The Resource For Musicals

Into the Woods Forum

Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Issues I Have With the Revival Cast 
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

The one thing I actually do like about the revival is the new lyrics in Last Midnight. It offers a much wider range of emotions rather than just scary mad frustration. Of course, it also answer the question of 'where is the baby?' that I always ask myself during that scene. In my production, I carried the doll during the whole scene and tried to protect it from the Witch. My knees got very bruised when we fell down because I was holding that baby and couldn't stop my fall.

Sun Jul 06, 2008 2:04 pm
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

curlyhairedsoprano91 wrote:
-- Adam Wylie. Someone PLEASE teach this boy to get his voice out of his nose. GAH it sounded terrible. Just so ... grating, and awful, and annoying, and it made me treasure every note Ben Wright sang on the original sooo much more.

My thoughts exactly.
Mine, too.

Sun Jul 06, 2008 2:25 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

The one thing I actually do like about the revival is the new lyrics in Last Midnight. It offers a much wider range of emotions rather than just scary mad frustration. Of course, it also answer the question of 'where is the baby?' that I always ask myself during that scene. In my production, I carried the doll during the whole scene and tried to protect it from the Witch. My knees got very bruised when we fell down because I was holding that baby and couldn't stop my fall.

Cinderella holds him the whole time in the OBC.

Sun Jul 06, 2008 7:27 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Main Role: Performer
LOL my friend asked that while we were watching the OBC. Just randomly she goes "Wait a sec...where'd the baby go?"

I looked around and I couldn't see it so I was like, "Hm...maybe they leave him on the rock." Y'know, the rock/platform thing that goes on and offstage.

I also like new Last Midnight Lyrics. I liked the end ending "Mother, here I come!" but I think it would have had more impact if Vanessa had held the note longer and hadn't slurred it down at the end.

Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:13 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

ConverseSneaker wrote:

Cinderella holds him the whole time in the OBC.

Are you kidding? All those bruises for nothing?

Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:25 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Yeah, Little Red hands him over to Cinderella at some point (not sure when... maybe even before they enter for the scene?) and she keeps him all the way through the Baker's return from singing "No More."

Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:28 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Not really. The lyrics don't answer that question. They just downgrade the song and get rid of the best lyrics in the song. The only thing one has to do in a production to 'answer' the question is just have Cinderella or Little Red holding the baby during the scene, unlike in the OBC Production. I find it odd that we don't really see what happens, though. Maybe it there in the background and we didn't catch it? I don't know I'll have to watch it again.

Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:50 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

ConverseSneaker wrote:

Not really. The lyrics don't answer that question. They just downgrade the song and get rid of the best lyrics in the song. The only thing one has to do in a production to 'answer' the question is just have Cinderella or Little Red holding the baby during the scene, unlike in the OBC Production. I find it odd that we don't really see what happens, though. Maybe it there in the background and we didn't catch it? I don't know I'll have to watch it again.

Yes, they do. The lyrics tell you exactly where the baby is - in the Witch's arms. It would be awkward and weird for her to sing directly to the baby if Cinderella was holding him.

Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:17 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Joshua wrote:
ConverseSneaker wrote:

Yes, they do. The lyrics tell you exactly where the baby is - in the Witch's arms. It would be awkward and weird for her to sing directly to the baby if Cinderella was holding him.

I'm sorry. I meant that the scene could have been done without the changing of lyrics but still with the answering of the question by simply having someone hold the baby. Not that they don't answer the question, but that it could've been done without changing the lyrics because that's not the only way to answer the question.

Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:41 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Baker wrote:
Joshua wrote:
ConverseSneaker wrote:

I'm sorry. I meant that the scene could have been done without the changing of lyrics but still with the answering of the question by simply having someone hold the baby. Not that they don't answer the question, but that it could've been done without changing the lyrics because that's not the only way to answer the question.

I don't understand what "question" about the baby you're talking about.
If you watch the OBC, especially the DVD, duirng Act II it shows various scenes where either the Bakers's Wife, Little Red, or Cinderellla holding the baby. I mean people would get very agitated and bored if they kept hearing a baby crying in the background everytime the said person walked on holding it.
And in "Last Midnight" Cinderella is hoding the baby while the Witch is singing and it is still shown where the baby is in the original lyrics because she says:
Witch: Your all liers and theives. (points to all of them)
(points to the Baker)
Like Your Father!
(Points to Cinderella who is holding the baby.)
Like your son will be too!
(Cinderella then holds the baby away from the witch.)
And in the Revival the changed line your referring to is the part where the Witch is singing to the baby in her arms until giving it back to the Baker which I personally don't like just because the song was about the Witch telling the characters that they were all in the wrong from the beginning and that they are all just "Nice." But it was an interesting interpretation of it though, I just feel the orginal had more of an impact for the Witch's final number before she destroys herself.

Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:37 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

It's a question only because you can't just listen to the show and know where the baby is. Although someone is always holding it (Cinderella in this case) the baby isn't referenced from the point that the Baker and his Wife leave him with Little Red Ridinghood until he leaves after Last Midnight, at which point he says, "I think my child would be happier in the arms of a princess." Even this, though, can leave you wondering who's been holding him up to this point - presumably Little Red or Cinderella, of course, since Jack and the Witch don't arrive until the scene has already begun and we assume that if the Baker was holding him, he would be crying. Having the Witch hold him instead of Cinderella or Little Red shows a little diversity and a ton of character for both the Witch and whoever was holding the baby. It's intriguing to watch the Witch interact a baby, since she must have done so previously when she snatched up Rapunzel. Is this how she treated Rapunzel? Also I doubt Cinderella or Little Red would willingly hand the baby over to the Witch, so at some point they must have felt it safe to lay him down throughout all the accusaitons...

That was a bit long-winded. Sorry about that.

Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:49 pm

I saw a production with some high schoolers where the Witch was holding the baby, but still singing the original lyrics.

Though it was a bit awkward as the Baker kept running at the Witch, trying to grab the baby.

That Baker still beat the crap out of the guy in the revival, though.

Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:22 pm
Reply to topic   [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next