The Resource For Musicals

Into the Woods Forum

Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Curtain Call 
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

The Witch gestured to the orchestra pit, and the conductor waved. The Techs were on the control box ledge above and behind the audience. The same happened with CATS with the same theatre company. The musicians and the tech crew work just as had as the cast.

Oh ok, I thought you meant they actually went onstage and bowed. There's no denying that they work just as hard, but I thought it was really tacky to have them bow. I get it now.

Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:25 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

In my company the techies do bow. They come out first then Leave before the cast does. Then our cast comes out. For Narnia, they came out through the wardrobe!

Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:46 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Our school has the techies come out onstage after everyone else, and I can't say that I've ever liked it. I know they "work just as hard" and all, but when you think about it, the techies didn't go through an audition, or go through the hours and hours of rehearsals like the actors did. And isn't the bow for the actors to "submit" themselves to the audience anyways? Thanking them for coming? Now don't get me wrong- I'm cool with the gesturing to the orchastra pit, and even to the light booth- but techies actually coming out onstage? It just doesn't seem right. I find that most veteren techies that I've worked with don't even WANT to go onstage. They're perfectly happy being in the wings, out the spotlight, which is why a lot of people become theatre techies in the first place.
just my $.02...

Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:05 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

:?
Our school has the techies come out onstage after everyone else, and I can't say that I've ever liked it. I know they "work just as hard" and all, but when you think about it, the techies didn't go through an audition, or go through the hours and hours of rehearsals like the actors did....

Are you kidding me? Being both a show designer and a performer, I can honestly say that designing and building a show is much more work and is much more exhausting than being in a show. AND we "techies" go through just as many "hours and hours" as performers, if not more. Setting up the show, setting the lights, and running cues is so much more work than you think.

Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:56 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

The Drama Queen wrote:
Our school has the techies come out onstage after everyone else, and I can't say that I've ever liked it. I know they "work just as hard" and all, but when you think about it, the techies didn't go through an audition, or go through the hours and hours of rehearsals like the actors did....

Are you kidding me? Being both a show designer and a performer, I can honestly say that designing and building a show is much more work and is much more exhausting than being in a show. AND we "techies" go through just as many "hours and hours" as performers, if not more. Setting up the show, setting the lights, and running cues is so much more work than you think.

I was talking about mainly at my high school...the techies who bowed didn't start coming to rehearsals until 2 days before we opened. The set designer (who was our director), lighting designer, and stage manager (who called/set all the cues) were among the ones who chose not to bow.
I have no doubt that for normal fully-staged musicals the techies put in a lot of work...but then those are normally the shows where they don't have the techies bow....?

It kind of doesn't make sense.

So if the techies do so much work, and obviously the show would NOT go on without them, why is it that so many actors/directors have a problem with them bowing??? (I'm asking this as an honest question, because I really don't get it.)

Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:18 pm
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

When I did it, my director moved my curtain call way back.

Snow White and Sleeping Beauty
The Wolf
Granny
Stepsisters and the Steward
Cinderella's FAther and Stepmother
Rapunzel and her Prince
Cinderella's Prince
Cinderella's Mother and the Giant
Jack's Mother
Jack
Little Red Riding Hood
Narrator/MM
Cinderella
Baker's Wife
Witch
Baker

Cinderella's Mother/Giant was the directors daughter. The Narrator was the director...

:roll:

EDIT: Fixed.

Current: Artistic Director of Is There Life After High School?
Last: Trevor Graydon in Thoroughly Modern Millie

Last edited by ChrisFitzpatrick on Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:21 pm

Location: In the woods far from civilisation (yet still with electricity? hmmm...)
Main Role: Performer
^ that sounds like something my company might do! lol

actually, they're very good with curtain calls, but the chorus alsways goes first, and all we get is a measley round of applause... even though we've had the harder job than the principals who aren't in envy of someone who go the part they'd DREAMED of...
i'm not complaining though...

:roll:

[color=#80BFFF]lalalalala![/color]
I'm BACK! [color=#8040FF]But I need to work out a picture to put here...[/color]
[size=150]Team Cathy! :D[/size]

Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:41 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

umm.....I think you have Cinderella's mother on their twice....

Sat Jun 21, 2008 1:40 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Joshua wrote:
The Drama Queen wrote:

I was talking about mainly at my high school...the techies who bowed didn't start coming to rehearsals until 2 days before we opened. The set designer (who was our director), lighting designer, and stage manager (who called/set all the cues) were among the ones who chose not to bow.
I have no doubt that for normal fully-staged musicals the techies put in a lot of work...but then those are normally the shows where they don't have the techies bow....?

It kind of doesn't make sense.

So if the techies do so much work, and obviously the show would NOT go on without them, why is it that so many actors/directors have a problem with them bowing??? (I'm asking this as an honest question, because I really don't get it.)

I'm not saying we should get a bow. I just had a problem with the bold-faced statement above.

Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:32 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

The Drama Queen wrote:
Joshua wrote:
The Drama Queen wrote:

I'm not saying we should get a bow. I just had a problem with the bold-faced statement above.

To explain a little bit more clearly - The Drama Queen was talking specifically about the fact that the techies who bowed went through 2 days of rehearsals. I don't think she meant to undermine the work of the designers, builders, etc.

Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:41 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Main Role: Performer

Why does Cinderella's Prince get a higher bow than Jack, LRRH and Cindy in the OBC? Is it because it's Robert Westenberg, or is it because he played two roles or something? Cause Merle Louis did three...

Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:53 pm
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

To bring the topic back on track...

Why does Cinderella's Prince get a higher bow than Jack, LRRH and Cindy in the OBC? Is it because it's Robert Westenberg, or is it because he played two roles or something? Cause Merle Louis did three...

Cinderellas Prince + Wolf would make it right. Little Red and Jack aren't really leads. I guess if you combined Wolf and Cinderella's Prince you could get it as a "lead"

Current: Artistic Director of Is There Life After High School?
Last: Trevor Graydon in Thoroughly Modern Millie

Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:07 pm
Reply to topic   [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next