The Resource For Musicals

Gypsy Forum

Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Patti LuPone in Gypsy is closing 
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

excuse me..i'm wrong?? what a f8cking conceited blanket statement..

You are wrong. You are basing your opinion on previous "wooden" performances? How naive of you Salome. Katharine Hepburn would rip you for such nonsense, having given so many wooden performances herself, and going on to win 4 Oscars HAHA.

Salome wrote:
as for tonys..crap like spring awakening,fossee and many under par perfromers won tonys. thats not a good argument.

It is when is was generally agreed by EVERY critic and theater historians that Benanti would, and should, win the award.

Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:21 am
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Main Role: Performer

Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:27 am
Profile WWW
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

wow..you really know nothing at all.

HAHA. This is your argument? I don't agree with you so I "know nothing at all"?

Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:28 am
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

Salome? Do ALL these people also know nothing?

The AP:

Then there is Rose's prickly dealings with her daughter, Louise, the ugly duckling who would grow up to become the swanlike Gypsy. Laura Benanti displays a touching vulnerability - not to mention a lovely voice - as the insecure daughter, a girl always in the shadow of her mother's favorite, June. And in their eventual confrontation, Benanti rises to the challenge of a faceoff with LuPone.

amNY:

Joining Lupone is Laura Benanti, who is probably giving the most dramatically and vocally powerful performance of Louise ever seen.

Variety:

Benanti is heartbreaking singing "I wonder how old I am" in "Little Lamb." Laurents' staging at times could be more fluid, notably as demure Louise transitions from her first, nervous burlesque appearance to sexy sophistication when she becomes celebrated stripper Gypsy Rose Lee. But Benanti emerges, butterfly-like, from her cocoon with grace and glamour, casting off her gawky early appearance -- in baggy tomboyish outfits and unflattering braids -- to take full command as she claims ownership of her life and shoves her mother aside.

Benanti is enormously moving as she absorbs one hurt after another through the show, pulled along like a rag doll in her mother's wake, initially second-string to her sister and then reluctantly shanghaied into headlining. When she emerges like a butterfly -- nervously at first, then with spiraling confidence -- from her baggy, unflattering clothes into the winking sophistication and toned, willowy body of the striptease artiste, the audience is celebrating her bittersweet independence along with her.

The New York Times:

I have never been more conscious of the ambivalence between June and her sister, Louise, the hang-dog tomboy who grows up to be Gypsy Rose Lee. Laura Benanti, late of “The Wedding Singer,” is delicious in the title role. (The appealingly watchful-faced Emma Rowley plays her younger self.) Ms. Benanti invests even her early scenes with a tincture of latent ambition that makes her apotheosis as burlesque queen seem inevitable.

And Ms. Benanti, in the performance of her career, traces Louise’s path to becoming her mother’s daughter out of necessity. The transformation of the waifish Louise into the vulpine Gypsy Rose Lee is completely convincing. And you’re acutely aware of what’s lost and gained in the metamorphoses.

USA Today:

Laura Benanti faces, and embraces, a bigger challenge charting the evolution of June's gawky sister, Louise, into Gypsy Rose Lee. Singing the exquisite Little Lamb in the first act, Benanti, who has one of the most beautiful voices in musical theater, makes that instrument sound fragile and tentative, verging on tears at one point.

Later, with Laurents' obvious encouragement, Benanti poses a dramatic counterweight to the formidable Rose. When Louise/Gypsy finally confronts her mother, Benanti screams out, as if to remind us whom the title of this show refers to.

Theatermania.com:

Laurents, who knows what he wants from a property that debuted 49 years ago this spring, has surrounded his star with a cast encouraged to be equally outstanding, starting with Benanti as the untalented girl who becomes legendary, self-kidding ecdysiast Gypsy Rose Lee. Hers is the character who transforms the most, and the initially cowering and then-confident Benanti wrings every nuance from the change. For many who expect LuPone's portrayal to be no less stunning than it is, Benanti's work will be the production's true revelation. Plus, she's a humdinger in the craftily zippered gowns that wily costumer Martin Pakledinaz has run up for the burlesque-house runways.

