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 25

A suprising cast. 
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post A suprising cast.
As most already know, "Into the Woods" can be performed with a very small cast. My school has a cast of over 50, because of the following things:

Double casting Mysterious Man and Jack
Casting the cow (2 people)
Splitting the Narrator part
Adding about 5 bird dancers
Adding about 10 festival dancers
+ about 10 understudies (who have no other part)

I was wondering what other people think about this. I am torn between the two arguments of "more people will get cast" and "the director was too sympathetic". Are there any other takes on this?

Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:40 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

So essentially, the narrator's part was split into 4?

I think your director was way too sympathetic.

Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:42 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

What confuses me is how is the Narrator's death handled when you have two? The giant is only looking for one boy. Are they both ganna thrown to her? That being said, a lot of schools do the same thing because they need to get as many kids involved as they can. I think it may have been better if they just had two different casts. That way you already double the size with all the unneeded mess of adding extra silly parts that usually just look off and, most times, silly.

Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:34 pm
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Well, techinally there are two cows in the show, so you're good there!

Birds, I'm iffy on, but that's better then trees.

The rest are just no-no's to me at least except for understudies. That's entirely understandable.

Sat Mar 14, 2009 5:53 am
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

I think if anything you really should just have two casts like TheWitch said.. that way you can have more people involved without hurting feelings or giving people small parts such as birds, trees, etc..

Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:41 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:41 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: Bare, Next to Normal
My high school did Into the Woods last spring and they just had one person for each character (except Milky White; she was two people). Having two people do a role causes competition between the two people and it also confuses the audience when it's performed.

I agree with theatre_girl92's response.

Let us know how everything goes. :D

Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:32 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: writing songs
Main Role: Performer
After being in two shows that were ridiculously overcast, I'm against anything being overcast. It's a nightmare.

Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:33 pm
Profile YIM
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Current Obsession: Shaw
Main Role: Performer
Having two people do a role...confuses the audience when it's performed.

I'm assuming they rotate performances, not scenes. At least that's how it was when I was double-cast in a role.

Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:50 pm
Profile WWW
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

I love Bird Dancers. The one ITW show I saw used the Bird Dancers as the Narrator, and there were like, 8 of them. It worked out fine.

The understudy thing seems a little outlandish. If they were good enough for that part, why wouldn't they get a role? Wouldn't someone extremely talented for the Witch get cast over someone who is cast as a Stepsister? It's weird.

Double-casting works well, though, but rehearsals must be hell.

Also, where do these festival dancers come in? I don't know of a part when the show is actually IN the palace. That's a little much.

Overall though, I think your show should be fine. Every show is up for experimentation and interpretation. Hope all goes well.

Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:20 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

I don't know....it sounds...different...to me.

I can't really imagine the bird dancers. But best of luck to you on a great show!
:D

Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:46 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

We have the same problem at our high school. We had an over 50 cast already in the show and our director decided to have even more auditions for the rest of the school. Well our director decided to double cast EVERY part. One of the shows will be the real version, I'm the baker in that one. The other cast will be a pop culture version where all the characters will be pop icons like the princes will be michael jackson and elvis. She told us it was to deepen the theme that parent's decisions affect their children and, how generations affect each other. I think it just sounds like a cop out because she didn't want mad kids and parents since there isn't any company. It takes away the integrity of the characters to make them pop icons. The actors will also have to play the icon and the character. That will be hard. I HATE double casting there is TONS of drama involved. There is enough drama when one or two parts are double cast. Think of that drama times 20 since every part is. There are about 5 people that are in both versions. It kinda makes me mad since it's not fair to the other 55 of us who will only be in half of the shows. Especially since the other baker is the wolf in the traditional version and isn't any way near as dedicated, can't sing and is younger than me but, I digress. If she wanted to do Into the Woods she should have cut back our cast.

Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:49 pm
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next