The Resource For Musicals

Into the Woods Forum

Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Issues I Have With the Revival Cast 
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

I saw a production with some high schoolers where the Witch was holding the baby, but still singing the original lyrics.

Though it was a bit awkward as the Baker kept running at the Witch, trying to grab the baby.

That is the only thing I didn't like about that song in the Revival because it takes your attention away from the song because everyone is trying to grab/run after the baby because everyone thinks the Witch is going to kidnap and you miss what is being said in the song.

The Witch never showed interest in the Baker's baby during Act II or before so it doesn't make sense for her to be running around with it in her final song. She already knows that she failed at being a mother during her "Lament" after Rapunzel dies from being squashed by the Giantess because she was scared of the world. That's why she went after Jack because she felt like he killed her by bringing the Giant here. Just like in her lines from Act II:

"You people are so blind! It's because of that boy there's a giant in our land. While you all continue talking about this problem I'll find that lad and serve him to the Giant for lunch!" (Goes to look for Jack.)

"Wake up! People are dying all around you, you're not the only one that suffered a loss. (looks away for a second then back) When your dead your dead."

Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:02 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

The Witch never showed interest in the Baker's baby during Act II or before so it doesn't make sense for her to be running around with it in her final song. She already knows that she failed at being a mother during her "Lament" after Rapunzel dies from being squashed by the Giantess because she was scared of the world. That's why she went after Jack because she felt like he killed her by bringing the Giant here.

The lines you quoted have nothing to do with this, so I'll just skip over that part...

True that she's never showed interest in the baby before... but so what? That makes it all the more striking. A woman capable of terrible things picks up this innocent little baby. It's just a different statement - in the original, it was all about the Witch accusing the others of being "nice" poeple while in the revival it's about how even this pure little baby is going to grow up and make mistakes and do things he shouldn't do, just like everyone else. It's reverting back to the idea of the cycle that we've talked about before, how things sort of repeat themselves in different manifestations.

The Witch has no plan to keep the baby, I think. She's not trying to be a mother again.

Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:17 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

lastmidnight.alex wrote:
The Witch never showed interest in the Baker's baby during Act II or before so it doesn't make sense for her to be running around with it in her final song. She already knows that she failed at being a mother during her "Lament" after Rapunzel dies from being squashed by the Giantess because she was scared of the world. That's why she went after Jack because she felt like he killed her by bringing the Giant here.

The lines you quoted have nothing to do with this, so I'll just skip over that part...

True that she's never showed interest in the baby before... but so what? That makes it all the more striking. A woman capable of terrible things picks up this innocent little baby. It's just a different statement - in the original, it was all about the Witch accusing the others of being "nice" poeple while in the revival it's about how even this pure little baby is going to grow up and make mistakes and do things he shouldn't do, just like everyone else. It's reverting back to the idea of the cycle that we've talked about before, how things sort of repeat themselves in different manifestations.

The Witch has no plan to keep the baby, I think. She's not trying to be a mother again.

I think why she is suddenly now noticing the baby in the revival was that during thier fighting, the baby is forgotten when before it was always being cared for, and she's disgusted by this, that they'd abandoned this child without thought(though not purposefully) for thier own sakes.

Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:30 pm
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Main Role: Performer
John McMartin as the Narrator/Mysterious Man was sheer brilliance. the legend and sondheim vet was actually better than Tom Aldredge in the original.anyone who says he wasnt dynamic and totally engaging in the role didnt see him. He got a Tony Nomination for the role.

the worst of the cast were Kerri O'Malley,Laura Benanti, and unfortunately Vanessa Williams...williams wasnt awful but she was miscast.

Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:59 pm
Profile WWW
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

John McMartin as the Narrator/Mysterious Man was sheer brilliance. the legend and sondheim vet was actually better than Tom Aldredge in the original.anyone who says he wasnt dynamic and totally engaging in the role didnt see him. He got a Tony Nomination for the role.

the worst of the cast were Kerri O'Malley,Laura Benanti, and unfortunately Vanessa Williams...williams wasnt awful but she was miscast.

Why do you think Laura Benanti didn't do well? I thought she was one of the standouts, personally. Compared to some of the actors *coughAdamWyliecough* I thought she did fine. Nowhere near Kim, of course, but still good.

Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:26 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: next to normal
williams wasnt awful but she was miscast.

Is this more apparent on stage?

Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:13 pm

if you havent seen both versions you shouldnt be discussing it.

yes..williams wasnt right for the role but she was not a disaster.

Benanti was a wreck as cinderella. wylie was not good either..and o'malley was even worse than benanti.

John McMartin was perfection. He made the show.

the 2 Princes..Greg Edlemann and the actor who played Rapunzel's Prince..were also perfectly cast. (Edelmann was a cast replacement for Westenberg in the OBC as well).

Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:36 am
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

The original is on DVD. The revival is, though I'm required by law to say I don't condone bootlegging, THE REVIVAL IS ALL FREAKIN' OVER GOOGLE VIDEO, AND A SIMPLE SEARCH OF INTO THe WOODS WILL REVEAL THE ENTIRE REVIVAL FOR THE PUBLIC TO WATCH.

There's no reason anyone shouldn't be able to compare the two.

Very tightly, very soon.
So wave one bachelor goodbye,
She'll be your bride- she'd rather die
Than have her daddy ossify
In my sordid saloon..."

Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:14 am
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: next to normal
if you havent seen both versions you shouldnt be discussing it.

What? Relevance?

The reason I asked you is (assumably) you own both the recording+have seen it on stage.

Sat Sep 20, 2008 3:23 pm
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Current Obsession: Wicked, Addams Family, Cats, Phantom, Les Mis
i saw the video of the revival and i thought that it was fantastic. the only problem to me was jack's mother.

Narwhal, Whale Sharks, and Zebras OH MY

Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:01 pm
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

I saw both shows, so I'll do a fun little evaluation:

Vanessa Williams (Witch): I didn't like her as the witch in Act 1. She didn't take advantage of those comedic moments, often playing to the audience too much. It seemed like she also sometimes didn't acknowledge what she was singing, specifically in the Prologue rap and "Our Little World". She got better in the second act, though, but she was a bit wooden when it came to losing Rapunzel. "Last Midnight" was nice, I did like the choice to sing it to the child, though her kissing it was a bit weird.

John McMartin (Narrator/Mysterious Man): I thought he was great! It was interesting that they added him doing things such as controlling the birds and pointing characters in certain directions. It reaffirmed the idea of him being the sole storyteller and actually being able to control the story. He was fine as Mysterious Man, nothing particularly special.

Laura Benanti (Cinderella): Probably my favorite part of the show. I thought she was spot-on with everything. And her voice was great. No real complaints here.

Stephen DeRosa (Baker): I had a pretty big problem with him, though it's probably because of comparing him with the greatness that is Chip Zien. I thought his performance was really wooden; he showed a bit too much inwardliness, especially in losing his wife. Plus he looked a bit too young to be the Baker.

Kerry O'Malley (Baker's Wife): She looked WAY too young to be the Baker's Wife. Not to mention she sounded too young. Like someone mentioned in the thread, she had a youthful soprano timbre. She seems more likely to play Cinderella if anything. I did like her part in "Moments in the Woods," though.

Adam Wylie and Marylouise Burke (Jack and Jack's Mother): Eh and ugh. Wylie sounded really annoying on the cast recording, but surprisingly I liked him better on the stage than I expected. I don't think he played the comedy up very well; Ben Wright made some much better moments. Burke was my least favorite part of the show. She wasn't really able to sing, or was only able to sing everything down the octave. And she didn't really seem to make any connection to Jack. It was disappointing to watch their scenes. Plus her death was strange.

Molly Ephraim (Little Red): I thought she was alright, maybe even a bit too plain. As bad as it is to say, I feel the bit of her eating the goodies in the beginning breezed over everyone's heads because of her body type. She didn't seem as sarcastic as Danielle Ferland, but as a result she was more innocent, especially in "I Know Things Now." Overall, she did an average job.

Gregg Edelmen and Christopher Sieber (Wolves/Princes): Edelmen really didn't do it for me. He didn't have some sort of charismatic spark, and seemed to have the same expression on his face the whole time. I'm a big Sieber fan, and I thought he was great in this as well. He had much better timing, which resulted in him getting all the laughs in both "Agony" and its reprise. The two wolves idea is a bit strange, since now it seems like a gangrape, and "Hello, Little Girl" seems like only a song meant for one.

The rest of the cast I don't really remember, so I assume they were fine. In terms of artistic choices, I did like the idea of storybooks flipping open, and I loved the "Into the Woods" book at the end. The shadow giant was much cooler than the random feet and head that appeared in the OBC. And the moving Milky White was pretty awesome, though it did take out the joke of it dying by just kind of falling over. I also liked the inclusion of choreography, kind of functioned as a throughline for all the characters. So, while it's a step down from the OBC, I do think the revival has some nice moments, and a nice ending.

Currently: Nothing!
Recently Finished: Alexander in Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day
Jinx (u/s) in Forever Plaid

Sat Aug 08, 2009 6:03 pm
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Current Obsession: Wicked, Addams Family, Cats, Phantom, Les Mis
Burke was my least favorite part of the show. She wasn't really able to sing, or was only able to sing everything down the octave. And she didn't really seem to make any connection to Jack. It was disappointing to watch their scenes. Plus her death was strange.

I couldn't agree more. i soon as i heard her in the proluge, i was like " get this screeching cat out of the theate." everything else was fine. great show.

Narwhal, Whale Sharks, and Zebras OH MY

Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:32 pm
Reply to topic   [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next