The Resource For Musicals

Into the Woods Forum

Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Issues I Have With the Revival Cast 
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Post Issues I Have With the Revival Cast
Ah, there are so many. Let me list, and y'all please discuss.

-Kerry O'Malley (TBW) sounds like a Marilyn Monroe wanna-be in 'Moments'. (Especially in the "Will we find each other in the woods again?" part. ARGH!)

-Vanessa is great and all, but she sounds way too crone-like in the first act. Honestly, I think that Bernadette nailed it. The Witch should be just 'old woman' sounding enough, but not so much that it dismisses the probablity of her actually being a young woman. Does that make sense?

-Laura is too shrill with her higher register.

-The costumes suck. (Sorry, I hated them)

-The Narrator was way too stiff and not animated enough.

- Both Princes seemed...indifferent. As though they were not pompous or vain at all!

-Did my eyes decieve me, or at the Tony awards when the revival cast performed, was the Wolf chasing Three Little Pigs? ACK! Seriously.

-The Witch and Rapunzel, although they had some nice comedic bits, had no chemistry as mother and daughter.

-Rapunzel was too innocent. I thought she should have been played more...I don't know...real, I guess.

- This is a funny one, but it still bothers me: during 'The Witch's Rap', Vanessa's prothstetic chin looks precariously perched the entire time-it looks like it's going to fall right off!

-Also, what was with The Witch's hair going all Medusa during 'The Witch's Rap'? Weird and unnecessary.

Annnd that's all I can think of right now. Just thought that I would share. If I can think of more, I'll edit or add another post. So, dear MdN'ers, I ask this of you: Feel free to post things that bother YOU about the revival cast! And discuss! Please 'n thank you!

Fraulein Schneider: Cabaret Forum Cast 08!
Now: Elizabeth Bennett in Pride & Prejudice

Sat Jul 05, 2008 12:33 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

It's been discussed inside out but I guess another thread can't hurt...

Question though, did you actually see it? On the one hand you seem surprised at the bit about the Three Little Pigs, but on the other hand several of your statements seem as though you saw the show (your comments about the princes, Rapunzel, and the Narrator, for example.) Unless you're making assumptions based on the CD?

Sat Jul 05, 2008 1:02 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Main Role: Performer
In Rapunzel's defense, she was sheltered for fourteen years for the exact reason that you're complaining about. She's supposed to be innocent.

I didn't mind most of the revival cast, really (mind you, I've only heard the CD) I really liked the LRRH, mostly because she nailed the whole 'little child' and I liked her inflection in several songs better, especially "Hello, Little Girl." I HATED Vanessa and whoever played Jack. Vanessa just can't hold a candle to Bernadette, and she sounded exactly the same while she ugly and while she was pretty.

And don't even get me started on the revival Jack. :evil:

Sat Jul 05, 2008 2:09 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I actually thought Adam Wylie was one of the very few bright spots of the revival.

And the dancing cow. I enjoyed that.

Sat Jul 05, 2008 2:26 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: Overcoming illness
I totally agree with you, Musicalgal. I despise the revival for several of those reasons you said.

The Original Broadway Cast of Into the Woods is one of the most perfect casts I've ever seen. The revival cast just couldn't compare. But Laura Benanti did grow on me, I have to say.

I think the new Baker's Wife had a voice that was too good. It was very pure and very soprano, and I think that the role calls for a more mature, rich voice.

The 2nd Wolf and its subplot was just unnecessary, I think.

Sat Jul 05, 2008 3:54 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Let me post my list of grievances, as well (there are many). A few of these aren't grievances ... simply comments ... but they're mostly bad.

-- Kerry O'Malley. I respect the heck out of her performance, and I think that in a cast as weak as this one, she was something of a bright-spot. She was, however, miscast. I liked her voice, just ... not in this role.

-- Adam Wylie. Someone PLEASE teach this boy to get his voice out of his nose. GAH it sounded terrible. Just so ... grating, and awful, and annoying, and it made me treasure every note Ben Wright sang on the original sooo much more.

-- Vanessa wasn't ...terrible. It's sooo hard not to compare her to Bernadette, but even on the recording she was so flat. You couldn't even tell what a big part in the plot the Witch had.

-- LAURA BENANTI. Total bright spot.

-- The princes. Especially Cinderella's Prince. Major grievances there. "Any Moment" was freaking passionless. It makes me angry. I want to be seduced by pure vocal testosterone here. But no. :evil:

-- Rapunzel needed to get her voice out of her nose as well. It is possible to sing in pure head voice without sounding like a nasal mutated belt.

-- 3 little pigs = DUMB.

Probably more, I don't feel like writing anymore.

gretchen weiners [lyss.ana.maggie.plasticlove<3]

Sat Jul 05, 2008 4:11 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Post Re: Issues I Have With the Revival Cast
Some rebuttles. I agree with some of your statements though, like the narrator being boring.

