The Resource For Musicals

Gypsy Forum

Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
Rose...what is her main obstacle? 
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: next to normal
Wow....

I'm not even going to continue this....Salome was right. You don't really have a clue about anything.

Isn't this irrelevant? The discussion with Salome about Laura Benanti (I think it was), was completely justified on Dots' part because her performance was praised.

Sun Nov 16, 2008 3:28 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Yes. But Dots was insisting that everyone had to agree that she was great, just because her performance was praised. Salome said that Tony Awards wasn't always a measure of talent (for the record, I like Benanti...but it has nothing to do with the fact that she got good reviews!!!) and that she was entitled to disagree.

Either way, I'm not talking about Laura Benanti. I was just commenting that I agree with the assessment that Dots is pretty clueless when it comes to Gypsy based on her analysis of Rose, and that I see no point in arguing with someone so close-minded. It's a waste of energy, I might as well talk to a plank of wood. Dots Parasole has now earned herself a spot on my ignore list.

Sun Nov 16, 2008 4:41 pm
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

Yes. But Dots was insisting that everyone had to agree that she was great, just because her performance was praised. Salome said that Tony Awards wasn't always a measure of talent (for the record, I like Benanti...but it has nothing to do with the fact that she got good reviews!!!) and that she was entitled to disagree.

My dear, it is you who knows very little. Even when trying to back up an argument from another thread. My point about Benanti, which most people understood, is as follows:

Salome said not all Tony's are deserved and she was correct. Some examples:

Idina Menzel in Wicked. She got lackluster reviews and was up against much better actresses but won anyway. Most likely from split votes.

Two Gentlemen of Verona winning Best Musical: A bit of a theater history myth. While Verona is a decent show is had nothing on "Follies" which won every other award of the evening.

Salome "Tony" argument does not hold up with regards to Benanti. She got RAVES from every major critic for both the City Center Production and the Broadway run. Her Tony was certainly deserved.

IndigoMedusa wrote:
I was just commenting that I agree with the assessment that Dots is pretty clueless when it comes to Gypsy based on her analysis of Rose

Production of Rose I have seen:

Tyne
Bernadette
Lupone
Lavin
Buckley
McCardle
Russell
Midler
Lansbury on tape

I have read every book written on either June, Louise, Rose, Laurents, Sondheim, Robbins and Jule Styne. I certainly know "Gypsy". You are the one who seems confused. You are in way over your head when debating me on anything having to do with theater. Sorry

IndigoMedusa wrote:
Dots Parasole has now earned herself a spot on my ignore list.

I would be willing to bet a lot of money you are bluffing here.

Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:08 pm
Reply to topic   [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3