CurtainUp:

While LuPone is the box office name in this Gypsy, this is a win-win-win cast. As LuPone meets the tough challenge of showing the vulnerable loving side of the monstrously ambitious and misguided Rose, so Benanti manages to reconcile the pigailed, awkwardly untalented Louise we see for most of the show with the cool woman who has turned a step down the lowest rung of the show business ladder into her own kind of super stardom. It's the way Benanti taps into Louise's needy devotion to her mother and shows her to be not just a good listener but an emotionally engaged one (especially during the Tulsa dance number by Tony Yazbeck and the three strippers' demonstration of the fine points of strip tease) that makes the Louise-to-Miss Gypsy Rose Lee transformation and the mother-daughter rapprochement completely convincing.

It's the way Benanti's delighted interaction with the three strippers that also gives those tough gals' "You've Gotta Get a Gimmick" newly poignant as well as the usually funny resonance. Lenora Nemetz who plays one of those strippers, Mazeppa, as well as the crotchety, crusty Miss Cratchett is the only cast replacement and she is more than up to both parts.

John Simon:

But then how deftly LuPone makes Rose exude vulgarity without jeopardizing our basic sympathy; how touchingly Gaines underplays his leading-man dazzle for the most likable Herbie ever; how compellingly Benanti handles shy duckling Louise's transfiguration into Gypsy's preening swan.

NY Post:

Benanti is terrific, handling that transformation with more skill than any Louise I've seen, and standing toe-to-toe with LuPone in one of drama's most effective shouting matches. She also does the tease-strip bit very much like the real Gypsy Rose Lee, who I once saw heading an all-star variety show at the London Palladium.

Time Out:

it has a superb supporting cast, led by the impeccable Laura Benanti as Louise, the tomboy turned sexpot.

Daily News:

Achingly awkward as the no-talent tomboy Louise, the luminous Laura Benanti believably sheds inhibitions and clothes to bloom into the poised peeler Gypsy Rose Lee.

NY 1:

Laura Benanti is stunning!

and finally New York Magazine:

Pale and pigtailed, Laura Benanti spends much of the new revival of Gypsy looking about as wallflower-y as a wallflower gets. As Louise, the less stageworthy daughter of the overbearing Momma Rose, she wears a bashful smile even when she demeans herself: “I don’t have any talent,” she says. Benanti’s ability to navigate the tomboy’s transformation into the stage-prowling stripper Gypsy Rose Lee is plenty impressive; her ability to do so while breezing through a dozen other emotional shadings—a plain girl’s heartsickness, the petulance of a star—makes it astonishing. If she isn’t the definitive Louise, I’d be awfully eager to see who is. So eager, in fact, I might even be willing to sit through Gypsy again.

Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:04 am

I dont have to agree. I saw her.

Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:28 am
Profile WWW
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

*YAWN*

I dont have to agree. I saw her.

No you don't have to agree but you need to stop saying things like "Wow You don't know anything" because others disagree. It's childish.

Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:34 am
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

I haven't got to see Benati, but I like the recording :D

I find it so ironic that quote is in that book.

Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:37 am

You are being childish believing that everyone \must agree with your assesment of some flash in the pan. I thought she was okay in Gypsy..and that she was dreadful in Nine and ITW.

Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:38 am
Profile WWW
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

You are being childish believing that everyone \must agree with your assesment of some flash in the pan. I thought she was okay in Gypsy..and that she was dreadful in Nine and ITW.

No. I am not being childish. She is not a "flash in the pan" Salome :roll: She has been on Broadway for ten years. Since she was 19 years old. She has been nominated for 3 Tony's and she was awarded one for "Gypsy". When you say things like that it makes you seem like the one who knows very little about Broadway. Flash in the pan? :lol:

Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:44 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

You are being childish believing that everyone \must agree with your assesment of some flash in the pan.

Woah woah woah Dawn that's what YOU'RE doing. You are so hypocritical.

Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:45 am

Salome wrote:

No. I am not being childish. She is not a "flash in the pan" Salome :roll: She has been on Broadway for ten years. Since she was 19 years old. She has been nominated for 3 Tony's and she was awarded one for "Gypsy". When you say things like that it makes you seem like the one who knows very little about Broadway. Flash in the pan? :lol:

I know she's been there 10 + years..it doesnt make her good///just castable.

look how long Elaine Paige's career has been and she is dreadful.

Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:59 am
Profile WWW
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

Dots Parasole wrote:
Salome wrote:

I know she's been there 10 + years..it doesnt make her good///just castable.

look how long Elaine Paige's career has been and she is dreadful.

Elaine Paige is not a "flash in the pan" either. You're not making sense.

Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:01 am
Reply to topic   [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next