MusicalGal1194 wrote:
-Vanessa is great and all, but she sounds way too crone-like in the first act. Honestly, I think that Bernadette nailed it. The Witch should be just 'old woman' sounding enough, but not so much that it dismisses the probablity of her actually being a young woman. Does that make sense?

I actually enjoy Vanessa's performance, but that's because I don't compare her to Bernadette. I actually don't go ga-ga over Bernadette's performance - she annoys me at several points in the show. Vanessa's acting is much more interesting to me - plus she's hysterical during Our Little World.

MusicalGal1194 wrote:
-The costumes suck. (Sorry, I hated them)

I wholeheartedly agree except for Little Red Riding Hood's Act I costume. I just love it.

MusicalGal1194 wrote:
-Did my eyes decieve me, or at the Tony awards when the revival cast performed, was the Wolf chasing Three Little Pigs? ACK! Seriously.

Don't pin that entirely on the revival. That was a concept from the original version that got cut and was restored.

MusicalGal1194 wrote:
-Rapunzel was too innocent. I thought she should have been played more...I don't know...real, I guess.

If you locked up a thirteen-year-old in 1994 and gave them no clue as to what was happening in the outside world, no clue that there were even other people outside their prison, and released them today, would you expect that person to be very fleshed-out and have a great personality? No. You wouldn't.

MusicalGal1194 wrote:
-Also, what was with The Witch's hair going all Medusa during 'The Witch's Rap'? Weird and unnecessary.

So what? Bernadette's lifting chair is weird and unnecessary. The fact that the OBC Wolf is anatomically correct is weird and unnecessary. The giantess's head falling at the end of the show in the OBC is weird and unnecessary (and it looks hideously fake). Andrew Lloyd Webber is weird and unnecessary. It's just a fun little element to the show. In the revival, the Witch has a constant snake theme. Her staff is snake-like, her hair does the snake thing, I think there's a few other things that I can't think of as well. It's just something fun they did. I like it.

Sat Jul 05, 2008 4:19 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Post Re: Issues I Have With the Revival Cast
Baker wrote:

MusicalGal1194 wrote:

Don't pin that entirely on the revival. That was a concept from the original version that got cut and was restored.

Alas, you're right. It's true that I shouldn't pin that entirely on the revival. It's just...I found it so odd!

Baker wrote:

MusicalGal1194 wrote:

So what? Bernadette's lifting chair is weird and unnecessary. The fact that the OBC Wolf is anatomically correct is weird and unnecessary. The giantess's head falling at the end of the show in the OBC is weird and unnecessary (and it looks hideously fake). Andrew Lloyd Webber is weird and unnecessary.

Agreed, and I also thought the same 'weird and unnecessary' thing about the lifting chair, too! Also, I concur that ALW is weird and indeed unnecessary.

And to everyone else, I have not seen the revival in person but have seen many a video and recording. I was not fortunate enough to see the revival but I still felt the need to see it, hence this thread being created.
Also, I actually enjoyed Adam Wylie's performance. I think his voice has some character that's perfect for Jack. I prefer his performance over that of Ben Wright's. [/i]

Fraulein Schneider: Cabaret Forum Cast 08!
Now: Elizabeth Bennett in Pride & Prejudice

Sat Jul 05, 2008 4:34 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:13 am
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Current Obsession: Knitting, tea, and Shakespeare, ideally at once.
I've only heard the cast recording, so that's what my judgments are based off.

-I think that BW and Cinderella sound too similar.
-The transposed songs (especially the Witch's) irritate me to no end.
-The changes in lyrics -- really, why? Especially in "Greens, Greens," the flow just gets broken when she begins the "my mistake" rhymes, then goes back with the original lyrics.
-Having Jack and LRR pop into the end of "Steps of the Palace" makes me unreasonably mad. They've already had their self-discovery songs; let Cinderella have hers all by herself! We've already been told that Jack and LRR have learned something new.
-The Baker sounds so dispassionate throughout. "No More" turns into a snore-fest.
-Actually, most everyone sounds rather spiritless compared to the OBC.
-The Princes lack any zing.

*sigh* I'm just glad that I was given this cast recording and didn't buy it myself.

Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:19 am
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

K this has little to do with this post, but 2 months ago I was in London and I saw a poster for a show labeled "Into the Hoods," which is an urban take on Sondheim's masterpiece. Not really a revival but more of a non-conventional twist to the work... in a way... I don't know... thought it was interesting. Ignore me. k bye.

I can finally say I am eighteen and a working actress.

Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:29 am
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

-- Adam Wylie. Someone PLEASE teach this boy to get his voice out of his nose. GAH it sounded terrible. Just so ... grating, and awful, and annoying, and it made me treasure every note Ben Wright sang on the original sooo much more.

My thoughts exactly.

Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:18 am
Reply to topic   [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next